F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Anyone else see these MP stage 2 engine & tranny tune numbers on stock car? WOW!!
ARMA SPEED

01-20-2019, 09:27 PM   #23
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but these stage packages make no sense if all of them can be run on a stock car. It would eliminate a lot of confusion and question if they consolidated everything.
Quote:
I'm off topic? First few posts pretty much solved the mystery. Posts 5, 6, and 7 are asking what's needed for various maps. 3 posts in a row of unsure potential customers. And it's the same sort of questions in all of their threads. I mean now it's not even stage 1 and 2, they're advertising stage 2+? But you guys got it.
Yes, it's just you and yes we've got it. But you'll still keep rambling like the kid in class who needed remedial help and kept dragging down the entire group. Please take the advice and contact Alex directly.
      01-20-2019, 10:10 PM   #24
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
okay guys - like I posted in my other thread off to MP tomorrow to see what the next stage and trans flash will get me - will post results soon / may have another forum member joining me / anyhoo - good times ahead
Dyno or dragy numbers?

Nice
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 10:15 PM   #25
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

Kern417 - one more reply and I'll help you out and start a new thread for you called: Kern417 doesn't understand MP offerings and needs help

That or you can pick up the phone and call MP or maybe even drop chenry an IM - ive bought things from him in the past and he's super responsive - and it seems he's going to MP tomorrow - we are adults here and at this point you are simply trolling or passing time by e-thuging
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 10:21 PM   #26
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
Dyno or dragy numbers?

Nice
thank you - so i spent one day with my draggy - still in car - but haven't played around with it in a while - best I got was 4.2 (0-60) on stage 1 all stock 3 gallons E85 - draggy is still mounted and ill run it soon

So we'll see....
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 12:27 AM   #27
MissionPerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Guys, I have no idea where the confusion came from but let me explain. Actually we have been getting call after call every day from people asking us as to the differences between stage 1 and stage 2, so we started a separate mFlasher official thread to clarify the differences. But even that doesn't seem to help. Here is hopefully a better explanation:

1) Stage 1: This could be described as improved MPPSK tune. It's designed for basically stock hardware and has adaptive functions to slightly increase or decrease power based on current fuel/conditions. This is a safest type of tune for those customers that don't want to push limits of the hardware, but do want a bit more "oomph" from their car.

2) Stage2: This pushes the limits of the hardware much more then Stage 1 does. It has more timing, more boost, more laid request and such. We highly recommend going with better flowing intake/exhaust for this tune since we are starting to come close to limits. This tune still will adapt to conditions, but adaptations are slower.

3) Stage 3: Also know for now as stage 2+. This is where we really start to push limits of the hardware. We start running low on fuel pressure, EGts are hotter and such. Even more boost (now boost is fully limited by stock turbo as the turbo is working at 100%), more ignition and more advanced VANOS control.

You need to understand something. BMW rates this engines at the numbers they post as that being a threshold of best reliability vs power. The more power you gain, the less reliability you get. By reliability we are talking about more extreme conditions inside combustion chamber resulting on more wear. Simply put, more power, more wear.

For example, I run stage 3 on my personal cars all the time now. The cars are fully stock, and I know how the cars behave and when I should back off throttle if I feel some hesitation/knock/over spin of turbo. None of my stock hardware cars ever had a failure, driven on tracks, daily drive and what ever I have put them through. Now, you give a car like this to a kid that dumps some questionable Arco 91 and goes street racing. Beat that same car hard enough on the worst conditions, don't respond to the car's behavior and guess what, you will melt valves/bend rods and such.

That is why we build tunes and have specific "recommendations" for the supporting mods. It is complete up to you as to what you want to do. If you want to run 87 and stage 3, you can as it's your choose. All we can do is give you specific calibration and recommendations to get the best safety/performance.

........... off topic example......
For computer geeks out there, think about overclocking. Take a 8086k for example and start overclocking it. You get to 5ghz relatively simply with 1.28/1.3 volts and that results in a very stable and safe overclocking. After that, each 100mhz takes more and more voltage until you get to 5.3ghz and you need over 1.5volt. Now you are running a risk of burning your CPU up or frying up your voltage regulators.....this is just an example of how all of this works but this way you can relate to tuning.
Appreciate 2
nikman011174.50
David0ff1059.00
      01-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #28
grassy_91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 340i

For anyone hesitating on flashing their car with MP, I am here to tell you to absolutely get it done! My JB4 was rough and inconsistent even with meth. Now with Alex’s stage 2+ engine flash and stage 1 trans flash the car is buttery smooth and a lot faster! My car no longer cuts power when I shift; it just keeps going. FYI I’m running a cat-less downpipe, 91, and 2 gallons of e85. I disconnected the meth for now and will add it later on but so far I really don’t miss it.

