F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > b58 engine replacement recall
proTUNING Freaks

03-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #111
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
lol.... geez guys.... he just asked for a better loaner!
Didn't read the whole thread, huh?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #112
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
I disagree. You go and sell your car when you're done with it and the Carfax comes back as "engine replaced", I'm confident that would warrant less of a trade-in value. I mean, when I sold my last car a member here was interested but was turned off by the car having had 2+ owners despite a clean Carfax.
Did you sell it?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #113
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
I disagree. You go and sell your car when you're done with it and the Carfax comes back as "engine replaced", I'm confident that would warrant less of a trade-in value. I mean, when I sold my last car a member here was interested but was turned off by the car having had 2+ owners despite a clean Carfax.
+1 I can careless if the engine was swapped at BMW dealership or not... once I see that I move on to next car right away not for me, def. not at the same price.
      03-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #114
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by __ View Post
I did read the whole thread.

His added justification comments withstanding, the net net was 1) he wanted a better loaner and 2) he's going to try and see what additional reparations he can secure from the dealer. If they don't, then it ends there. I don't see what the big deal is.

The value OP added to this community outweigh his personal form of consumerism.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #115
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
I've been researching more, and my post might be completely wrong.

There is a "crankshaft guide bearing" in the middle of the engine that keeps the crankshaft stable on the longitudinal axis:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_6364

But I can't think why the guide bearings would be different manual/automatic. Maybe the shells were used on a run of engines designed for MT?

Anyone cot a copy of the SIB that details the inspection procedure?
probably has nothing to do with MT/AT. Coincidence.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #116
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
My prediction is at some point there will be a class action lawsuit against CarFax for reporting information that causes the value of a used car to be diminished, but not being a reliable source for unequivocally accurate information.

CarFax has zero right to the information it reports and for the benefit of the affected owners BMWNA ought to make sure this repair doesn't make it into records that CarFax has access to.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #117
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Disregard - apparently "guide bearing" = "thrust bearing".

Last edited by BavarianFanatic; 03-01-2016 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #118
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

Quote:
My prediction is at some point there will be a class action lawsuit against CarFax for reporting information that causes the value of a used car to be diminished, but not being a reliable source for unequivocally accurate information.

CarFax has zero right to the information it reports and for the benefit of the affected owners BMWNA ought to make sure this repair doesn't make it into records that CarFax has access to.
I 100% agree with this and I feel this is coming sooner than later, to me its a huge scam, its a loophole they have found for now
      03-01-2016, 01:02 PM   #119
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:

I don't disagree. Still, the info will almost certainly be reported today thus likely affecting resale value in the future.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #120
bily
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G05, 22 G26

Garage List
2022 i4  [10.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428 Cabriolet  [0.00]
I would just want to know if it is s new engine or refurbished. Let's not kid ourselves we know they have the right to replace it with 'used' as long as they cover it under warranty. Most parts I would not care about. The engine is one I would.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #121
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily View Post
I would just want to know if it is s new engine or refurbished. Let's not kid ourselves we know they have the right to replace it with 'used' as long as they cover it under warranty. Most parts I would not care about. The engine is one I would.
I highly doubt they will replace it with a new engine, I had a transmission problem when I first got my car and the transmission needed to be replaced, their intention was a remanufactured tranny. When I complained that I didn't want a brand new car with a remanufactured tranny they opted to put me in a brand new car (same exact spec) instead of replacing the faulty tranny for a new one.

Last edited by IndotagSwizz; 03-01-2016 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: misspelled
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #122
dtl1125
Private
Rep
Drives: dark grey metallic 340i xdrive

the engine is a brand new model to begin with....how would they have a refurbished one?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #123
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtl1125 View Post
the engine is a brand new model to begin with....how would they have a refurbished one?
rebuilding the ones we are talking about as they get returned. Can't believe they would do that though. THAT would devalue car for sure IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #124
dtl1125
Private
Rep
Drives: dark grey metallic 340i xdrive

you think they're not sending out the new ones until the dealer sends back the old one?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 01:32 PM   #125
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You may indeed receive one that's brand new at this point. But once this campaign starts, the engines that are returned will be rebuilt and then put back into inventory as refurbs.

Also, bear in mind that during all of the QC checks that are performed along the way, there's always a chance that a motor might not pass a test and be pulled from the line for evaluation. They would correct whatever the issue was (if feasible) and place it in service inventory. Even then, they're essentially brand new.

