F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Notes on a subwoofer install on an F32 with Harman Kardon
Extreme Powerhouse

07-31-2017, 01:41 AM   #1
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Cool

Goal: To add more bass to the Harman Kardon on an F32. We have the HK on the F30 as well but it seemed to sound better on the F30 than the F32. I don't know why. I really missed hearing those deep bass tones to reggae, dub (not that nonsense known as dub step) and even country music.

Test Songs:
Jah Come to I - Mungo's HIFI
Sure Be Cool if You Did - Blake Shelton
Love and Affection - Pressure

Let's get started...

Active LOC:

1. The LC2i Active LOC was used. With the 30v peaks the HK amp puts out a passive LOC would burn out. Therefore, a LOC capable of handling 40v peaks was selected.

A custom bracket was made to mount the LC2i out of the way. The gain was set to 9 o'clock. Upon reflection this could have been set slightly higher. Once mounted away it will not be touched.

The main output was used from the LC2i as accu bass is not required for the HK and does not work.

Audison connect RCA cable 2.5m in length was used.

In layman terms the outputs from the Harman Kardon cannot be plugged directly into an after market amp as there is too much power.

[IMG]https://preview.ibb.co/fPdNH5/IMG_1199.jpg[/IMG]

Plug and Play Harness:

2. The Technic PnP Harness was used to make the install 100 per cent reversible. It meant no splicing of wires so when the car is sold it can all be put back to factory.

The harness can be purchased from techincpnp.com

It is a fantastic product and Technic used to frequent these forums as an audio God! A special thanks to him for answering my questions. Customer support is unsurpassed.

The HK harness was quite stubborn to remove and came out easier with the HK amp removed.

Note: the set up will not work unless the HK amp is working. If the HK amp is faulty then it will not work. The Technic harness comes with the LC2i LOC and additional wiring is also provided if you want to power the underseat subwoofers as well as a sub or instead of a boot sub etc.

[IMG]https://preview.ibb.co/gcJpx5/IMG_1196.jpg[/IMG]

Remote Wire:

3. There is no remote wire in the boot. Contrary to what some have read the red and white wire in the boot drops to 0.2v. None of the fuse wires in the boot dropped to 0v upon testing. Not wanting to access the official remote wire on the back of the head unit (pin 13), I tapped into the ignition feed under the glove box. A remote wire was run to the LC2i which has a remote out that was sent to the JL XD 600/1 v2. I found this easier to do as the wire could be tucked in neatly under the passenger side trim. I love this because the amp turns off straight away with ignition off and there are no pops or bangs.

Note the car will take about 15 minutes to switch off properly so leave your passenger door open and ignition off.

[IMG]https://preview.ibb.co/me4JqQ/IMG_1193.jpg[/IMG]

Subwoofer Enclosure

4. Box by Visual Ice. Murray from Visual Ice is a star. He'll make the box to exacting specifications of your subwoofer. I sent him the parameters for the JL 12w3v3 4 ohm and he set about to work. There was a week wait as he was busy and a three day turn around.

Regrettably I forgot to tell him that I wanted black fabric but I have some black fabric spray at home and can take that on another time.

The box cost 100 which includes delivery. It comes with mounting instructions, a mounting bolt, industrial strength velcro and, wadding.

I mounted it in the side above the HK amp using velcro which is sufficient. It even holds on fast corners and fits as snug as a bug in a rug.

I learned my lesson as on the E92, I mounted above the battery and the fuel flap was forever rattling.

[IMG]https://preview.ibb.co/nzTNH5/IMG_1211.jpg[/IMG]

Amplifier and Settings

5. My amp of choice was the JL XD 600/1 v2. This runs cool in temperature and is ideal to mount in the under tray.

Gain was set to to 8 o'clock, cross over to 90Hz, slope to 24dB and, polarity reversed. These settings blend in nicely leaving the underseat woofers to get on with their job and the sub to take care of low bass. Gain hardly needs touching and it is recommended you use one or the other i.e. Low on LC2i and higher on JL or vice versa.

