F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What type of bolt screw head is this?
GetBMWParts

04-01-2020, 11:52 PM   #1
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

What type of bolt screw head is this?

Finally got my QuickJack setup, right on time as the car turned 40K miles for fuel filter change. Also first time I used the creeper under the car, what a difference! Got the 7000EXT to also service wife's X5.

Came across a few screws of this type below the vehicle. Thankfully the one that holds the cover for fuel filter was more loose, allowing me to use pliers to unscrew. The others I tried for fun are tighter, pliers slip. Trying to see what socket this thing requires. Looks like a rounded triangle. Photo attached.

Thanks everyone,

Eugene
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 04:33 AM   #2
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, 330i xdrive

Looks like the old "we don't want you working on your car at home, so come to the dealership" bolt lol.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2020, 06:14 AM   #3
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarium81 View Post
Looks like the old "we don't want you working on your car at home, so come to the dealership" bolt lol.
Ha...lots of those parts. I also believe every manufacturer makes trim panels go on secret ways so DIYers/indies break them...so we go to dealer.

OP, what does that bolt look like sideways? Doesn't look like it'd call for a lot of torque, so hope pliers/vise grips would work on it.

Also, I'd read that the b58 doesn't have a fuel filter to change...that it's integral with the fuel pump. smh BMW's modular approach is great for them, expensive for us.

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2020, 06:31 AM   #4
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post
Quote:
Ha...lots of those parts. I also believe every manufacturer makes trim panels go on secret ways so DIYers/indies break them...so we go to dealer.

OP, what does that bolt look like sideways? Doesn't look like it'd call for a lot of torque, so hope pliers/vise grips would work on it.

Also, I'd read that the b58 doesn't have a fuel filter to change...that it's integral with the fuel pump. smh BMW's modular approach is great for them, expensive for us.
I figured it was one of their "tamper resistant" attempts to force people into dealerships. I didn't take photo of the threads, but yes, it is just basically a sheet metal screw that attaches to the little metal clips and helps to secure these panels to each other. Very low torque, basically hand tight. I will use locking pliers to see if I can unscrew all of them and replace with standard ones. Absolutely ridiculous and maddening.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 08:00 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

A six point socket would probably work. The reason for the non-standard head probably relates to the super over-size washer. It would prevent the guy on the line using the special installation tool from using the wrong fasteners.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 08:51 AM   #6
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
A six point socket would probably work. The reason for the non-standard head probably relates to the super over-size washer. It would prevent the guy on the line using the special installation tool from using the wrong fasteners.
I don't remember which exact sizes. I think I tried either 7mm or 8mm. Or was it 6mm and 7mm. Basically, one is too small, other is too large. I would have to find half size socket, my half sizes go up to 6.5mm, then switch to 1mm increments.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 09:59 AM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Yeah, because of the three point configuration it's not going to match up with a standard socket size. When one is too small and the other too large an English size might come in between the two, if you still have any.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #8
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
This is exactly it. It's a tamper proof bolt. My car didn't come with them originally but there was a SIB to have them replaced with this tamper proof one.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #9
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
Finally got my QuickJack setup, right on time as the car turned 40K miles for fuel filter change. Also first time I used the creeper under the car, what a difference! Got the 7000EXT to also service wife's X5.

Came across a few screws of this type below the vehicle. Thankfully the one that holds the cover for fuel filter was more loose, allowing me to use pliers to unscrew. The others I tried for fun are tighter, pliers slip. Trying to see what socket this thing requires. Looks like a rounded triangle. Photo attached.

Thanks everyone,

Eugene
Pick that up from Costco? I want one, but don't want the $1250 bill... but dang would it make working on cars easier.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 12:37 PM   #10
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Quote:

I believe OP has an N47 (diesel).
      04-02-2020, 03:15 PM   #11
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I believe OP has an N47 (diesel).
Yes, N47 engine. The fuel filter is placed in the darnest place on the vehicle, but I guess anything to save space under the bonnet. I hope these folks didn't switch to these tamper bolts after delivery of the car, I think threads are same as the other 10mm (?) bolts, so I plan to get standard ones and replace them back. What a bunch of nonsense, why would you need tamper bolts for your underbody cover? So you need to use the dealer? I understand tamper torx for emissions components, but this???
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 03:17 PM   #12
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHerder View Post
Quote:

Thanks everyone,

Eugene
Pick that up from Costco? I want one, but don't want the $1250 bill... but dang would it make working on cars easier.
I got it from Quick Jack directly, it is a step up version 7000EXT. Costco has shorter and lower weight version 5000, I believe.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2020, 03:42 PM   #13
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

There are 2 different bolts on RealOEM,

TS5X20 SW8
TS5X17 SW8

I think the second option - 17 - is the right size to interchange. Can anyone confirm? Thanks everyone for feedback.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 05:36 PM   #14
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

Quote:
I got it from Quick Jack directly, it is a step up version 7000EXT. Costco has shorter and lower weight version 5000, I believe.
Yeah, they still have the 5000 lb one, they just put the 7k on sale recently. How do you like it? Easy to use? What about storage?

(edited "used to" to "still" because they currently carry both of them...)

Last edited by BeerHerder; 04-02-2020 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 10:16 PM   #15
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There are 2 different bolts on RealOEM,
TS5X20 SW8
TS5X17 SW8
I think the second option - 17 - is the right size to interchange.
I'm guessing 5 is the thread diameter, 17 and 20 are the length. I bet 8 is the socket size, as I recall from dropping my front shield I used an 8mm socket.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2020, 10:48 PM   #16
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHerder View Post
Quote:
Yeah, they still have the 5000 lb one, they just put the 7k on sale recently. How do you like it? Easy to use? What about storage?

(edited "used to" to "still" because they currently carry both of them...)
Installation was a pain, I wonder why they don't already pre install all the hoses and adapters. Since once you thread everything on, all that is left is filling it up with ATF, bleeding air out, and you're ready to go.

After initial install, the system works fantastically. Changed oil 2 days ago, fuel filter yesterday. Makes the life so much easier. They are quite heavy, even heavier than 5000 model. I store them next to each other under the car, they are not in the way. I was considering handing them on wall, but it will break my back to lift almost 100 lbs each onto hooks. Under car works just fine and all I need it to pull them out when I need to use them. I got the Chinese pump version, otherwise unlabeled. I don't think they widely offer Korean pump anymore, but it doesn't struggle. It lifts the car as quickly as it does with me standing on it, no struggle at all. I would suggest getting it if you work on your own cars. For F30, 5000 series is plenty enough. Our car is under 5000 GVVR, which also estimates passengers and cargo. My wife's is well above 5000, so I decided better safe than sorry and upped the rating to 7000. Extended length is perfect for both vehicles, about an inch too shot for her X5, but covers most jack pads, so I don't feel uneasy. You can also lift sideways, one on front other in back - haven't tried that yet.
Appreciate 1