F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Figured out: How the HUD works
Extreme Powerhouse

02-04-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Figured out: How the HUD works

If you recall, I had a desperate call for help (thread Coding Help), when I changed something and my HUD would not display any graphics from the NBT.

I was given some great advise on how to code the ECU directly to reset defaults from @HFW003.

My personality however didn't allow me to go through this and I spent the whole day and majority of the night coding and re coding figuring out what the hell I did wrong.

Finally I found out unfortunately my machine ran out of juice for me to take screen shots but I will update this thread later.

Basically the HUD works on two principles or "areas" and as a specific type

BMW makes two HUD's the first I am assuming is the old type:
1. HUD with its own controller and logic
2. HUD controlled by KOMBI computer - F30 has this one

Area 1: Is a feed from the KOMBI and it works on a resolution of 217 x 100 or 189x XXX (Something when my machine is charged I will update), this is controlled by KOMBI_AUTOXXX (XXX= spelling I will update), this allows you to specify the resolution of the first area which is where all KOMBI messages are displayed. Right now I am running it at 217 x 100 and that works well

Area 2: Is the feed from the NBT flag NBT_AUTOXXX, now this works ok on 217 x100 until you do some navigation then all the arrow view navigation types don't fit on that part of the HUD. The arrow is cut off and all other directions are also cut off. So minimizing it down to 189 x 1xx worked like factory.

The other interesting part was the flag that turned off coms to AREA two (I will get the name and post here when updating above).

Then came some other interesting parts, there are flags for the type of BITMAP displayed on the HUD (for intersections etc) and the resolution as well.

It seems like BMW can show anything from the NBT and the Kombi on these HUD's. The question now is WHEN. It would require a ECU update from BMW to show more info on these HUD's the architecture is certainly there.

Will update the thread.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
STX535
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i Modern Line

It would be sweet to add the Time/Clock on the HUD. Great find.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Or to add the info that shows up on the dash when you tap the end of the turn signal stalk
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
troyleescong
Rep
Drives: 325i

Hi MyFastM3, any coding or programming need for HUD retrofit? I have the extended kombi and CIC idrive, are they enough? Thanks in advanced!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyleescong View Post
Hi MyFastM3, any coding or programming need for HUD retrofit? I have the extended kombi and CIC idrive, are they enough? Thanks in advanced!
I dont think you can have a HUD with CIC it requires NBT in addition you have to replace the entire dash to get HUD as its built in. You might as well buy a new car!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
HUD with CIC is no problem. There are Exx cars and early Fxx cars with this configuration.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
mougwai
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320I

i retrofited HUD in my car:

You need :
6WA Kombi with HSD output
HUD
harness for HSD
Power supply of HUD is get from Kombi

You do not need to change Dashboard, it can be modified by cutting : it is a hard job because, you need to remove dashboard from the car and change air duct...

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
Fenster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Supposedly the windshield also has a special coating so technically you would have to replace that as well. Can't believe it makes much difference though.
      04-15-2014, 12:10 AM   #9
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mougwai View Post

You need :
HUD
harness for HSD

You do not need to change Dashboard, it can be modified by cutting : it is a hard job because, you need to remove dashboard from the car and change air duct...

Wow ok ... that's awesome!

If only you did then ACC retrofit I'm trying to get that done
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 04:15 AM   #10
mougwai
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
Supposedly the windshield also has a special coating so technically you would have to replace that as well. Can't believe it makes much difference though.
Yes, We replaced WIndshiled by HUD version with Kafas camera (retrofited).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFastM3 View Post
Wow ok ... that's awesome!

If only you did then ACC retrofit I'm trying to get that done
ACC retrofited it is a really hard job, you need to replace ABS, sensor for ABS and much more... and need a FSC code
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 04:51 AM   #11
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, We replaced WIndshiled by HUD version with Kafas camera (retrofited).

ACC retrofited it is a really hard job, you need to replace ABS, sensor for ABS and much more... and need a FSC code
Yeah I thought so

Just like the - LCW, Collision warning and Pedestrian warning apparently they all use the same cameras and ecu as Speed Limit Info and High Beam assist, however one requires a FSC code to enable them.

Apparently (maybe you can confirm) this is on FSC code BMW will not release?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 05:13 AM   #12
mougwai
Private
Rep

FSC for Speed limit info can be ordered with your VIN:
part number is 65 50 2 184 753

Pedestrian and Collision warning need FSC code that cannot be delivred by BMW dealer : there is no part number for them...

