F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Blew Up B58
GetBMWParts

03-25-2020, 04:09 PM   #45
Dreculah
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT

Oh man that sucks! Glad you're back up and running.
Appreciate 1
SC_B5X403.00
      09-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #46
Dyna+
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_B5X View Post
No issues. Same motor swapped in so everything was just plug and play. Although I had to reuse my wiring harness as the one from the donor car (2018 G30 540i) was slightly different and had different length wires.
Hey man, just had the same issue happen to me, blew cyl 5 on my 2016 340i and looking for a transplant...

What did you look for to make sure it would swap in? I got a line on a 2019 M240i that I think will work and was going to pull the trigger. Everything I can find points to it still being a B58B30A so I’m thinking it should be a drop in but this is my first go with BMW’s.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #47
les anderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyna+ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_B5X View Post
No issues. Same motor swapped in so everything was just plug and play. Although I had to reuse my wiring harness as the one from the donor car (2018 G30 540i) was slightly different and had different length wires.
Hey man, just had the same issue happen to me, blew cyl 5 on my 2016 340i and looking for a transplant...

What did you look for to make sure it would swap in? I got a line on a 2019 M240i that I think will work and was going to pull the trigger. Everything I can find points to it still being a B58B30A so I'm thinking it should be a drop in but this is my first go with BMW's.
We would all love to hear more details on this. How and when, tuned, if so how and for how long, etc?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 08:18 PM   #48
Dyna+
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by les anderson View Post
We would all love to hear more details on this. How and when, tuned, if so how and for how long, etc?
Its a 2016 340i with Agency Power intake, 4” catless DP, BootMod3 Stage 2(93) Aggressive tune. I always filled up with 91 and ran the Lucas (Red Bottle) Octane booster (supposedly good for +3pts) with every fill up. Should have got me somewhere close enough to 93... I will own the fact that this is not at all the way I should have done it but....given what Ive seen on the forum here looks like its hard to say that was strictly the cause of all this.

I was sitting at a stop light when we got a stutter and then a misfire code. We went to pull away and it was in limp mode and smoking like Cheech and Chong. By the time I got it home and tested the compression it was pulling good numbers across the board with the exception of cyl5 (25psi)...I use the old “put some 20W50 in the cyl” trick to see if maybe it was just a washed out cyl... no dice, only got 50psi on the gauge. The plugs that came out didnt look that bad, normal ware, with the exception of #5 that had some extra carbon build up but nothing alarming.

Also, had a chance to scope the inside of the cyl and piston looks good (no cracks/hot spots/etc..) It was actually unusually clean compared to the other ones. It did have some rusty red spots on it but I assume that was from the fuel additives.

So, here we sit with the car on jacks and looking for a transplant to bring her back to life.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2020, 09:43 PM   #49
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Its a 2016 340i with Agency Power intake, 4” catless DP, BootMod3 Stage 2(93) Aggressive tune. I always filled up with 91 and ran the Lucas (Red Bottle) Octane booster (supposedly good for +3pts) with every fill up. Should have got me somewhere close enough to 93... I will own the fact that this is not at all the way I should have done it but....given what Ive seen on the forum here looks like its hard to say that was strictly the cause of all this.

I was sitting at a stop light when we got a stutter and then a misfire code. We went to pull away and it was in limp mode and smoking like Cheech and Chong. By the time I got it home and tested the compression it was pulling good numbers across the board with the exception of cyl5 (25psi)...I use the old “put some 20W50 in the cyl” trick to see if maybe it was just a washed out cyl... no dice, only got 50psi on the gauge. The plugs that came out didnt look that bad, normal ware, with the exception of #5 that had some extra carbon build up but nothing alarming.

Also, had a chance to scope the inside of the cyl and piston looks good (no cracks/hot spots/etc..) It was actually unusually clean compared to the other ones. It did have some rusty red spots on it but I assume that was from the fuel additives.

So, here we sit with the car on jacks and looking for a transplant to bring her back to life.
I was always under the impression that 3 octane "points" equaled .3 octane, or effectively a total of 91.3 octane in your case. After some quick online research, Lucas supposedly ups it by 30 points, for an effective octane of 94, as you stated. I'm still leery of octane boosters. How much did a bottle cost?
      09-17-2020, 12:21 AM   #50
Dyna+
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
I was always under the impression that 3 octane "points" equaled .3 octane, or effectively a total of 91.3 octane in your case. After some quick online research, Lucas supposedly ups it by 30 points, for an effective octane of 94, as you stated. I'm still leery of octane boosters. How much did a bottle cost?
You’re correct on the math. I believe that they are looking for like $12/bottle should be on par with the royal purple and what not.

My long winded theory on fuel..... Even if the pump said that it was 93 like they do on the east coast (DAMN CA!!) it would have to be an average of 93 or 93 peak, either way you would likely actually have something lower in the tank frequently... That being said not sure if I mentioned it but I would bet dollars to donuts that the difference between a 93 and 91 Tune is negligible ( I ran 91 in my A5 on a 93 eurodyne tune for years..yes years with no issue).

Anyway....here she is motor ready to yank...

