F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Mild Popping 340i
ARMA SPEED

01-18-2021, 04:24 PM   #1
Red_Rover
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Mild Popping 340i

340i - Anybody experience a mild popping sound that can be heard more than it can be felt when initially depressing the brake? This typically happens after the car has been in garage or sat in parking lot for a while.

Usual Scenario: I'll put the car in reverse while backing down the flat drive and as I touch the brake it occurs. It will sometimes happen again as I place the car in drive and pull away. The wheel is typically straight when it happens and the car is moving at a slow speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 06:23 PM   #2
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

As in exhaust sound popping when you let off the throttle?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 06:34 PM   #3
Red_Rover
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
As in exhaust sound popping when you let off the throttle?
No.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 06:46 PM   #4
aardate
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4MC

I get the exact same popping noise, Im going to bring it up to the dealer on my next visit. I have a 2018 340i without the m performance brakes. I’ve only had the car for 6 months now but I’ve been having this popping noise from the get go. I feel it’s coming from the brakes but it doesn’t sound too serious and hasn’t gotten any worse.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 07:17 PM   #5
clemsonf31
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i wagon

Popping is a subjective and broad term. Could be ball joints, cv joints, brakes, bushings, etc
Can you be more specific?

Max
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 07:53 PM   #6
Red_Rover
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonf31 View Post
Popping is a subjective and broad term. Could be ball joints, cv joints, brakes, bushings, etc
Can you be more specific?

Max
I guess it could be described as a minor "clank" as well. The car is also a 2018 without the M brakes.

aardate, are you seeing a pattern as to when it occurs?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 08:36 PM   #7
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
I had a similar issue on my 435i. I'd put it in reverse and as soon as I let off the brake I'd hear a pop. It turned out to be a rotor that had a lip on it that caused it. Front brakes were replaced under warranty. This was with the grey front Brembos. I now have the M Performance brakes.
      01-18-2021, 09:11 PM   #8
aardate
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Rover View Post
I guess it could be described as a minor "clank" as well. The car is also a 2018 without the M brakes.

aardate, are you seeing a pattern as to when it occurs?
It normally happens during low speeds when I first hit the brakes and the car has been sitting overnight . I didn’t investigate it too much as I don’t think it’s a serious issue, my guess is that the brake pads aren’t sitting right or there is wiggle room in them for some reason! I’m just guessing here
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 10:06 PM   #9
Red_Rover
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435i_Phil View Post
I had a similar issue on my 435i. I'd put it in reverse and as soon as I let off the brake I'd hear a pop. It turned out to be a rotor that had a lip on it that caused it. Front brakes were replaced under warranty. This was with the grey front Brembos. I now have the M Performance brakes.
I'm going to pay extra attention in the AM and be pretty embarrassed if I titled this thread incorrectly and the pop only happens after the brake release.

Last edited by Red_Rover; 01-18-2021 at 10:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 05:22 AM   #10
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 435i_Phil View Post
I'm going to pay extra attention in the AM and be pretty embarrassed if I titled this thread incorrectly and the pop only happens after the brake release.
Let us know haha!
      01-19-2021, 02:19 PM   #11
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Quote:
340i - Anybody experience a mild popping sound that can be heard more than it can be felt when initially depressing the brake? This typically happens after the car has been in garage or sat in parking lot for a while.

Usual Scenario: I'll put the car in reverse while backing down the flat drive and as I touch the brake it occurs. It will sometimes happen again as I place the car in drive and pull away. The wheel is typically straight when it happens and the car is moving at a slow speed.
Have a look if it happens when you do a change of driving direction. Forwards/reverse.

I assume you went forwards into the garage and now you reverse out?
      01-19-2021, 05:33 PM   #12
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

If I drive mine and its wet outside and then leave it overnight, I have had the pads "rust" to the rotors slightly. When I first go to back out of the garage, it does a "pop" as they let go.

After a little light braking, the rotors clean and it's fine again.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2021, 11:02 PM   #13
Red_Rover
Private
Rep

**Update**

Today's report:

early AM) backed out of drive and onto street, placed car into drive, gently accelerated and approached stop sign at intersection, began to brake....pop.

Midday) backed out of parking spot at store, placed car into drive, went about 100 yards, slowly approached stop sign at exit of shopping center, began to brake....pop.

Pattern:

1 - car has been sitting with engine off (either for a short time or overnight)
2 - car goes in reverse
3 - car placed into drive
4 - 1st braking after placing car into drive and pop noise appears
5 - other braking after that initial time does not produce the sound
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 03:18 AM   #14
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
**Update**

Today's report:

early AM) backed out of drive and onto street, placed car into drive, gently accelerated and approached stop sign at intersection, began to brake....pop.