I would also like to mention that forum member “chenry”’s car has the same flash and is stock except for a drop in air filter.... his car is like a rocket ship as well. We had the tunes done at the same time today and both left with huge smiles on our faces.
KWv3/JB4/IC/DP/CP 410whp/463wtq
'06 Lexus IS350 BC/Work/AFE/Invidia/FSport/Wald

Last edited by grassy_91; 01-21-2019 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 08:00 PM   #29
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy_91 View Post
For anyone hesitating on flashing their car with MP, I am here to tell you to absolutely get it done! My JB4 was rough and inconsistent even with meth. Now with Alex’s stage 2+ engine flash and stage 1 trans flash the car is buttery smooth and a lot faster! My car no longer cuts power when I shift; it just keeps going. FYI I’m running a cat-less downpipe, 91, and 2 gallons of e85. I disconnected the meth for now and will add it later on but so far I really don’t miss it.

I would also like to mention that forum member “chenry”’s car has the same flash and is stock except for a drop in air filter.... his car is like a rocket ship as well. We had the tunes done at the same time today and both left with huge smiles on our faces.
Could you just run the meth in addition to the tune and have the benefit of a higher octane when going full throttle?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 10:40 PM   #30
grassy_91
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
Could you just run the meth in addition to the tune and have the benefit of a higher octane when going full throttle?
The JB4 was screwing up things with the flash because it was still trying to “trick” it (sorry if I didn’t word that well- I’m not too good with this kind of thing”. I will have to message terry or payam over at BMS to see what I can do, but in the meantime running 91 with some e85 is sufficient. If I want more power in the future I’ll just go with a ps1 or ps2 and take it back to Alex for fine tuning. He definitely knows what he’s doing

Edit: I believe you would have to purchase a separate meth controller that doesn’t rely on the JB4. As soon as we disconnected the JB4 everything was perfect.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 07:21 AM   #31
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
Yes, it's just you and yes we've got it. But you'll still keep rambling like the kid in class who needed remedial help and kept dragging down the entire group. Please take the advice and contact Alex directly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
Kern417 - one more reply and I'll help you out and start a new thread for you called: Kern417 doesn't understand MP offerings and needs help

That or you can pick up the phone and call MP or maybe even drop chenry an IM - ive bought things from him in the past and he's super responsive - and it seems he's going to MP tomorrow - we are adults here and at this point you are simply trolling or passing time by e-thuging
I'm not the one that's confused. I'm stating the obvious, which is backed by alex's response that they are constantly getting questions about the tunes. If they streamlined their offerings like every other tuner, most of the questions would go away. One tune is for 91, one tune is for 93, one tune is for a downpipe...then everyone could clearly tell what tune to go with. Not sure why you guys are getting butthurt about it.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #32
MissionPerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post

I'm not the one that's confused. I'm stating the obvious, which is backed by alex's response that they are constantly getting questions about the tunes. If they streamlined their offerings like every other tuner, most of the questions would go away. One tune is for 91, one tune is for 93, one tune is for a downpipe...then everyone could clearly tell what tune to go with. Not sure why you guys are getting butthurt about it.
Actually that is not correct. What I have said is that we constantly getting bombarded with calls and emails with the most basic questions such as "how much boost", "can I get my car to throw flames", "what is burble" and so on.

The reason we offer tunes capable of providing stage 2+ power on fully stock platform is because unspeakable amount of reverse engineering and RND went into our product, and unlike product offered in the past by completion, everything we offer is adaptive and "smart". Software we developed can adjust to specific conditions and that is part of the reason we have so many options.

It seems that there is actually only one person who just doesn't understand it in general, so here is a breakdown:
-Want good power gains with stock hardware but don't want to stress the motor? Go with stage 1.
-Want even more power with your stock hardware and don't mind stressing your motor a bit, then go with stage 2.
-like stage 2 power and want to take away some of the stress on the motor, then add supporting hardware mods.
- want to have the power that pushes limits of the stock hardware, then take stage 2+

It's really simple.
Appreciate 1
David0ff1059.00
      01-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #33
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy_91 View Post

Thanks for the ride-along your car with the CDP & Dinan Midpipe - sounds amazing and now it pulls like a freight train buttery smooth. Let's get some video's posted soon.

And thanks again to Alex for stopping everything he was doing to spend 2+ hours with us (tunes take mins) talking cars and generally just hanging out at his new shop.

All around a great experience for me
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #34
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionPerformance View Post
Actually that is not correct. What I have said is that we constantly getting bombarded with calls and emails with the most basic questions such as "how much boost", "can I get my car to throw flames", "what is burble" and so on.

The reason we offer tunes capable of providing stage 2+ power on fully stock platform is because unspeakable amount of reverse engineering and RND went into our product, and unlike product offered in the past by completion, everything we offer is adaptive and "smart". Software we developed can adjust to specific conditions and that is part of the reason we have so many options.

