F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > b48/ b58 emerging issues
ARMA SPEED

05-01-2020, 03:03 AM   #23
Derek Mc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
I'll clarify mine. I only have 6200 miles with BM3 stage 1 so far. Before that was 8500 miles on JB+ set at max.

No issues.
Outstanding. Many thanks
      05-01-2020, 03:05 AM   #24
Derek Mc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
2018 here. 61k miles now. No issues. Probably time for front brakes. I will measure the pads when it warms up. Sensor has not tripped yet.
61K on an 18 well if anyone would see issues, sir, I think you are well placed. Thats very good to know.

Oh and first thing I plan to do on taking ownership is dump the Brembo pads and get Hawk 5.0 all round, with drilled rotors up front
      05-01-2020, 05:03 PM   #25
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

OMG.. the insanity! So you plan on getting these couple people and creating a "comfort assessment" with an obviously biases sample set if you should keep the car after lease?

Good luck dude... good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 02:49 AM   #26
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

It will last forever with proper social distancing, keeping 6000 rpm from redline at all times.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 10:44 AM   #27
Derek Mc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
OMG.. the insanity! So you plan on getting these couple people and creating a "comfort assessment" with an obviously biases sample set if you should keep the car after lease?

Good luck dude... good luck.
Well it worked with Nikasil, back in the 90's and has continued to work by foretelling of issues, as they emerge, it works right now on N20 so WHY!!!! do you find it such a pleasure to jump on me and my asking a very civil question.

People like you, make this place one of the least hospitable forums on the net, no wonder there is no decent questions asked everyone is scared to be bitched at!
      05-02-2020, 06:29 PM   #28
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Not being hospitable, you are just asking for jaded opinions to give you conformation bias. All you are are going to learn is "yup. ditch my POS BMW. 5 people have reported catastrophic problems"

For the record, I don't remember many web forums "in the '90s". Was there ANY? I don't think so.

If you want some REAL answers, buy a Consumers Report and see what they are rating, or an Angus Reed poll. What you are asking for is STILL insanity.

Again, engine has been out for over 4 years, what "emerging issues" are you looking for?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 05:25 AM   #29
Derek Mc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Not being hospitable, you are just asking for jaded opinions to give you conformation bias. All you are are going to learn is "yup. ditch my POS BMW. 5 people have reported catastrophic problems"

For the record, I don't remember many web forums "in the '90s". Was there ANY? I don't think so.

If you want some REAL answers, buy a Consumers Report and see what they are rating, or an Angus Reed poll. What you are asking for is STILL insanity.

Again, engine has been out for over 4 years, what "emerging issues" are you looking for?
Try researching the long dead e32register.co.uk I was an Admin (from 2000 when they integrated the e38 models) at the end up, it still goes on today in a different format
Try researching BMWland.co.uk then come back to me pal

What I am looking for are the owners here. they give me their views that is the start, I then use something you might never have thought of called BMW. I speak to them via service Managers and tech's, and sound out various issues, such as the rear light harness issue on the e60, the timing chain issue on the N47 diesel, that came out most on forums long long before it was widely noted in the press, but you keep going, you clearly have no clue as to how this all works for me, so here again is what I am doing.

Ask opinions from enthusiasts
Research the outcome and components across all world markets as there is significant differences in the way the US drive and the UK (UK covers far lower distances overall, but has similar engine run times due to congestion and as such the heat in the engine bay is disproportionate) UK high mileage is thought of as 100K watching many US channels I see 250K as a decent s/h car! That has a massive bearing on wear and the UK seems to suffer failures more!

This is the kind of thing I am trying to get people to tell me:-

I am keen to learn if there is any hint of another N20 timing chain coming through such as any weak link, turbo's, EGR, GPF, (as we have the GPF fitted in Europe only since the beginning of 2019, and on diesel cars the DPF is the single biggest cause of breakdown ever seen across all makes all diesels that are not driven in a prescribed manner suffer catastrophic breakdown.

You seem intent on closing me down for some reason, I just can't figure why?

So, why not let me see you shut the people up when they report timing chain failures on N20's what do you have against the B48? or me? we don't even know each other
      05-03-2020, 06:26 AM   #30
HarryTee
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4CP & 2017 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Mc View Post
Try researching the long dead e32register.co.uk I was an Admin (from 2000 when they integrated the e38 models) at the end up, it still goes on today in a different format
I'm surprised to see your "credentials"!
But looking at it from the current thread, you seem to have problems even with asking a simple question; and you then blame everyone, including the forums, for your failing to obtain the information you require
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 06:52 AM   #31
Derek Mc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryTee View Post
I'm surprised to see your "credentials"!
But looking at it from the current thread, you seem to have problems even with asking a simple question; and you then blame everyone, including the forums, for your failing to obtain the information you require
I don't quite understand why asking what owners experience of the B48 and any problems is causing so many issues?
If you look at the very first post I put up it was civil friendly and seeking participation.

If however you would like to actually assist me, by pointing out where I went wrong in my prose, my attitude, wording or method I would be sincerely grateful.

Here is a reminder of what I asked:-

Knowing the nightmare that emerges with the N20, what is the thinking and what are the possible issues seen on the B48 that people have found.

I am only 9K miles and one year, into ownership of a four year lease car that I really plan to buy out but only if it is a better bet than the ill-fated N20 cars.

