F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Das speeden ticketen
Extreme Powerhouse

07-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #1
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Das speeden ticketen

Gents - do I need to pay Dutch speeding tickets?

If I don't, will I get finger-bummed next time I pass from Schipol?

300 euros that I'd rather spend on beer, but I visit Holland a fair bit on business so will cough up if need be.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bbo View Post

300 euros that I'd rather spend on beer, but I visit Holland a fair bit on business so will cough up if need be.
Of course you do. If for no other reason that it’s morally the right thing to do.
If the question was from a UK visitor regarding a UK ticket what would your answer be? “Come on over son. Tear up the roads, no problem, no tickets”
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #3
M2Andy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01

Colleague of mine got pulled from the passport queue at Schiphol around a year ago whilst attempting to transfer to another EU flight and was hauled off to the local station to settle an unpaid fine.
Wouldn’t have been so bad if she wasn’t travelling with the MD and sales director at the time and missed her connection
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #4
R0B
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
Quote:

Of course you do. If for no other reason that it’s morally the right thing to do.
If the question was from a UK visitor regarding a UK ticket what would your answer be? “Come on over son. Tear up the roads, no problem, no tickets”
Morally it doesn't cost 300 quid to send me a letter and so we take our breaks where we can.

And yes, if I knew that the U.K. lot didn't follow up fines and a foreign mate got caught doing 10mph over the limit on a busy motorway then I'd tell him to ignore it.

Thanks for your input though, well worth your effort
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Did it come via post?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
R0B
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Andy View Post
Colleague of mine got pulled from the passport queue at Schiphol around a year ago whilst attempting to transfer to another EU flight and was hauled off to the local station to settle an unpaid fine.
Wouldn’t have been so bad if she wasn’t travelling with the MD and sales director at the time and missed her connection
That's the answer then - cough up!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #7
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Quote:
Morally it doesn't cost 300 quid to send me a letter and so we take our breaks where we can.

And yes, if I knew that the U.K. lot didn't follow up fines and a foreign mate got caught doing 10mph over the limit on a busy motorway then I'd tell him to ignore it.

You visited their country, you broke their law, and you don't think you should pay the penalty where you've been caught?

Surely €300 is the penalty not an admin fee...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 09:49 AM   #8
R0B
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcC View Post
Quote:

You visited their country, you broke their law, and you don't think you should pay the penalty where you've been caught?

I think they should pay me to visit their country
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #9
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobB View Post
Thing is, when the law is patently an ass, no one takes any notice of it.

Anyone here stick to the 70mph motorway speed limit? No. It's just advisory.
Personally I see a big difference between choosing to disobey rules on my own country, and disobeying in others where I am a guest. But either way if you get caught you ought to cough up. You accepted the risk of punishment when you chose to break it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #10
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:

I paid a simar extortionate fine from Italy for supposedly running a red light somewhere.

Probably could have ignored it but it's one of those things you don't want catching up with you in 10 years out of the blue, when they pull their fingers out and get round to follow up in paid fines.

Take it on the chin now as you may not be able to if and when it surfaces again.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #11
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Quote:
it’s morally the right thing to do.
What is this witchcraft?
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2018, 12:54 PM   #12
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:

If you don't want an answer, then don't post.

Would your same lack of morals tell you not to leave a note on a car if you damaged it because it would cost over £300. Top of the class for your well reasoned logic

Pretty much everyone here is telling you to cough up.
If you can't pay the fine, then don't do the crime...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 12:58 PM   #13
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcC View Post

I'd love to see the face of the magistrate when you tell them speed limits are only advisory!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #14
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

"I broke the law in another country and they caught me, do I need to pay the fine or can I just get away with it as I don't live there?"
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #15
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:

This is "The" issue Nick, the current speed limits in this country are a joke, even the police think they are I was caught doing an indicated 90mph on the A1 and got sent on a SAC so that tells you what they think.

I have been "caught" doing 100mph on the A1 and all the unmarked car did was pull in front of me flash his blues and wag his finger.

We need a sensible debate on this stuff but when you get the sort of pious responses on a thread like this from people that have probably all broken the speed limit today you do wonder about your fellow men....

