F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Engine Warm Up Time
ARMA SPEED

06-24-2021, 07:25 AM   #23
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
^ That's definitely NOT enough!
Operational oil temperature starts from ~60 deg upwards!
There is a blue (cold) zone under the oil gauge needle for a reason…. That's the absolute minimum one should get out of first.
Not sure what your guage reads, but mine STARTS at 70C. Once it's moving past 70C that is MORE THAN ENOUGH. It typically stops at 90C (aka almost boiling point of water).
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #24
culpability
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
The so called "cold start" is there to heat up your cat converter faster and is an environmental measure only!

You can safely disable it, it will not affect your vehicle in any way, other than being less environmentally friendly (you'd be treating your neighbours with air- instead of noise- pollution )
Thx for the response

To bring myself back on topic, when I was 18 my parents bought me a mustang for god knows what reason and I absolutely ragged on that sucker. Would pretty regularly fire it up stone cold and drop a burnout. Engine seized at 7,000 miles and thankfully got it lemon-law'ed, but learned my lesson the hard way.

My 328xi went 70k miles without a single un-scheduled maintenance item, other than a tranny fluid flush that was probably about timely anyways, never going over 3k rpm until gauge had made a little forward progress. Pretty much keeping the same procedure for the b58. As far as I'm concerned, if you couldn't hop in the car and drive off BMW (and.. every other car mfg...) would be implementing mandatory warm-up procedures. Surely less than 10% of bmw owners are even considering a warm up time in modern cars...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 08:00 AM   #25
plodmanau
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 340i m-sport

Garage List
B58 not enjoying the recent cold weather

My 340i has been rough as guts for the first couple of km in the recent cold weather here in Perth. Good once warm. The car is due for a service but just wondering if there is anything else I should be looking out for? Only 55,000km so plugs should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 07:54 PM   #26
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by culpability View Post
Surely less than 10% of bmw owners are even considering a warm up time in modern cars...
I'd go as far as any drivers, not just BMW. True story: Couple winters ago, it was crazy cold (-35C). I get into my car, fire up the engine and hit the heated seats. Brush the snow off the windows, and as I'm shivering in the seat waiting for the engine and seats to to warm up, a co-worker comes out, jumps into his jeep, fires it up (remember it's -35C outside), and just pins it out of the parking lot!

You could almost hear the little pistons screaming in pain.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 05:47 PM   #27
blacksapphire440i
Novice
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
You have to realize that the climate you are in is very different from those in the more extreme northern and southern hemispheres. If some of us up north let the engine idle to warm up, we'd be sitting in our vehicles for 30+ minutes before driving waiting for oil that is up to operating temp.

The goal is always to get your oil up to operating temp as quickly and safely as possible. The best way to do that is to start the car and start driving it under a light load. Idling with no load only extends the warm-up period, prolongs the time your engine is running with oil that is not up to temp, and wastes fuel.
Although it may waste more fuel, it never hurts to baby these BMWs!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 07:38 AM   #28
Uni-Rapide
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2019 F30 340i

Did some logging of the oil and coolant temperatures when I just bought my previous car (440i) because I didn't trust how quickly the oil reached operating temperature. The engine oil heats up at the same rate as as the coolant as you can see in the first graph attached.

Looking at the coolant system schematic that behaviour is probably explained by the fact that the B58 has a coolant/oil heat exchanger to make sure the oil get heated up more quickly. Also I believe this system is primarily focussed on heating up the top of the engine as quickly as possible to reduce emissions.

Using another app I could log both engine and sump oil temperature and then you can see a clear difference in how quickly the oil heats up. Out of interest I also added the transmission oil temperature.
Attached Images

07-04-2021, 07:42 AM   #29
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni-Rapide View Post
Did some logging of the oil and coolant temperatures when I just bought my previous car (440i) because I didn't trust how quickly the oil reached operating temperature. The engine oil heats up at the same rate as as the coolant as you can see in the first graph attached.

Looking at the coolant system schematic that behaviour is probably explained by the fact that the B58 has a coolant/oil heat exchanger to make sure the oil get heated up more quickly. Also I believe this system is primarily focussed on heating up the top of the engine as quickly as possible to reduce emissions.

Using another app I could log both engine and sump oil temperature and then you van see a clear difference in how quickly the oil heats up. Out of interest I also added the transmission oil temperature.
Your research actually inspired me to post this thread. I recall stumbling upon your findings when I was searching
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2021, 07:48 AM   #30
Uni-Rapide
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2019 F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG KLR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni-Rapide View Post

Using another app I could log both engine and sump oil temperature and then you van see a clear difference in how quickly the oil heats up. Out of interest I also added the transmission oil temperature.
Your research actually inspired me to post this thread. I recall stumbling upon your findings when I was searching
Thanks!
Just coming back to your original question, I also believe that gentle driving for about 10 minutes after cold start is the best way the warm up the engine. And as you can see from the graphs it does take about that time for all the oils to reach decent operating temperature.