So tell me the worst
      05-03-2020, 07:57 AM   #32
HarryTee
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So, as I understand it, you're thinking of buying a car with the B48 and you want to find out if there have been any serious issues with the new engine. Is this right? Then, I'd put it something simple like that and there would be no dramas.

I don't think people are averse to knowing about problems with their cars
but your heading "b48/ b58 emerging issues" is more like an announcement than a question, and is a bit too sensational to some, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 08:15 AM   #33
Derek Mc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So, as I understand it, you're thinking of buying a car with the B48 and you want to find out if there have been any serious issues with the new engine. Is this right? Then, I'd put it something simple like that and there would be no dramas.

I don't think people are averse to knowing about problems with their cars
but your heading "b48/ b58 emerging issues" is more like an announcement than a question, and is a bit too sensational to some, I guess.
Thanks Harry, in reality, no, I already am a year into ownership of an f36, I planned to be buying it out the lease and keep it, or I let it go lease one more brand new ICE car before going electric and then buy that car out as my future hobby car.

I didn't see the topic banner as too sensational it just did a Ronseal, straight to the point,,,
I assumed that as the N20 gets so much bad press, everyone here would have the community of spirit to share how the new engine is getting on. Sadly my error. I am very grateful to the few who have responded so far, it's good to know it seems a reasonable little lump.

Oh and my "credentials" were in no way my aim, and not why I mentioned those forums, it was Wires denial that forums existed in the late 90's that caused me to name two that were very much about (there were a few more you might remember them too?) all in a very crude 56k dial up way,,,
      05-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #34
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
T
Did it.... not sure what I'm looking for. It's a site with 1368 members, and 48k posts. The forum where this thread sits has 400k post, with others on F30 have millions. Numbers = data, but thanks for "schooling me" though
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 02:53 AM   #35
Derek Mc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Did it.... not sure what I'm looking for. It's a site with 1368 members, and 48k posts. The forum where this thread sits has 400k post, with others on F30 have millions. Numbers = data, but thanks for "schooling me" though
Well done!

The reason to mention it was your denial that forums existed in the late 90's not now,,,, or did you forget that?
      05-05-2020, 08:08 AM   #36
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well done!

The reason to mention it was your denial that forums existed in the late 90's not now,,,, or did you forget that?
Do you mean BBS's? Pretty sure it was a Bulletin Board Service back then, and if the forum you pointed me to was around 25 years ago, it sure is pretty stagnant.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 08:50 AM   #37
Derek Mc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Do you mean BBS's? Pretty sure it was a Bulletin Board Service back then, and if the forum you pointed me to was around 25 years ago, it sure is pretty stagnant.
You denied forums existed,,,,,,

These might be quiet now, but back in the day it was very very busy. Quite how being stagnant now some 22 years later relates to anything I don't quite get, but back them the old forums and indeed some were still crudely Bulletin Board based were brand new and hugely popular as it gave a place to share experiences and potential problems, solutions and ideas for tuning,,,,,,,,,, all went great until suddenly some people, for quite unfathomable reasons, started to jump all over members for doing that in 2020

Progress I suppose might not always be a good thing, I wish we had community spirit and a willingness to help one another once again!
      05-05-2020, 09:12 AM   #38
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Ah...brings me back to 1986. Free-Net. Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 06:05 AM   #39
Derek Mc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ah...brings me back to 1986. Free-Net. Lol
LOL I'm that old I had a compuserve email to begin with
      01-21-2021, 12:52 AM   #40
mike440i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

36k on a 2017 440i. No issues yet and I don’t drive slow. Bm3 and downpipe. I do maintenance heavy.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 05:12 AM   #41
HarryTee
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I've got 2 x 440i (with B58) for 2 years now and they're getting boring () because they don't have problems to report or worry about.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 08:39 AM   #42
Derek Mc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I've got 2 x 440i (with B58) for 2 years now and they're getting boring () because they don't have problems to report or worry about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike440i View Post
36k on a 2017 440i. No issues yet and I don’t drive slow. Bm3 and downpipe. I do maintenance heavy.
Very good to know thanks guys.
      01-24-2021, 07:51 PM   #43
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
ok since May these have been done:

still running BM3 stage 1 - 93 with the 2.0 update for the B48-F-L (flashed at 69k in November, also turned off xDelete)

oil change, spark plugs, brake fluid and front brakes at 65k. it took my longer to flush the brake fluid than it was to change the plugs. lol

coolant hose blew at 66k, so that was changed and coolant flushed
currently at 72k now, about time for an oil change.

debating trading it in for an suv.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #44
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: f32 n55

Quote:
ok since May these have been done:

still running BM3 stage 1 - 93 with the 2.0 update for the B48-F-L (flashed at 69k in November, also turned off xDelete)

oil change, spark plugs, brake fluid and front brakes at 65k. it took my longer to flush the brake fluid than it was to change the plugs. lol

coolant hose blew at 66k, so that was changed and coolant flushed
currently at 72k now, about time for an oil change.

debating trading it in for an suv.
really!? the coolant hose? I hope that yours was a fluke and not a common issue across the b series generation, I just replaced mine on my n55 but I suppose if I have to on my b46 also at least it's an easy and cheap fix.