LCW does not need FSC, i retrofited with Kafas camera and work great: need steering with vibrator and control panel (need to cut dashboard):
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 09:11 AM   #13
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Pedestrian and Collision warning need FSC code that cannot be delivred by BMW dealer : there is no part number for them...

LCW does not need FSC, i retrofited with Kafas camera and work great: need steering with vibrator and control panel (need to cut dashboard):
You done a lot of retrofits

LCW I tried (I have High Beam assist with Speed Limit Info (Factory)) - The interesting part in trying to get it going it would keep throwing Collision and Pedestrian Warning Errors, which I had to get the dealer to remove as I could not get them reset .....

So there is basically no way to get the Front Collision Warning and Pedestrian Warning System FSC's unless you get them from BMW Germany... which is close to impossible.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #14
mougwai
Private
Rep

Some people can get them, but for a lof of money..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #15
pijar
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d Xdrive

Quote:

How much is it to het the FSC code for the speed limit you are talimg about here? I have all the hardware necessary, LDW, FCW etc SLI not owrking would love to have it...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #16
Zulbat
Rep
Drives: F20 120D

SLI also needs GPS any version should work.

I think shawn mentioned a while back a price of about 400$ for the code but its not yet available for U.S. I think it is only availaible in (most) European contries and a few other countries.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #17
cedchung
Lieutenant
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25, 2014 F30

Quote:

You need :
HUD
harness for HSD

What do I have to look for to know if my 6WA kombi has HSD support?
Did you have to change the dashboard carrier (attached picture)?
Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by cedchung; 02-29-2016 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #18
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

You need :
HUD
harness for HSD

What did you do with the airvent? First picture is without HUD and second with HUD. This is the airvent on top of the dash, so did you change this to? Otherwise you cant cut a hole
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 02:21 PM   #19
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
As this thread was resurrected, you do not need an FSC code to retrofit ACC, I've done it. Maybe you do if you don't already have any prerequisite driver assistance features but there isn't an FSC just for ACC.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 03:28 AM   #20
Funkier
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 316i + F54 Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFastM3 View Post
If you recall, I had a desperate call for help (thread Coding Help), when I changed something and my HUD would not display any graphics from the NBT.

I was given some great advise on how to code the ECU directly to reset defaults from @HFW003.

My personality however didn't allow me to go through this and I spent the whole day and majority of the night coding and re coding figuring out what the hell I did wrong.

Finally I found out unfortunately my machine ran out of juice for me to take screen shots but I will update this thread later.

Basically the HUD works on two principles or "areas" and as a specific type

BMW makes two HUD's the first I am assuming is the old type:
1. HUD with its own controller and logic
2. HUD controlled by KOMBI computer - F30 has this one

Area 1: Is a feed from the KOMBI and it works on a resolution of 217 x 100 or 189x XXX (Something when my machine is charged I will update), this is controlled by KOMBI_AUTOXXX (XXX= spelling I will update), this allows you to specify the resolution of the first area which is where all KOMBI messages are displayed. Right now I am running it at 217 x 100 and that works well

Area 2: Is the feed from the NBT flag NBT_AUTOXXX, now this works ok on 217 x100 until you do some navigation then all the arrow view navigation types don't fit on that part of the HUD. The arrow is cut off and all other directions are also cut off. So minimizing it down to 189 x 1xx worked like factory.

The other interesting part was the flag that turned off coms to AREA two (I will get the name and post here when updating above).

Then came some other interesting parts, there are flags for the type of BITMAP displayed on the HUD (for intersections etc) and the resolution as well.

It seems like BMW can show anything from the NBT and the Kombi on these HUD's. The question now is WHEN. It would require a ECU update from BMW to show more info on these HUD's the architecture is certainly there.

Will update the thread.
Outstanding work! Do you think we can fashion out our own additional displays with Arduino's for example?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 03:46 AM   #21
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

Anyone that did a HUD retrofit without changing windshield found a sollution for the window? I changed the light/rain/solar sensor to hud and its much clearer now, but still have the blurry cause of the windshield.

Is there a folie or something you can use and one that can cover the whole window so its not noticable, cause i dont want a stupid hud screen that you put against the windshield cause its cheap and looks fugly.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #22
chrbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 and BMW Z3 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneyer View Post
What did you do with the airvent? First picture is without HUD and second with HUD. This is the airvent on top of the dash, so did you change this to? Otherwise you cant cut a hole
I'm also VERY interested in hearing some updates on dash cutting procedure!!
has anyone tried this with success? I don't want a leaking air duct.
Appreciate 0