Midday) backed out of parking spot at store, placed car into drive, went about 100 yards, slowly approached stop sign at exit of shopping center, began to brake....pop.

Pattern:

1 - car has been sitting with engine off (either for a short time or overnight)
2 - car goes in reverse
3 - car placed into drive
4 - 1st braking after placing car into drive and pop noise appears
5 - other braking after that initial time does not produce the sound
After the initial time, can you try again to reverse and brake then go forwards and break again.

I'm pretty sure it's the brake pads sliding in the calipers up and down. No harm but annoying
      01-20-2021, 05:30 AM   #15
bellguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 440I M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWbimmer View Post
After the initial time, can you try again to reverse and brake then go forwards and break again.

I'm pretty sure it's the brake pads sliding in the calipers up and down. No harm but annoying
This, very common and nothing whatsoever to Worry about, remove pads clean and lube them with copper grease and refit, clean and grease the pad locating areas too, end of issue, doing this most every other week to folks rear brakes in my shop, if in for a service we do this on front and rears FOC as it’s such a common annoying issue.
My 340i was terrible at this problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 07:21 AM   #16
btmaster39
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 340xi

I have the same problem, I've brought it into the dealership a few times for it and. The 1st time they said they replaced the bolts for the steering rack, the 2nd time I don't think they did anything.

I bought my 340 with 10k miles on it, it started only doing it during parking lot maneuvers. Now @ 20k miles it does it while driving as well.

Has anyone else actually felt this in their steering wheel or just heard a noise? It started only as a noise, but now I feel it sometimes while turning at slow speeds. My conclusion was that it was the steering rack thrust piece, which I am pushing my dealer to install the repair kit for, but I am getting pushback. There's a slight knock when the engine is off and I turn the wheel, and the sound is identical to the popping I hear
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2021, 07:38 AM   #17
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Yes there a 2 different things, but sounding similar.

The breaks pads you can hear as well on the outside, the rack thust piece is more noticable on the inside.

The brake pads create the noise whilst braking, the steering is more audible when the car is standing.
      01-20-2021, 09:16 AM   #18
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

So crazy to see this topic today. I've been searching for this in the archives here.
I have a 2019 440i xdrive with M-Sport & adaptive suspension. I notice that mostly with a cold star situation when I put the car in reverse and back out of my driveway I as well get this clunking noise. Sometimes I get a dragging/grinding noise. It's seems to have gotten worse (or maybe it's just me paying more attention to it)

Further, sometimes now my brake light comes on in the dash when this is occuring. Maybe 1 out of 3 times. This doesn't seem to happen when the car is warmed up from driving, like if I go to the grocery store and back out of a parking spot.

Finally, I have been noticing a "shudder" when applying the brakes. I assume this is all related. Something must be out of whack... My service is due so I will be making an appointment for next week.

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 10:08 AM   #19
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_perspective View Post
So crazy to see this topic today. I've been searching for this in the archives here.
I have a 2019 440i xdrive with M-Sport & adaptive suspension. I notice that mostly with a cold star situation when I put the car in reverse and back out of my driveway I as well get this clunking noise. Sometimes I get a dragging/grinding noise. It's seems to have gotten worse (or maybe it's just me paying more attention to it)

Further, sometimes now my brake light comes on in the dash when this is occuring. Maybe 1 out of 3 times. This doesn't seem to happen when the car is warmed up from driving, like if I go to the grocery store and back out of a parking spot.

Finally, I have been noticing a "shudder" when applying the brakes. I assume this is all related. Something must be out of whack... My service is due so I will be making an appointment for next week.
Did you check your brake fluid level?
      01-20-2021, 03:51 PM   #20
Red_Rover
Private
Rep

Quote:
Tried this today. When I got to the stop sign I put the car in reverse. As I started to apply the brakes while in reverse there was a very slight sound. I put the car back in drive and as I again approached the stop sign, no noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 03:54 PM   #21
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I'd try to take it up to highway speed, and in a safe area, do an aggressive braking to almost stopping (10MPH), and then repeat.

Might be just the pads built up with brake dust. Pressure washing the calipers will wash that out as well.

Remove/clean/lube is the ultimate fix though, but the above should make it go away.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2021, 05:31 PM   #22
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:

+1 for pads moving. This was discussed in the TSB section in a couple different threads, although its been a while.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=437

When you get the "click" noise the first time applying the brakes after the car as been sitting for a while, its usually the pad moving. Some pads do it worse than others.

Last edited by thejeremyman9; 01-20-2021 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 1