F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 10.25" Android Multimedia screen fitted
ARMA SPEED

03-05-2018, 04:29 PM   #67
Maxwell_RS
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty81 View Post
Been reading a few posts where people have said these units are quite slow. One guy on the fb group sold it as it said it was too buggy and ended up getting on ofn these smart boxes. It only allows you to run Apple play but this is the main thing I want really. Also reading that the sound quality is bad on the android unit which would be a problem for me as I have a £1600 audio set up. Here’s the unit what do you think

http://www.unichip-tec.com/pd.jsp?id=16#_jcp=2
Would be into that. Would like to keep my curreny NBT set up. But just have EBT and Apple Carplay. This looks like a good solution
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 03:03 AM   #68
matty81
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Here's a video of it working, its similar price to the Android unit, id like the android unit but the bad audio quality puts me off and the fact its laggy with some apps

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #69
matty81
First Lieutenant
Rep

So I got th unichip CarPlay fitted today amp and I can say I’m really pleased with it, works well and does exactly what I wanted. Took me about 3 hours to fit
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 05:37 AM   #70
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty81 View Post
So I got th unichip CarPlay fitted today
Where did you get the unit from? UK seller? Any special tools needed to install?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 05:44 AM   #71
matty81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
Where did you get the unit from? UK seller? Any special tools needed to install?
No just a screw driver. There’s a video on YouTube they shows Yugoslavia how to fit it. I ordered it direct of their site it only took about 3 days to arrive. If you email them you can haggle a little bit off
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      02-09-2019, 04:37 AM   #72
roni_job
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 2015

Features

Hi there, sorry wanted to check does yours have any issues with DAB radio and rattle sounds from the actual screen unit? I bought mine from ewaying but having issues with it and they have agreed to give a refund.

Shall appreciate your feedback.

QUOTE=BrennanF30;22399102]Got my Android screen fitted to my F30 last night, essentially the new screen is an Android tablet inside but built specifically for BMW 3 & 4 series cars as an aftermarket replacement display. It is a 10.25" full HD 1080p touchscreen display running the latest Android OS, optimised for BMW cars.

It has a host of features including Navigation, internet browser, DVD playback, to name but a few. Whilst the system runs a stand alone Android OS, a quick tap on one of the options on the screen brings you back to BMW original idrive system should you need to change any car settings.

Full HD 1080P music videos and movies can also be watched full screen in high definition, uploaded onto the system via USB.

Im very pleased with the smoothness and responsiveness of the screen, it goes above and beyond my expectations of it, it looks and feels OEM and it is a true multimedia experience in your car, a great solution for anyone looking to upgrade from their very basic screen or pro nav screen.

Please note, this is not the Avin USA screen you have saw elsewhere on the forum, they seem to have major build quality issues. This one is much different has been developed for use on the European market.

[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #73
BrennanF30
BMWLad
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

Garage List
BMW F30 M Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni_job View Post
Hi there, sorry wanted to check does yours have any issues with DAB radio and rattle sounds from the actual screen unit? I bought mine from ewaying but having issues with it and they have agreed to give a refund.

Shall appreciate your feedback.

QUOTE=BrennanF30;22399102]Got my Android screen fitted to my F30 last night, essentially the new screen is an Android tablet inside but built specifically for BMW 3 & 4 series cars as an aftermarket replacement display. It is a 10.25" full HD 1080p touchscreen display running the latest Android OS, optimised for BMW cars.

It has a host of features including Navigation, internet browser, DVD playback, to name but a few. Whilst the system runs a stand alone Android OS, a quick tap on one of the options on the screen brings you back to BMW original idrive system should you need to change any car settings.

Full HD 1080P music videos and movies can also be watched full screen in high definition, uploaded onto the system via USB.

Im very pleased with the smoothness and responsiveness of the screen, it goes above and beyond my expectations of it, it looks and feels OEM and it is a true multimedia experience in your car, a great solution for anyone looking to upgrade from their very basic screen or pro nav screen.

Please note, this is not the Avin USA screen you have saw elsewhere on the forum, they seem to have major build quality issues. This one is much different has been developed for use on the European market.

[/QUOTE]

No issues with DAB or rattles from the screen, it’s a perfect fit and very secure. Feels like it was factory fitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6times7 View Post
I don't know - BrennanF30 is Irish isn't he? I reckon he's got some super hi def, Ultra HD4K F30 photo taking potato
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 07:15 AM   #74
alpha_male
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by a803sgo View Post
I got the Avin one a while ago, its a great upgrade and only cost £360...

Get yourself a Wi-Fi OBD2 adapter and use the Torque app to get some dials on the screen, coolant temp, dpf temp etc all very useful and look cool... to car nerds!

Hi, sorry to bring this thread back up but I am looking at this screen (also considering upgrade to 8.8"). Is that part on the right hand side like an info display with just speed and fuel reserve? Can you have the map on the right hand side instead ? Ideally I want my radio stations down the left and then map on right for example.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 11:50 AM   #75
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_male View Post
Hi, sorry to bring this thread back up but I am looking at this screen (also considering upgrade to 8.8"). Is that part on the right hand side like an info display with just speed and fuel reserve? Can you have the map on the right hand side instead ? Ideally I want my radio stations down the left and then map on right for example.
I'm interested too. Let me know what specific unit you're looking at. I'm somewhat concerned that most of the suppliers seem to be HK based and none are what you might call "a household name"! Getting fed up with using my phone for Waze and using the clunky music interface on NBT.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #76
alpha_male
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I'm interested too. Let me know what specific unit you're looking at. I'm somewhat concerned that most of the suppliers seem to be HK based and none are what you might call "a household name"! Getting fed up with using my phone for Waze and using the clunky music interface on NBT.
So far I have been looking at the the Android 8.1 six core units coming in at around £305 posted (aliexpress). As you say though, no household names. They all seem to come from China and probably all come from a limited number of factories - Avin seem to be the only mainstream Western supplier I found but they do work out more expensive. BUT you would probably get more timely support should it be required. I assume the h/w is all the same anyhow.

