F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F30 328i 335i Front Kidney Grill / Grille removal and replacement DIY
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #155
mastereh
Private First Class
35
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 328 xDrive Sport Line
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: GTA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post
I had to break my old ones off due to extreme cold lol.

It was so cold in NY when I got my grills that the bumper would not flex enough for me to fit my hand in there after removing the 6 top screws or so.

Only other option was from the front but I couldn't get my hands in there good enough to actually release the clips, so I went ahead and cut two of the slats out LOL! I figure I can leave the black grill on on return in 3 years or I can just buy one right side grill, it won't kill me.

I will recommend people just don't even bother to do this when its freezing cold out. I came close to breaking a tab on the bumper itself due to lack of flex and one of the plastic pieces from the grill getting bent and then stuck in one of the clips. If I didn't break it then I came damn near close LOL but I'm pretty sure I did not because my grills sit perfectly flush.
I'm up in the Toronto area and yeah it's been brutal cold. I was going to go outside and put in my new grills today but may have to wait until it warms up.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #156
mastereh
Private First Class
35
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 328 xDrive Sport Line
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: GTA

iTrader: (0)

Ok so I decided to go out and try the no tools method I could get the top part lose enough but I could not get my fingers to loosen the Bottom clips. The middle and right side clip is where I couldn't get my finger below to lift up.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #157
tboooe
Brigadier General
tboooe's Avatar
830
Rep
3,087
Posts

Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The OC!

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastereh View Post
Ok so I decided to go out and try the no tools method I could get the top part lose enough but I could not get my fingers to loosen the Bottom clips. The middle and right side clip is where I couldn't get my finger below to lift up.
Did you try to do the bottom first? I found that doing the top first put more pressure on the bottom ones which makes it more difficult to remove. I would do the bottom and sides first. As you said, the top ones are fairly easy to access. Also, try some sort of L shaped tool for the bottom tabs.
__________________
My build thread

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #158
mastereh
Private First Class
35
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 328 xDrive Sport Line
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: GTA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
Did you try to do the bottom first? I found that doing the top first put more pressure on the bottom ones which makes it more difficult to remove. I would do the bottom and sides first. As you said, the top ones are fairly easy to access. Also, try some sort of L shaped tool for the bottom tabs.
Lol no.,, it's like -20 outside. I'll try again later today.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 12:51 AM   #159
vicnguyen175
New Member
vicnguyen175's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2015 428iX GranCoupe M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: IL, United States

iTrader: (0)

great DIY, could I also use this to change the grilles on my F36?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 01:06 AM   #160
tboooe
Brigadier General
tboooe's Avatar
830
Rep
3,087
Posts

Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The OC!

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnguyen175 View Post
great DIY, could I also use this to change the grilles on my F36?
You don't need to drop the bumper. Just reach in between the slats and remove the grille.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #161
vicnguyen175
New Member
vicnguyen175's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2015 428iX GranCoupe M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: IL, United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
You don't need to drop the bumper. Just reach in between the slats and remove the grille.
I tried to pull the bumper but it seems quite hard and not really flexible
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #162
tboooe
Brigadier General
tboooe's Avatar
830
Rep
3,087
Posts

Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The OC!

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnguyen175 View Post
I tried to pull the bumper but it seems quite hard and not really flexible
Did you try releasing the tabs on the grille?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 11:32 AM   #163
vicnguyen175
New Member
vicnguyen175's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2015 428iX GranCoupe M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: IL, United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
Did you try releasing the tabs on the grille?
I can't reach the tabs
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #164
vicnguyen175
New Member
vicnguyen175's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2015 428iX GranCoupe M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: IL, United States

iTrader: (0)

Finally I've done it after 30 mins tried hard. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 11:08 PM   #165
tboooe
Brigadier General
tboooe's Avatar
830
Rep
3,087
Posts

Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The OC!

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnguyen175 View Post
Finally I've done it after 30 mins tried hard. Thanks.
Great! Post pics!
__________________
My build thread

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 09:36 PM   #166
vicnguyen175
New Member
vicnguyen175's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2015 428iX GranCoupe M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: IL, United States

iTrader: (0)


Here is the result, Double slates Carbon Grilles!

Last edited by vicnguyen175; 03-30-2015 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 02:41 PM   #167
hlc1213
New Member
2
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: '15 328d M-Sport Wagon
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New York/New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

For those who are able to reach the tabs, when you say to press the tab, which direction are you pressing? For example, the top tabs, are you pushing up or pulling down?

I'm able to reach the tabs, but nothing will loosen. However, I just realized I might be going the wrong direction.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #168
tboooe
Brigadier General
tboooe's Avatar
830
Rep
3,087
Posts

Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The OC!

