F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Passenger front blinker not receiving power
Studio RSR

06-24-2021, 04:27 PM   #1
Ryanfknt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 335i xdrive

Passenger front blinker not receiving power

2014 f30 335i xenon headlights

I customized my headlights, and during the process I dropped the blinker bulb and it broke. I put the broken bulb back into the passenger side to keep dust out. Obviously during this time, that blinker didn’t work.

After replacing the bulb, the passenger blinker still didn’t work. I tried switching the driver and passenger.. driver still worked, passenger blinker did not work. Then I unplugged the bulb and checked for power on the 2 nodes inside the headlight, drivers side has powe, passenger side was not getting power!

I then removed removed the 12 pin harness from the headlight (the main and only plug in for the headlights) and checked pin #1 for power (pin #1 is the power for the blinkers) this test I left the hazards on.

Drivers side pin #1, I received power. Passenger side pin#1, no power. My harness stopped putting power into pin #1 to activate the blinker.

My side mirrors and rear flashers all work no problem. Just no power to pin #1 on the passenger headlight. I never had a problem before I plugged in the broken bulb.

Is there a fuse that would have blown just the passenger side? Why is my car no longer sending power to pin #1 on the passenger headlight??

Any help would be much much much appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 08:22 PM   #2
Ryanfknt
Private
United_States
Rep

If somebody helps get to the bottom of this problem..
I’ll pay you venmo cashapp or PayPal
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 12:18 PM   #3
Ryanfknt
Private
United_States
Rep

Heeeeeelp me please 😔

Will compensate!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 01:00 PM   #4
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

I'm not looking for money 😁...did you (or can you) change the harness? While it's possible someone here can remote diagnose this, you might be better off going to a professional?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 01:32 PM   #5
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Why do you think the turn signal not working has anything to do with the dropping of the lamp? I would guess it has more to do with the "customization" you did to your headlights prior. What exactly did you do or attempt to do to your headlights? Here is the wiring diagram for your headlights....
Attached Images

06-25-2021, 01:35 PM   #6
Ryanfknt
Private
United_States
Rep

I’m trying to find a shop that is interested in looking into it. 4 places so far all booked out atleast a week.. I’m like bro cmon it’s just one blinker not working let’s get this figured out now!!!

There is no damage to the harness
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 01:40 PM   #7
Ryanfknt
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
Why do you think the turn signal not working has anything to do with the dropping of the lamp? I would guess it has more to do with the "customization" you did to your headlights prior. What exactly did you do or attempt to do to your headlights? Here is the wiring diagram for your headlights....
The harness that plugs into the headlight is 12 pin. Pin #1 on that harness supply’s power to the blinker.
With the harness removed from the headlight, the headlight customization is now out of the picture.
There is no power being sent to pin #1. (Testing with the hazards flashing) that can be checked through pin #1. On the other side, there is power being sent to pin #1 during turn signal or hazards.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 01:54 PM   #8
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanfknt View Post
The harness that plugs into the headlight is 12 pin. Pin #1 on that harness supply’s power to the blinker.
With the harness removed from the headlight, the headlight customization is now out of the picture.
There is no power being sent to pin #1. (Testing with the hazards flashing) that can be checked through pin #1. On the other side, there is power being sent to pin #1 during turn signal or hazards.
All i'm saying is it was working before you 'customized' it. And now it's not.

Do you have ISTA?

You've already diagnosed your problem, and if everything you are saying is correct in regards to the pins then you're car isn't providing power through your wiring harness. your next step is to use a puncture probe on the wire leading into pin 1 to find out if the power is coming down the cable and the disconnect is at the harness itself or if its further down the line.... rinse and repeat this procedure down the electrical path until you find power.
Also, you're right it is "just a blinker" so not sure why you expect a shop to treat it like an emergency and rush you in when they are fully booked.
      06-25-2021, 02:43 PM   #9
Ryanfknt
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
All i'm saying is it was working before you 'customized' it. And now it's not.

Do you have ISTA?

You've already diagnosed your problem, and if everything you are saying is correct in regards to the pins then you're car isn't providing power through your wiring harness. your next step is to use a puncture probe on the wire leading into pin 1 to find out if the power is coming down the cable and the disconnect is at the harness itself or if its further down the line.... rinse and repeat this procedure down the electrical path until you find power.
Also, you're right it is "just a blinker" so not sure why you expect a shop to treat it like an emergency and rush you in when they are fully booked.
No I do not have ISTA.

The custom work I did was just led parts from bavgruppe. I added the vision rings and led brow. They are all just led attachments that run on their own power wired to the battery. It does not alter or affect the projector or blinkers.

I believe plugging in the broken bulb likely fried something down the line.. what a stupid idea that was to plug that in 🤦*♂️ I will continue testing down the line as you suggested.. I was of course hoping that someone would know of some sort of relay or fuse that would have blown from putting in that shattered bulb.

Psa I didn’t expect or ask any shop to prioritize me, just simply ranting online 😌

Thanks for the tips!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 01:15 PM   #10
Ryanfknt
Private
United_States
Rep

The led brow that was connected to the blinker was causing an issue. Maybe it was connected to the blinkers ground instead of the power. I can’t tell.

I disconnected the yellow wire that goes to the brow and had bmw send power back to the blinker and now it’s fine. The brow was connected to the blinker so it flashes orange with the turn signal, so now I don’t have that option. No big deal!
(Btw bmws only solution was to offer me a new set of headlights for $4500 lol)

Just wanted to complete my post to show what the problem was and how I fixed!
Appreciate 3
BimR245.00
HarryTee214.00
Wires1644.00
      08-22-2021, 10:40 PM   #11
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanfknt View Post
The led brow that was connected to the blinker was causing an issue. Maybe it was connected to the blinkers ground instead of the power. I can’t tell.

I disconnected the yellow wire that goes to the brow and had bmw send power back to the blinker and now it’s fine. The brow was connected to the blinker so it flashes orange with the turn signal, so now I don’t have that option. No big deal!
(Btw bmws only solution was to offer me a new set of headlights for $4500 lol)

Just wanted to complete my post to show what the problem was and how I fixed!
Great it worked out. And glad you didn't spend $4500!
Appreciate 0