Since my original post I am probably going to go for OEM 8.8" retrofit since I never managed to find out if the split screen is supported on the Android unit and it'll work out roughly £100 cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #77
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

There's a guy on eBay selling both the Android 7.1 and 8.1 versions - UK seller and doesn't require coding

7.1 version
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-Ser...5/323298585484

8.1 version
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-F30-F...S/323611959017
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 02:41 AM   #78
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHamz View Post
There's a guy on eBay selling both the Android 7.1 and 8.1 versions - UK seller and doesn't require coding

7.1 version
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-Ser...5/323298585484

8.1 version
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-F30-F...S/323611959017
Thanks for that. I might take the plunge and go for it. I have an Android unit in my TT (XTrons) and I'm very happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #79
PixelVogue
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've got one in my M6 but the audio is pants compared to the OEM, mine is older 4.4 version so might upgrade to the 9 one see if its any better with MP3s
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #80
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Got the latest Android 9.0 pie from Avinusa.
Seems decent enough and they’ve discounted the price a fair bit on their web site.
Beware that some of the cheaper units aren’t quite as robust.
ADC a uk based unit showed the difference on the FB group
      02-26-2022, 11:59 PM   #81
Doncee
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 2015 2.5D

Reopening this thread. I have recently installed an Android 11 version in my 4 series. The lastest specification screens are very fast and very responsive. Snapdragron 662 processor is the one to go for. I chose the 6gb Rom and 128gb ram. Very impressed. I also used the OEM GPS with the Android screeen by using and splitter cable instead of the add on GPS. This gives fantastic GPS signals. I also added a DAB usb dongle to the screen to give me DAB radio. Instead of using the windscreen aerial that comes with the DAB dongle, I used the OEM DAB aerial by using a splitter cable. It works well too. When using the splitters, all the orignial BMW GPS and DAB work perfectly. Let me know if you need any information on the Android unit or the DAB splitter cables.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 06:07 AM   #82
Dufftx
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 and F32

Not directly related to the original post, but does anyone know if it's possible to get just a touch screen to replace the OEM pronav screen? I have android auto/carplay installed with a MMI box but I'd like a touchscreen instead of having to use the iDrive wheel the whole time..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 07:49 AM   #83
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe with MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dufftx View Post
Not directly related to the original post, but does anyone know if it's possible to get just a touch screen to replace the OEM pronav screen? I have android auto/carplay installed with a MMI box but I'd like a touchscreen instead of having to use the iDrive wheel the whole time..
How timely to revive this thread! As per my recent post, I cracked the idrive screen so rather than just buying the planned android box, I might swap out the screen as well.
I linked to this, but if there are better options out there (particularly ensuring high sound quality which I understand can be an issue), please post here.
ta!
https://droiduk.com/product/bmw-3-se...82-android-11/

This one is a touch IPS screen and nothing indicates it wouldn't work on the 4-series. I'm sure there are cheaper Aliexpress options, but not sure what is the best choice at the moment.
Btw, is 10.25" bigger than the OEM screen?

Last edited by winther1; 02-27-2022 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dufftx2.50
      02-27-2022, 10:45 AM   #84
Dufftx
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 and F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by winther1 View Post
How timely to revive this thread! As per my recent post, I cracked the idrive screen so rather than just buying the planned android box, I might swap out the screen as well.
I linked to this, but if there are better options out there (particularly ensuring high sound quality which I understand can be an issue), please post here.
ta!
https://droiduk.com/product/bmw-3-se...82-android-11/

This one is a touch IPS screen and nothing indicates it wouldn't work on the 4-series. I'm sure there are cheaper Aliexpress options, but not sure what is the best choice at the moment

Cheers for that. The one you linked seems like a full android unit though which I don't really need. Ideally I'd just like a replacement screen with touch functionality. They might not exist though as all I can see from looking online are full android units haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 10:09 AM   #85
roundy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

I know this is an older topic guys but just wondering have any of you had issues with Droiduk screens and google maps working over wifi/hotspot/sim?

I just can't get mine to always see where I am on the map or plan the route and it's driving me mad. I cleared the storage/cache for google maps and it worked once but since then it just sits there doing nothing like it can't get a signal of my location. Everything else works connection-wise, apps all update can stream etc.

Droid uk suggested uninstalling google maps and retrying but I don't think you can unless you wipe the unit and start again as it's a base app.

Going to try downloading some of google maps and see if it can plan routes then if that doesn't work maybe set the unit back to default and retry.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 01:25 PM   #86
troyf763
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbles View Post
Has anyone got Android Auto to work on these units?
Hi i just change to an android phone was previously using apple car play and now switched to android auto having no issues apart from my idrive controller will only select between 3 items on the screen to access most features I have to use the touch screen. Using a 12.5 Ali express special
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 03:57 PM   #87
roundy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Presume your android auto is via the USB cable and not wireless?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 04:47 AM   #88
troyf763
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320d xdrive

Android auto is done over Bluetooth with no issues other than getting a Bluetooth keeps stopping error everytime I start the car but it's cleared with back button after a few items and then functions fine
Appreciate 0