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlc1213 View Post
For those who are able to reach the tabs, when you say to press the tab, which direction are you pressing? For example, the top tabs, are you pushing up or pulling down?

I'm able to reach the tabs, but nothing will loosen. However, I just realized I might be going the wrong direction.
For the top ones, push the center tab down, for the bottom ones pull up.

I found loosening the top ones were easiest and the bottom ones hardest. I would start with the bottom ones, then the sides, then the top.
__________________
My build thread

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 08:33 AM   #169
hlc1213
New Member
2
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: '15 328d M-Sport Wagon
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New York/New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
For the top ones, push the center tab down, for the bottom ones pull up.

I found loosening the top ones were easiest and the bottom ones hardest. I would start with the bottom ones, then the sides, then the top.
Seems my fingers just can't get enough leverage to loosen the clips. I'm probably gonna have to do the remove bumper technique.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 08:41 AM   #170
tboooe
Brigadier General
tboooe's Avatar
830
Rep
3,087
Posts

Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The OC!

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlc1213 View Post
Seems my fingers just can't get enough leverage to loosen the clips. I'm probably gonna have to do the remove bumper technique.
Dont be afraid to pull a bit while pressing the tabs. Dont worry, the grille is pretty strong and the bumper is flexible.
__________________
My build thread

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #171
hlc1213
New Member
2
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: '15 328d M-Sport Wagon
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New York/New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
Dont be afraid to pull a bit while pressing the tabs. Dont worry, the grille is pretty strong and the bumper is flexible.
Well I tried it one more time, but still couldn't pull it out. Ended up doing the loosen bumper method. It wasn't too bad, took about 15 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 02:13 PM   #172
vicnguyen175
New Member
vicnguyen175's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2015 428iX GranCoupe M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: IL, United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlc1213 View Post
Well I tried it one more time, but still couldn't pull it out. Ended up doing the loosen bumper method. It wasn't too bad, took about 15 minutes.
I think you should try to pull the grille while pressing the middle of the tab since the bumper has holes for those tabs, not just pushing up or down. It's quite hard, I tried many times to get those off. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #173
keylime503
Lieutenant
203
Rep
586
Posts

Drives: M240i 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the DIY instructions! I don't know how most of you were able to remove the existing grills so easily, it took me about an hour and 20 minutes to get all the tabs on the first grill. The second grill took 5 minutes after that since you can just reach through the gap from the first grill to unclip. After that, popping in the new grills was a breeze and looks great.

I wasn't able to stick my fingers through the slats and twist around enough to release the tabs so I had to go with the bumper technique. Removing the bumper fastenings was easy enough but it was really difficult to bend the bumper enough to get anything more than a small flashlight behind the grill, let alone an arm. I still have marks on my right forearm from doing this almost three days ago . As others have said, the most important thing is to use one hand and actively pull the grill forward from the outside while pushing on the tab from the inside.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #174
kzflags
First Lieutenant
kzflags's Avatar
75
Rep
337
Posts

Drives: 2017 C63 coupe
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Central NJ

iTrader: (1)

Couldn't bend my bumper far enough to get a good reach to even pluck out the top 3 clips. No way I was going to be able to fit my hand down there to release the bottom ones. Is anyone else experiencing that their bumper is way too stiff to reach the clips. If I bend mine anymore it'll snap
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 08:23 AM   #175
hsk1610
Lieutenant
61
Rep
464
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Ended up doing the 1 swift pull/ yank method, which removed one grill minus 1 broken tab, and used the space to remove the tabs on the other grill to remove without any broken tab. The warmer weather helps make the clips more pliable and easier to yank out.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 11:02 AM   #176
ska///235i
***** noob
ska///235i's Avatar
United_States
948
Rep
10,506
Posts

Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzflags
Couldn't bend my bumper far enough to get a good reach to even pluck out the top 3 clips. No way I was going to be able to fit my hand down there to release the bottom ones. Is anyone else experiencing that their bumper is way too stiff to reach the clips. If I bend mine anymore it'll snap
I made a diy last week, look under this section

Only need one tool
__________________
2006 325xi (Sold)
2014 M235I (Current)
2015 428xi Gran Coupe (STB)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
3 series f30, 3 series f30 forum, 3 series forum, 3-series forum, bmw 3 series f30, bmw 3 series forum, bmw 3-series f30, bmw 3-series forum, bmw f30, bmw f30 3 series, bmw f30 3-series, bmw f30 forum, diy f30, diy guides f30, f30 3 series, f30 3 series diy, f30 3 series diy guide, f30 3 series forum, f30 3 series grille, f30 3 series grilles, f30 3-series, f30 3-series forum, f30 diy, f30 diy guides, f30 forum, f30 forums, f30 grill, f30 grill diy, f30 grille, f30 grilles, f30 grills, f30 kidney grille, f30 kidney grilles

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST