F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Are the proximity sensors disabled in Sport/Sport+ ?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #23
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisah View Post
Not trying to cause an argument here but the system works flawlessly in other cars within the BMW range as well as other marquees.
The question was with reference to the F30 series. What other models or brands can do don't help the OP.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #24
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Not active in my 2016 with surround view either, unless I press the button. I'm with others, there should be the ability to toggle this on/off all the time, and not have to reactive.

As much as you can use the "just need to press the button", when you are pulling into a space, it basically means you come to full stop. Search the console for the button, press and continue. Basically useless.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 08:03 AM   #25
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
The front PDC sensors on the F3x ARE active all the time and WILL signal you if you get too close to an object in the front!
I intentionally get close to some bushes when maneuvering to park at my place, as this automatically activates Surround view and the vehicle remains in surround view when you then put in reverse. Otherwise putting in reverse activates the rear view camera only and I need to manually go to Surround view if I want that. Or I need to press the park button before I put in reverse.

What I don's know however is whether this exact logic and activation applied pre-LCI.

No they are not, you have to actively turn on PDC on a 2017.

In my garage I have limited space, my tool box is larger and weighs more than the F3x, but when I get close, nope. I'm about 11 cm from it right now, just hating the day I actually tap it.
As I said - it most definitely works on mine. But you need to get as close as the „red zone" to an obstacle in front for it to automatically activate! It does not react if you only get as close as the „yellow zone".

I also disliked it at first as if you are really unaware of an obstacle, the red zone is too late for an alert whilst in motion. But I guess it saves you from nuisance warnings as I've seen on some VW where you can go crazy while maneuvering.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 11-10-2019 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #26
Kaisah
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F30 LCI

Garage List
2017 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I drove a mk7 golf r for 3 years and never once had the sensors come on by accident :

Lucky you. Grap the vw forums asap then. New 2017+ have sporadic sensor confusions galore, and sunroof leaks, and blown engines, and awd failures. I'm sure I'm missing a lot here.

VW is a mess these days. Thanks for playing!
Chill out. I'm not saying VW is better than BMW or vice versa. No need to be a condescending d**k now :

If you read my other posts you'll actually see I'm agreeing with you..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 09:52 AM   #27
Kaisah
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2017 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The front PDC sensors on the F3x ARE active all the time and WILL signal you if you get too close to an object in the front!
I intentionally get close to some bushes when maneuvering to park at my place, as this automatically activates Surround view and the vehicle remains in surround view when you then put in reverse. Otherwise putting in reverse activates the rear view camera only and I need to manually go to Surround view if I want that. Or I need to press the park button before I put in reverse.

What I don's know however is whether this exact logic and activation applied pre-LCI.

No they are not, you have to actively turn on PDC on a 2017.

In my garage I have limited space, my tool box is larger and weighs more than the F3x, but when I get close, nope. I'm about 11 cm from it right now, just hating the day I actually tap it.
As I said - it most definitely works on mine. But you need to get as close as the "red zone" to an obstacle in front for it to automatically activate! It does not react if you only get as close as the "yellow zone".

I also disliked it at first as if you are really unaware of an obstacle, the red zone is too late for an alert whilst in motion. But I guess it saves you from nuisance warnings as I've seen on some VW where you can go crazy while maneuvering.
So seems it's active for some and not others. Weird! Probably hidden behind some option or some combination of options. BMW eh :

Once you get used to having to turn it on it's not too bad. Was just nice having it on auto when you're swinging into a space etc. Guess people who didn't have it as auto in the past won't miss it? Meh.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 12:13 PM   #28
CrumbyButter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i xDrive

Quote:
So seems it's active for some and not others. Weird! Probably hidden behind some option or some combination of options. BMW eh :

Once you get used to having to turn it on it's not too bad. Was just nice having it on auto when you're swinging into a space etc. Guess people who didn't have it as auto in the past won't miss it? Meh.
yeah it would be nice to have. can't see how hard it is to program by bmw - basically it should turn on if it detects enough steering wheel movement at low speeds?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 12:43 PM   #29
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
VW system does, and it's super annoying. Even rain sets off the DAP VW system. It's like the aliexpress system, but you want the real system from a real company like BMW. You are lucky you have the choice here, just tap the button.

Yes, I know tapping a button is hard in this day and age.
We have the f/r sensors on our Acura. We have owned the car for 2 years. They have never gone off in traffic. I admit that they are annoying when I pull in the garage when I don’t need them. Or in a car wash. But they come in handy when I pull into a spot,without having to turn them on. The parking sensors are probably only active at lower speeds.
Can you code them to be always on?
Appreciate 1
Kaisah71.50
      11-10-2019, 12:49 PM   #30
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

They are of course only active in low speed.
There is no related coding (that I am aware of).
I investigated as well initially as I would also prefer if it went off in e.g. the yellow zone, not the red.
      11-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #31
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
They are of course only active in low speed.
There is no related coding (that I am aware of).
I investigated as well initially as I would also prefer if it went off in e.g. the yellow zone, not the red.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #32
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Maybe people should refer to the User Manual more often...

The answers are all in there

11-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #33
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:

Except that mine does not behave this way.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #34
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yup, probably some coding mess of stock vs stock, mine is an exec demo, and have noted some other small items not "stock".

I get within maybe 12-3" from my toolbox when I pull in the garage, nothing lights up. But when I active the system via the button it all lights up and shows it all.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 04:17 PM   #35
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Except that mine does not behave this way.
Mine does (well, haven#t verified speed limits, etc.)
Do you have parking assistant?
      11-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #36
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine does (well, haven#t verified speed limits, etc.)
Do you have parking assistant?
I do! (not going to marry you, you trickster!)
Appreciate 1
Kaisah71.50
      11-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #37
Kaisah
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2017 340i  [0.00]
Haha, so it's an option? Typical BMW 😂 rediculous it's not on as standard.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #38
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Crap, got confused again, no parking assist, it's just Park Distance Control, part of the DAP package on the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 05:00 PM   #39
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

There you go.
Park Assistent is a separate option (5DP).
      11-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #40
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There you go.
Park Assistent is a separate option (5DP).

Blammo, thanks for working through that. My vw did the auto front stuff but didn't have assist, of the same year.

Thanks man!

I don't mind it, actually prefer the option to turn it on if I want to get that extra few inches in there on the front when parking.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 05:32 PM   #41
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Not active in my 2016 with surround view either, unless I press the button. I'm with others, there should be the ability to toggle this on/off all the time, and not have to reactive.

As much as you can use the "just need to press the button", when you are pulling into a space, it basically means you come to full stop. Search the console for the button, press and continue. Basically useless.
Are you serious on "SEARCH THE CONSOLE FOR THE BUTTON, PRESS AND CONTINUE".

How long do you have your car. It took me only one day to know where all the button on my F36...including my gf legs, hands without looking.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 11:41 PM   #42
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Sky high, you have adaptive cruise right? I seem to recall that was the enabling factor
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 12:47 AM   #43
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

I do indeed, but according to the manual it has nothing to do with it. (See above).
      11-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #44
paidnfull
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive M Sport

Quote:

I was gonna say. I think your car has to have the Parking Assistant package in order for it to work like that. My 2015 F30 is like most here with just the sensors on in reverse, but my girl has a 2016 F48 X1 with the Parking Assistant and her's comes on automatically at low speed for parking & in reverse. Never in slow traffic though, which I still don't get how the car knows.
Appreciate 0