Anyone know if the trans has to come out too or can you get to all the bell housing bolts with tiny hands?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-17-2020, 03:44 PM   #51
g18galvin
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4MR

Quote:

I have the same tune BM3 stage 2 (93) and almost the same mods running 94 octane fuel. Aren't BM3 tunes supposed to be reliable?
You got me worried now.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 07:22 PM   #52
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:

Have you ever checked your logs?
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 1
eluded3029.00
      09-17-2020, 08:09 PM   #53
Mr. 340
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by g18galvin View Post
I have the same tune BM3 stage 2 (93) and almost the same mods running 94 octane fuel. Aren't BM3 tunes supposed to be reliable?
You got me worried now.
Same. I got basically the same mods, bm3 stage 2 91 octane. I am very confused because it's just an OTS map.
PJ ACN91 + Meth tune| XHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 08:10 PM   #54
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
Me and another guy here have been both running boostane professional 8oz/93gas tank for over 2 years on MHD Stage2+ 95map and can't say enough good things about it..

I'm amazed how fast he replaced that engine... then I looked at his location and saw SC... They know how to do it right down there... Thumbs Up!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 08:13 PM   #55
Mr. 340
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
Me and another guy here have been both running boostane professional 8oz/93gas tank for over 2 years on MHD Stage2+ 95map and can't say enough good things about it..

I'm amazed how fast he replaced that engine... then I looked at his location and saw SC... They know how to do it right down there... Thumbs Up!
Boostane is probably the only octane booster I would use and have used. Really top notch stuff.
PJ ACN91 + Meth tune| XHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 05:09 AM   #56
Sgm123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Still wouldn’t want to put mmt in my engine and cost everything much rather use a few litres of e85/98 for the octane boost.

I have notice with logging on bm3 these engines are very sensitive to octane.
Appreciate 1
eluded3029.00
      09-18-2020, 05:36 AM   #57
Glemm1970
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: BMW M140IX.

100Ron + 20% E85 + WMI can blow calmly at 25/26 psi when properly set to hybrid turbo.
      09-18-2020, 08:39 AM   #58
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Really, you guys are worried about a tune after a freak accident? How does a tune cause an engine to blow while waiting at a stop light?

He hasn't really diagnosed the failure yet. For all you know it could be a head gasket, valve seal, anything. Good luck with your repairs.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 09:19 AM   #59
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: f32 n55

When I saw the title I was like damn thats not good, I was planning on getting another f32 with the b58 as my next car.... and then I saw his mod list and was like oh no wonder why it blew lol, glad it all worked out for him in the end. 600+whp for a daily is too much for a daily IMO but to each his own.
      09-18-2020, 12:21 PM   #60
not1337
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinniciF32 View Post
When I saw the title I was like damn thats not good, I was planning on getting another f32 with the b58 as my next car.... and then I saw his mod list and was like oh no wonder why it blew lol, glad it all worked out for him in the end. 600+whp for a daily is too much for a daily IMO but to each his own.
Check out the guy above you with only catless DP and stage 2... That's what worries me!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 04:34 PM   #61
Sgm123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

This is true and no disrespect to the stage 2 guy but running on 91 and relying on octane booster on an agressive 93 map would need a lot of logging. People running boostane are often requiring double plus what the bottle says to get the required octane.

Personally I run a 93 map with 94 octane fuel and 3-4 litres on e85 just to ensure the octane in there. On straight 94 I pull timing although generally within the 3 degree limit.

Hope you guys sort the engines soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by not1337 View Post
Check out the guy above you with only catless DP and stage 2... That's what worries me!
Appreciate 1
eluded3029.00
      09-18-2020, 09:40 PM   #62
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Really, you guys are worried about a tune after a freak accident? How does a tune cause an engine to blow while waiting at a stop light?

He hasn't really diagnosed the failure yet. For all you know it could be a head gasket, valve seal, anything. Good luck with your repairs.
+100

if anything thousands are running around OTS tuned. Freak accidents happen even stock. I’ve seen a head split due to poor casting, never been tuned ever but this is super rare. Shit happens its life and its not just cars either, shit can and does happen anywhere sometimes generally speaking
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 01:34 AM   #63
Dyna+
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu101 View Post
This is true and no disrespect to the stage 2 guy but running on 91 and relying on octane booster on an agressive 93 map would need a lot of logging. People running boostane are often requiring double plus what the bottle says to get the required octane.

Personally I run a 93 map with 94 octane fuel and 3-4 litres on e85 just to ensure the octane in there. On straight 94 I pull timing although generally within the 3 degree limit.

Hope you guys sort the engines soon
No offense taken, you are 100% correct, probably Not the best way to run it LOL

To another posters point, it sounds like its a fairly common enough issue among stock and modified b58’s alike. And,...lots of people are running around with the OTS tune no issues. It’s anyone’s guess at this point...

Started tearing into it to see if we can figure out what the deal was....pics coming soon
Appreciate 2
kern4174446.50
      09-19-2020, 01:42 AM   #64
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Yeh although as said above we dont actually know whats failed, running the 93 map on 91 and hoping octaine booster will fill the gaps is not the best

did you pull any fault codes?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 01:56 AM   #65
Dyna+
Rep

Only fault code was a Cyl 5 misfire
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 12:52 PM   #66
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Thoughts and prayers man. Good luck with your teardown.
Appreciate 0