It seems that there is actually only one person who just doesn't understand it in general, so here is a breakdown:
-Want good power gains with stock hardware but don't want to stress the motor? Go with stage 1.
-Want even more power with your stock hardware and don't mind stressing your motor a bit, then go with stage 2.
-like stage 2 power and want to take away some of the stress on the motor, then add supporting hardware mods.
- want to have the power that pushes limits of the stock hardware, then take stage 2+

It's really simple.
You got it man. I see the tunes and understand they make great power for what they are, but you're confusing a lot of people by saying what's recommended and then publishing figures doing what's not recommended. Especially uncorrected plots. That's why folks are posting questions about it (like the 3 posts in a row before mine, i.e. what i was originally responding too). I mean even the fact that stage 2+ and stage 3 are apparently interchangeable (?) adds more to the mix. I'm just commenting an observation, but it's your party.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #35
Brett530
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F30 340i

Kern,
I think you/we just need to be patient. There are so many variables that all the questions can't be answered definitively. Some customers are bleeding edge and just do it. Most of us want to see more comprehensive data and specs to make sure we are making the right tune choice. MP has the expertise in developing tunes and probably has limited time and resources to test and communicate everything to all their customers in clear statements.

I also noticed the seeming contradiction in needing bolt on mods, but the tests being done on stock setups. It just means the limiting factors on performance and long term reliability are not fully understood yet. I appreaciate that approach, since it starts at one end of the mod spectrum (the end I happen to be on). If they came out and said their stage 2 did 4xx HP with full bolt on, those who didn't have all the mods would have no idea if the tune would work for them. MP is just saying if you want to be safe, here are the guidelines. As more people do the flashes we will start to see a more complete picture. Jump in and take some possible risk, or wait until more users have provided feedback.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:39 PM   #36
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
You got it man. I see the tunes and understand they make great power for what they are, but you're confusing a lot of people by saying what's recommended and then publishing figures doing what's not recommended. Especially uncorrected plots. That's why folks are posting questions about it (like the 3 posts in a row before mine, i.e. what i was originally responding too). I mean even the fact that stage 2+ and stage 3 are apparently interchangeable (?) adds more to the mix. I'm just commenting an observation, but it's your party.
Don't see too many people being confused besides you and Alex has responded twice to you as have others...clearly you either just like to argue or don't understand simple logic. There is nothing that says "this is how you stage tunes". MP has chosen to do it the way they see fit and it's pretty clearly explained. Your just detailing a thread where you aren't adding anything positive to it...if you were interested or actually had questions PM Alex or call them instead of wasting your time arguing your point which is clearly exhausted and been answered numerous times over
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:20 PM   #37
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

I'm with the crowd. MP is providing a great product and but some don't get it but I dont see why. Two options really for stage 2 and beyond...either you run the tunes on a stock motor and risk the extra wear and tear or you get the necessary bolt-ons. I dont see what's so hard to understand.
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #38
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

I’ll just leave this here.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1#post24275811
      01-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #39
grassy_91
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Thanks for the ride-along your car with the CDP & Dinan Midpipe - sounds amazing and now it pulls like a freight train buttery smooth. Let's get some video's posted soon.

And thanks again to Alex for stopping everything he was doing to spend 2+ hours with us (tunes take mins) talking cars and generally just hanging out at his new shop.

All around a great experience for me
No problem! It wouldn’t sound good without that midpipe you sold me. Take it for a drive tmw when I’m in the are!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #40
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I am a bit confused, I initially had the Stage 2 and I think I have 2+ now.
Has anyone else with a tune done any logging?
Curious to compare boost, timing and AFR values.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #41
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett530 View Post
Kern,
I think you/we just need to be patient. There are so many variables that all the questions can't be answered definitively. Some customers are bleeding edge and just do it. Most of us want to see more comprehensive data and specs to make sure we are making the right tune choice. MP has the expertise in developing tunes and probably has limited time and resources to test and communicate everything to all their customers in clear statements.

I also noticed the seeming contradiction in needing bolt on mods, but the tests being done on stock setups. It just means the limiting factors on performance and long term reliability are not fully understood yet. I appreaciate that approach, since it starts at one end of the mod spectrum (the end I happen to be on). If they came out and said their stage 2 did 4xx HP with full bolt on, those who didn't have all the mods would have no idea if the tune would work for them. MP is just saying if you want to be safe, here are the guidelines. As more people do the flashes we will start to see a more complete picture. Jump in and take some possible risk, or wait until more users have provided feedback.
No doubt. That's why I'm waiting before I choose an option. It's just strange when the general public just wants an optimized tune for their setup, or wants to know what to install to get claimed power figures reliably. This is the first time I've actually seen them state that their tune could create scenarios where you need to back off. That's a reason I didn't go with JB4. I've had my fun in the past testing different tunes with finicky response. Power figures are nice but not for the sake of reliability.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #42
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

What flash tool are you guys using to flash from home using the app?
      01-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #43
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
What flash tool are you guys using to flash from home using the app?
mFlasher on windows
      01-23-2019, 07:57 PM   #44
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman011 View Post
mFlasher on windows
Sorry meant to say what cable do you guys purchase to connect to the mFlasher