Either way, there's little to be concerned about if you know that BMW themselves were responsible for the refurbishment. They're paying quite a bit of money to have the dealership do the swap and they're going to warrant the replacement. You can be sure they're not going to be cutting any corners.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2016, 02:00 PM   #126
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
OK, who is this "mystery" poster anyway?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 02:26 PM   #127
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Guys, guys, guys - this is being blown WAY out of proportion. Based on the Bimmerfest post, it's the PILOT BEARING that's an issue. This is NOT an internal crankshaft journal or thrust bearing. It's a small bearing that's pressed into the rear hub of the crankshaft that supports the input shaft of the manual transmission. That's why it's only applicable to manuals. Automatics don't have an input shaft that's supported by the crankshaft.
So why does the SIB state it is a crankshaft guide bearing?

The pilot bearing you refer to is fitted in the dual mass flywheel, (not the crankshaft) and does not require any engine investigation to check or replace. Transmission would have to be removed to physically check the pilot bearing.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #128
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily
Refurbished. With no way of telling how many miles were on it initially? That does not sound right.
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #129
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
So why does the SIB state it is a crankshaft guide bearing?

The pilot bearing you refer to is fitted in the dual mass flywheel, (not the crankshaft) and does not require any engine investigation to check or replace. Transmission would have to be removed to physically check the pilot bearing.
I think you're thinking of the throwout bearing? It's not actually attached to anything, but it rides on the input shaft and is captured by the clutch fork. The pilot bearing is indeed in the crank hub, not the dmfw.

And, it's a case of semantics. A pilot bearing IS a guide bearing.

Based on the description (binding clutch, etc.), NOTHING internal to the motor would ever cause those symptoms. It's also why this apparently only affects manuals...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 02:46 PM   #130
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

It's sounds to me there are a couple things wrong here.

One, this is not a Carfax thread, feel free to start one.

Two, there is massive speculation about what is amiss, what can happen, and why the engine is replaced.

I would think that if they could get away with a flywheel or tranny replacement they would do just that. They are replacing engines.

I thank the original poster for notifying us. I think he is being highly inconvenienced and can ask for whatever would ease his worries. #1, if I bought a four door and not a coupe I wouldn't feel bad asking for another sedan, 5-series or not. He is also the unlucky owner who is going to be living with the replacement motor, don't tell me if it was you you'd drive off in the new motor and never give it another thought.

Funny how when people don't have to sign their names or speak face to face they don't feel bad about trashing an entire generation of people. Not really that far away from the "peculiar institution" line of thought.
Appreciate 4
nozydog465.00
      03-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #131
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
lol at no point did I say I'm not. it's just talk. I'm in the 535 and I'm patiently waiting for my car. what's all the fuss about....what bc I may ask for something else on top of it....well why not. if they say yes then great if not then it ends there.
Figured I would jump in this firefight, since we got several issues--I think you are entitled to some good faith compensation...yeah, things go wrong and can be fixed, no reason to be pissy on that, but I would feel irritated if it was my brand new car that I waited for a long time to get and now I don't get to drive for several weeks, which is very different than a small item that might take a couple days.. A nice loaner is great and I understand BMW will take a loss on this, but I think they should offer something, whether it be MPPK, a couple of full details or some type of voucher for the next lease.
Many industries such as Airline and Hospitality do offer something above and beyond just making the current problem right. And it makes a huge difference if he owned the car because then the service record shows engine replacement which is a big red flag for the next buyer.

Last edited by jgoens; 03-01-2016 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #132
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
I think you're thinking of the throwout bearing? It's not actually attached to anything, but it rides on the input shaft and is captured by the clutch fork. The pilot bearing is indeed in the crank hub, not the dmfw.

And, it's a case of semantics. A pilot bearing IS a guide bearing.

Based on the description (binding clutch, etc.), NOTHING internal to the motor would ever cause those symptoms. It's also why this apparently only affects manuals...
I read the SIB and understand it is the crankshaft guide bearing on the central crank journal. Which bearing on the crankshaft includes thrust control. Hence dropping the sump to see what the wear/damage is.

The pilot bearing I refer to is pressed into the dual mass flywheel. It is not in the end of the crankshaft (see RealOEM). I'm not thinking anything to do with clutch release/thrust bearings. If it is the pilot (spigot) bearing then it is a transmission removal and inspection, does not require an engine sump pan drop.

A worn crankshaft guide/thrust bearing can have an impact on clutch performance and action, as the crank moves axially to and fro, specifically forward in the crankcase. Also noise and vibrations can come back through the clutch assembly.
Appreciate 0