F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Downpipe Sound on my 335GT, WOW
ARMA SPEED

10-26-2016, 01:16 PM   #1
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Downpipe Sound on my 335GT, WOW

Please enjoy this wonderful video I put together.

You will find 3 segments to the video.

1) Inside the cabin full throttle
2) Reving in the different modes, Comfort and Sport+
3) A Gopro shot from the bumper with full throttle

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
Saturns
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42,570GT,Lp5704STS,F36,F34

Garage List
Sounds good.
Hard to tell how it was before the Shiftek downpipe. How much sound increase in cabin and outside cabin with the downpipe?
Why did you go the downpipe/catless route vs. changing muffler?
Where you going for more HP vs. sound?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 09:35 PM   #3
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturns View Post
Sounds good.
Hard to tell how it was before the Shiftek downpipe. How much sound increase in cabin and outside cabin with the downpipe?
Why did you go the downpipe/catless route vs. changing muffler?
Where you going for more HP vs. sound?
Sounds good? Lol. Plug in some bass worthy headphones and have another listen.

How much sound increase in cabin and outside cabin with the downpipe? Minimal increase in normal driving conditions. Much louder on full throttle.

Why did you go the downpipe/catless route vs. changing muffler? A downpipe is the most cost efficient mod you can do to any car. I bought it used for $200, installed for $100. $300 for 20hp and 20trq plus nice sound. It's a no brainer( mind you even spending $600 is okay) Catted dp is nice too but no comparison. Catless is the way to go. Beware you will smell gas from time to time. And ppl that stand outside your car may make a comment. I say fk them.

Where you going for more HP vs sound? I was going for more HP. Sound was just an extra bonus.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 09:49 PM   #4
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5 View Post

How much sound increase in cabin and outside cabin with the downpipe? Minimal increase in normal driving conditions. Much louder on full throttle.

Why did you go the downpipe/catless route vs. changing muffler? A downpipe is the most cost efficient mod you can do to any car. I bought it used for $200, installed for $100. $300 for 20hp and 20trq plus nice sound. It's a no brainer( mind you even spending $600 is okay) Catted dp is nice too but no comparison. Catless is the way to go. Beware you will smell gas from time to time. And ppl that stand outside your car may make a comment. I say fk them.

Where you going for more HP vs sound? I was going for more HP. Sound was just an extra bonus.

Hope this helps.
Yeah, other than when you have to go to the dealer for warranty work and they deny for dp.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 12:01 PM   #5
Saturns
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
ok..ya ... was using computer speakers... sounds good on headphones.
I was worried more with interior drone in cabin.
Unfortunately going catless will mostlikely null my warrantee.
Mostlikely need to find catback solution.

Ya I have catless on my G and everyone complains they will die of gas poisoning behind me.

Quote:

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 08:18 PM   #6
granCLop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi GT

Nice! Thx for sharing. Off to deal with more car envy.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 09:57 AM   #7
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ok..ya ... was using computer speakers... sounds good on headphones.
I was worried more with interior drone in cabin.
Unfortunately going catless will mostlikely null my warrantee.
Mostlikely need to find catback solution.

Ya I have catless on my G and everyone complains they will die of gas poisoning behind me.

Quote:

Hope this helps.
Dude learn and educate yourself on the warranty process. You are way overthinking this.... lol

They will not give you a problem. Especially during routine maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 12:10 AM   #8
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Dude learn and educate yourself on the warranty process. You are way overthinking this.... lol

Out of curiosity, have you educated yourself on Canada Consumer Laws as that is where poster is from?

I certainly have not and would not venture to make a statement like that to a poster in another Country as the USA has some of the best Consumer Laws in the World.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 06:42 PM   #9
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
Quote:

Out of curiosity, have you educated yourself on Canada Consumer Laws as that is where poster is from?

I certainly have not and would not venture to make a statement like that to a poster in another Country as the USA has some of the best Consumer Laws in the World.
Using the app I didn't see Canada but I understand where you're coming from but I would still take the risk nonetheless. Especially if it's a lease.

What I've noticed in the tuning world which I've been around for a number of years any car usually under 11. 5 seconds in the qtr mile may have some warranty issues. "May "being the word of the day. If you're trying to achieve power you can do it reliably within the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #10
Saturns
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Crashnbrn5 and Kabrich:
Its all good and thanks for the feedback.

Crashnbrn5:
In Ontario generally, you need to get an emission test every 2 years, once your vehicle is 7 years old. Not an issue with a 2016 car. Usually no cats would fail this test.
Dealerships here are stricter when/if there was a warranty issue and mods are done to the car outside of dealership work they can reject a warranty claim.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #11
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Crashnbrn5 and Kabrich:
Its all good and thanks for the feedback.

Crashnbrn5:
In Ontario generally, you need to get an emission test every 2 years, once your vehicle is 7 years old. Not an issue with a 2016 car. Usually no cats would fail this test.
Dealerships here are stricter when/if there was a warranty issue and mods are done to the car outside of dealership work they can reject a warranty claim.
In New York, you must get an inspection yearly and they use very good machines in most shops. I pay $10 for a NYS inspection sticker. Here is what I do with a catless downpipe. I "clear" the check engine light code with my iphone app literally just 2 minutes before they take my car in to be inspected. They don't need to put in on the lift since it is a 2016 model.

10 min later, all done.

They can only reject a warranty claim after BMW actually investigates it deep down. If the tune specifically caused the problem after investigated research, THEN at that point they can say NO NO NO... If the tune has ZERO correlation to the problem, you should be just fine.

Last edited by Crashnbrn5; 11-07-2016 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 06:30 PM   #12
Saturns
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Thanks. I called another dealership about this...and in all accounts with tune what you said is correct. So I should ok with the jb4 as long as it is off or 0 and reset to stock before maintenance.

As for downpipe hopefully it doesnt trigger a CEL. It doesnt for my lambo.

Here if I got a check engine light and just cleared it... the O2 sensor would show Not Ready. I would need to drive the car around to get a Ready system state. Part of the test here if having those all systems Ready. Dont know if test in NY is any different than here in toronto.

But thanks for the info. It could be Im over thinking this and it should be fine.

Quote:
In New York, you must get an inspection yearly and they use very good machines in most shops. I pay $10 for a NYS inspection sticker. Here is what I do with a catless downpipe. I "clear" the check engine light code with my iphone app literally just 2 minutes before they take my car in to be inspected. They don't need to put in on the lift since it is a 2016 model.

10 min later, all done.

They can only reject a warranty claim after BMW actually investigates it deep down. If the tune specifically caused the problem after investigated research, THEN at that point they can say NO NO NO... If the tune has ZERO correlation to the problem, you should be just fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #13
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Bro, I love that you have a fkin Lambo and a GT, 2 sick chocies. One, the most awesome supercar for weekends, and two, the most practical sedan you can buy. Love it man....

I usually drive around 30 minutes with the CEL light on before I clear it and bring it into the shop to get the inspection AND all systems are a GO.

Oh and yes you are overthinking this. lol

Quote:
Thanks. I called another dealership about this...and in all accounts with tune what you said is correct. So I should ok with the jb4 as long as it is off or 0 and reset to stock before maintenance.

As for downpipe hopefully it doesnt trigger a CEL. It doesnt for my lambo.

Here if I got a check engine light and just cleared it... the O2 sensor would show Not Ready. I would need to drive the car around to get a Ready system state. Part of the test here if having those all systems Ready. Dont know if test in NY is any different than here in toronto.

But thanks for the info. It could be Im over thinking this and it should be fine.
Appreciate 0