Bass and treble are flat on the head unit. The 100Hz setting on the EQ was used to adjust bass and set to 4 clicks up. More than enough.

The amp was purchased directly from JL in their summer sizzler sale when there was 20 per cent off everything.

Note. Rockford Fosgate 4 awg wire was used for the ground. I didn't have any ground wire laying around so purchased some. However, I did have some 4 awg power wire by Vibe and I must say we are taken for a joke in the UK. Comparing the two wire diameters the Vibe is not a true 4 awg. So that is misrepresentation of goods. It does the job though and in all honesty you could probably get away with 8 awg which is what it looks like.

Active sound was coded out using Carly. This stops the subwoofer playing annoying artificial bass notes. You can purchase a by-pass harness for this from Technic if you want but to keep costs down if you have access to the necessary coding software there is no point.

[IMG]https://preview.ibb.co/ea0rAQ/IMG_1212.jpg[/IMG]

End result. Mid bass and sub bass everywhere!

The system was seriously lacking some thump. I was not looking to rattle the windows or the car next to me in traffic. I was disappointed with the performance of the underseats on the F32. However, Technic did say that the underseat woofers come to life on an amp such as the JL 600/6. The thought crossed my mind but I wanted more!

A special thanks to glennQNYC once more for the amazing settings suggested for the HK. Thanks to Technic as well.

Last edited by Soul_Glo; 07-31-2017 at 05:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 02:39 AM   #2
Edinburra
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A5

Come again, but this time say it slowly.
Appreciate 3
Soul_Glo13305.00
teaston10991.50
      07-31-2017, 02:58 AM   #3
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edinburra View Post
Come again, but this time say it slowly.
:
Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50
      07-31-2017, 04:23 AM   #4
B58_Touring
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Garage List
Errrm...

....Pictures?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 04:29 AM   #5
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBk View Post
Errrm...

....Pictures?
They seem to load if you wait on the page. Come up all in one go at the bottom but will try to add them again.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 04:44 AM   #6
B58_Touring
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post
They seem to load if you wait on the page. Come up all in one go at the bottom but will try to add them again.
It was more the fact that i understood none of the words, as a simpleton in this area I thought pictures maybe my only chance to make sense of it all haha

I see them now, looks a tidy job!
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13305.00
      07-31-2017, 09:46 AM   #7
MrChumley
Major
Rep
Drives: F33 440i convertible

Surprised you need one with HK - must be that big cavern behind the rear seats messing things up :
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13305.00
      07-31-2017, 09:57 AM   #8
BMWChap
Major
Rep
Drives: F32

Huh??, I have a sub+ amp in my boot (F32), took the installer about 30 mins, and he did find a remote in the boot..., no fancy gizmos needed whatsover..

Had it for a year, no issues, sounds bloody good
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 10:43 AM   #9
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWChap View Post
Huh??, I have a sub+ amp in my boot (F32), took the installer about 30 mins, and he did find a remote in the boot..., no fancy gizmos needed whatsover..

Had it for a year, no issues, sounds bloody good
I would be interested to know which wire was used. Mine is a 435d x drive but that shouldn't make too much a difference if we're both using HK.

Out of interest what led you to decision on a sub?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 11:45 AM   #10
BMWChap
Major
Rep

Quote:
I would be interested to know which wire was used. Mine is a 435d x drive but that shouldn't make too much a difference if we're both using HK.

I'm using an old 12inch Power Akoustik Sub in a sealed box and an old amp that fits into the cubby hole under the boot cover, not very nice to look at to be honest regarding the remote, I have no idea as I just left him to it but I can confirm the amp is only on when the ignition is ON.

I dont have HK as I didnt want it, sounds terrible in the F32 but really good in the E92, I doubt not having HK would not mean not having a switchable live ...or does it...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 01:23 PM   #11
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWChap View Post
Quote:

I'm using an old 12inch Power Akoustik Sub in a sealed box and an old amp that fits into the cubby hole under the boot cover, not very nice to look at to be honest regarding the remote, I have no idea as I just left him to it but I can confirm the amp is only on when the ignition is ON.