OP you'll have to pay the fine but 300 euros is a piss take.
R0B1535.00
1 AKY459.00
      07-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #16
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:

This is "The" issue Nick, the current speed limits in this country are a joke, even the police think they are I was caught doing an indicated 90mph on the A1 and got sent on a SAC so that tells you what they think.

I have been "caught" doing 100mph on the A1 and all the unmarked car did was pull in front of me flash his blues and wag his finger.

We need a sensible debate on this stuff but when you get the sort of pious responses on a thread like this from people that have probably all broken the speed limit today you do wonder about your fellow men....

OP you'll have to pay the fine but 300 euros is a piss take.
I'd rather pay €300 with no points than £100 and 3 points!

Isn't there an EU wide speeding points system coming in soon?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #17
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I'd rather pay €300 with no points than £100 and 3 points!

Isn't there an EU wide speeding points system coming in soon?
I'd rather see an EU-wide fines system being implemented, along the lines of the Dutch system. The fast you are going when you get caught, the proportionately higher the fine. If you can't pay the fine I guess you get another punishment including jail time.

Points accumulation, leading to a ban, for minor contraventions of speeds limits is ridiculous IMO. Bans should be used as a penalty for massive over-speeding, driving under the influence, death or grievous bodily harm caused by motor vehicle, etc, plus jail terms as appropriate.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 02:19 PM   #18
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
I'd rather see an EU-wide fines system being implemented, along the lines of the Dutch system. The fast you are going when you get caught, the proportionately higher the fine. If you can't pay the fine I guess you get another punishment including jail time.

Points accumulation, leading to a ban, for minor contraventions of speeds limits is ridiculous IMO. Bans should be used as a penalty for massive over-speeding, driving under the influence, death or grievous bodily harm caused by motor vehicle, etc, plus jail terms as appropriate.
They just need to raise the speed limits on NSL roads it's crazy that a made up number 50 years ago is still inforce against a modern car.
      07-07-2018, 02:25 PM   #19
R0B
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
"I broke the law in another country and they caught me, do I need to pay the fine or can I just get away with it as I don't live there?"
That's exactly what I was saying, yep!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #20
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I'd accept it and settle the fine.

I got caught speeding in Oz several years ago and the police officer actually suggested that I not pay the fine. When I asked why he told me that then immigration could deny me entrance to the country in the future. Cheeky fucker. I settled it.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 02:31 PM   #21
R0B
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

If you don't want an answer, then don't post.

Would your same lack of morals tell you not to leave a note on a car if you damaged it because it would cost over £300. Top of the class for your well reasoned logic

Pretty much everyone here is telling you to cough up.
If you can't pay the fine, then don't do the crime...
If I had this conversation down the pub, with my mates, it'd go: "Gents, what do you reckon?" and they'd either say "it's annoying but cough up," or "I know a number of people who didn't pay as they thought it was too much dosh and nothing came of it."

Problem with this forum sometimes is people like to get all pissy and moral high-ground - let's call it 'being an Alex'. (Or 'being a fanny').

I'm not saying I didn't do it. I'm not saying that really yes, it'll probably have to get paid. I just forgot that this isn't an overly masculine forum and people like to get a bit antsy.

I think Wills2 is the only one who has got it right: "OP you'll have to pay the fine but 300 euros is a piss take."
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #22
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
If I had this conversation down the pub, with my mates, it'd go: "Gents, what do you reckon?" and they'd either say "it's annoying but cough up," or "I know a number of people who didn't pay as they thought it was too much dosh and nothing came of it."

Problem with this forum sometimes is people like to get all pissy and moral high-ground - let's call it 'being an Alex'. (Or 'being a fanny').

I'm not saying I didn't do it. I'm not saying that really yes, it'll probably have to get paid. I just forgot that this isn't an overly masculine forum and people like to get a bit antsy.

I think Wills2 is the only one who has got it right: "OP you'll have to pay the fine but 300 euros is a piss take."
Indeed mate, too many people ready to jump on people on the internet, poor form, especially as they are habitual speeders themselves! Oh the irony.

Although there are many decent posters on here there are a few Alex types in training, God he was cock.