I dont have HK as I didnt want it, sounds terrible in the F32 but really good in the E92, I doubt not having HK would not mean not having a switchable live ...or does it...
Yes the HK is a different kettle of fish. There is no switched live in the boot. You can ask any audio shop and they won't find it in the boot.

Hey your system may be messy but it does the job right? Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 06:21 AM   #12
BMWChap
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes the HK is a different kettle of fish. There is no switched live in the boot. You can ask any audio shop and they won't find it in the boot.

Hey your system may be messy but it does the job right? Enjoy!
Ahh Ok, I'm really glad I didn't get HK then

Added some after market tweeters too but will probably go beast mode and upgrade the amp and sub to a 15inch
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13305.00
      01-24-2018, 06:27 AM   #13
nastynick83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xd M-sport

37psi - enjoyed reading your guide, and it has given me inspiration to do the same. Although in F30 not F32 as I'm after a bit more depth and punch.

I'm leaning towards 10" instead of 12" though for a tighter fit in the boot.

How are you finding it 6months later?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 06:44 AM   #14
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastynick83 View Post
37psi - enjoyed reading your guide, and it has given me inspiration to do the same. Although in F30 not F32 as I'm after a bit more depth and punch.

I'm leaning towards 10" instead of 12" though for a tighter fit in the boot.

How are you finding it 6months later?
Still enjoying it. Love music so it was the best mod for me. Really brought the HK system to life and filled in the missing notes.

You won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #15
Icebone23
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Help with Install pls

I have the E92 with the Harmon Kardon system looking to do pretty much the same install but just a simple Jl w3 12inch in the custom box it comes in, would you be willing to do the install going to pay of course. I'm worried about taking it somewhere and they totally ignore the Harmon Kardon system and blow it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 11:57 AM   #16
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Bloomin eck do you really need any more bass than HK already provides!?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 09:27 AM   #17
Icebone23
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Yes Dave I'm a Bass Junky lol, like to feel my soul Rattle
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 12:17 PM   #18
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebone23 View Post
I have the E92 with the Harmon Kardon system looking to do pretty much the same install but just a simple Jl w3 12inch in the custom box it comes in, would you be willing to do the install going to pay of course. I'm worried about taking it somewhere and they totally ignore the Harmon Kardon system and blow it.
I did this on my E92 as well. It was a pig of a job removing the amp harness as you need nimble fingers but it is dead easy to do after that. What are you not sure about? Have one hundred per cent confidence in your ability to DIY the install. If you get stuck ask on here or put photos up. The Technics harness will be half the job done. There will even be a remote wire on the harness. Audio signals to a suitable amp. Audio LC2i or similar. Positive and negative to amp. Job done. Save your money you cannot mess it up it is so simple.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #19
jbb2388
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340iX

Chelsea, Was wondering if you knew if Visual Ice is still fabbing sub enclosures or if he is still active here? Thanks. Sorry for bumping an old thread. Info you posted was very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:36 AM   #20
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb2388 View Post
Chelsea, Was wondering if you knew if Visual Ice is still fabbing sub enclosures or if he is still active here? Thanks. Sorry for bumping an old thread. Info you posted was very helpful.
He does but he is not on here. He has an e-bay shop.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/visual-ice-car-audio

I had to have mine shipped.

If you're CT your best bet is something like this:

https://musicarnw.com/bmw-subwoofers/

Or

https://www.bavsound.com/BMW-Underse...oofer-Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #21
jbb2388
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340iX

Chelsea, Thank you very much for the reply and the link to his Ebay store. I have already sent him an email. I have looked at the other options before and I prefer the left side enclosure and a sub of my choice. I am also ordering Technic's harness and LOC. Looking forward to getting this done.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13305.00