F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MHD Wifi adapter issues?
proTUNING Freaks

03-04-2020, 02:18 AM   #1
StuyMac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

MHD Wifi adapter issues?

Anyone else had a problem with the MHD WiFi adapter?

Been flashing and logging with mine for 4 months, until earlier this week it wouldnt connect. Hooked up to the tablet fine, but not the car.

Anyway, a bit of wiggling later, I got it connected. Same a couple of days later, with the adapter plugged all the way in, no connection to the car. Turns out, it needs to be retracted a little, and wiggled to get a connection, though this seems not to be an exact science, and it took me 15-20 mins to get connected to do some logging last night

Ive tested the OBD port with my Carly adapter - hooks up first time, so that rules out an OBD port issue on the car!

Contected MHD, but they are VERY slow to respond
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 02:48 AM   #2
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

no issues on mine so far. maybe check the pins? have you dropped it? if not, since you haven't had it that long, contact the seller and ask them about an exchange.. should have a 1 year limited warranty, most product when purchased new does.
      03-04-2020, 03:17 AM   #3
StuyMac
Private First Class
Rep

No, not dropped, it lives in the glovebox and goes from there to the OBD port. Some did mention they had a similar thing with theirs on a Facebook group, so was just asking here to see if it was common.

Pins all look good, none are pronounced or sunk back.

Ive contacted the retailer (BMS) and they said take it up with MHD, but MHD are very slow at getting back to me
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 06:35 AM   #4
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

I have had alot of issues with mine.
And im still waiting for a solution from MHD, Havent heard back from them. For about 5 days now.

Mine won't connect sometimes, connect other times, and Failed my first full write flash, which was nerve killing.

I was able after 2 tries to complete the full flash with the wifi adapter, but it now lags and freezes during datalogging, cant get it to work otherwise without freezing...

I have tried everything in the book except try another tablet.

My tablet is brand new, and i have done 3 factory resets ad updates to try to fix the issue to no win.

My next step might be to return this wifi unit and get a traditional wire obd.
      03-04-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
e38740imd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
And im still waiting for a solution from MHD, Havent heard back from them. For about 5 days now.

Mine won't connect sometimes, connect other times, and Failed my first full write flash, which was nerve killing.

I was able after 2 tries to complete the full flash with the wifi adapter, but it now lags and freezes during datalogging, cant get it to work otherwise without freezing...

My tablet is brand new, and i have done 3 factory resets ad updates to try to fix the issue to no win.

ill be in New York this weekend and i have a wired setup-

if you you want we could meet up and see if it works before you make the jump for wired
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 07:58 AM   #6
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e38740imd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post

ill be in New York this weekend and i have a wired setup-

if you you want we could meet up and see if it works before you make the jump for wired
I appreciate that very much! But my car is out of the country in europe! Not in NY
Thank you!
      03-05-2020, 10:05 AM   #7
StuyMac
Private First Class
Rep

After little response from MHD, I have returned the apapter to BMS for a replacement.

Just gotta wait for it to get from UK > USA and then have the replacement sent back
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:56 AM   #8
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyMac View Post
After little response from MHD, I have returned the apapter to BMS for a replacement.

Just gotta wait for it to get from UK > USA and then have the replacement sent back
Keep us up to date if the new adapter is any better!? I might have to do the same
      03-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #9
StuyMac
Private First Class
Rep

Replacement adapter arrived today.

Got an instant connection, no wiggling required, and the connection is stable
Appreciate 2
5soko332.00
      03-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #10
e38740imd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i

probably just got a lemon

glad they were able to fix the issue
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:16 PM   #11
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

It is based on the Thor wifi adapter. Find out if anyone has had the same kind of issues.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 06:39 PM   #12
Sebastian5020
Registered
Rep
Drives: 435 M Sport Edition

Hi everyone,
I recently had the same issue with the black Wifi adapter.
Impossible to do propers logs it freeze after a few seconds or minutes if i am lucky.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 06:41 PM   #13
Sebastian5020
Registered
Rep
Drives: 435 M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyMac View Post

Does it works fine since MHD changed your unit after a few weeks?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 05:32 AM   #14
adrien78
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i

This problem is known, some black adapters are defective and need to be replaced. A friend have the same problem, failed flashes, error connecting.... We tried with mine, instant connect and flash with no problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 06:56 AM   #15
bdragon46
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i

I have the black adapter which works fine for the most part. Only real issue is it messing up my logs
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 12:45 PM   #16
alexpereap
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i G42 xdrive

Ive had the mhd WiFi orange adaptor for 3 months now and I’ve experienced very unreliable and unstable connection when in outdoors near to multiple other WiFi networks (for example near to apartments) the WiFi network from mhd becomes available \ unavailable all the time. However when indoors (like in a subterranean parking) away from all the interference generated from other WiFi networks works like a charm. I don’t know if the device is too susceptible to interference or is just my device that is defective. Maybe anyone can relate to this same behavior or test and let us know their experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 01:04 PM   #17
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpereap View Post
Ive had the mhd WiFi orange adaptor for 3 months now and I’ve experienced very unreliable and unstable connection when in outdoors near to multiple other WiFi networks (for example near to apartments) the WiFi network from mhd becomes available \ unavailable all the time. However when indoors (like in a subterranean parking) away from all the interference generated from other WiFi networks works like a charm. I don’t know if the device is too susceptible to interference or is just my device that is defective. Maybe anyone can relate to this same behavior or test and let us know their experience.
I have the black one since I have a f32. Contact mhd for an exchange.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 12:42 PM   #18
alexpereap
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
I have the black one since I have a f32. Contact mhd for an exchange.
I contacted MHD, below is their official answer:

Q:Hello dear MHD team

Ive had the mhd WiFi orange adaptor for 3 months, and I’ve experienced very unreliable and unstable connection when in outdoors near to multiple other WiFi networks (for example near to apartments). The WiFi network from mhd becomes available \ unavailable all the time. However when indoors (like in a subterranean parking) away from all the interference generated from other WiFi networks works like a charm. I don’t know if the device itself is too susceptible to interference or is just my device that is defective. This is for sure a problem when logging data, as the connection drops constantly when near to public areas. Can you please confirm is this is normal ? Thank you

Answer from MHD: Hi Alex,

That is normal behaviour when there are many WIFI networks around, they interfere the signal, unfortunately

Thanks

---------------

So I guess that's the way it is 🤷🏽*♂️ please guys be careful when doing flashes in outdoors.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 12:52 PM   #19
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpereap View Post
I contacted MHD, below is their official answer:

Q:Hello dear MHD team

Ive had the mhd WiFi orange adaptor for 3 months, and I’ve experienced very unreliable and unstable connection when in outdoors near to multiple other WiFi networks (for example near to apartments). The WiFi network from mhd becomes available \ unavailable all the time. However when indoors (like in a subterranean parking) away from all the interference generated from other WiFi networks works like a charm. I don’t know if the device itself is too susceptible to interference or is just my device that is defective. This is for sure a problem when logging data, as the connection drops constantly when near to public areas. Can you please confirm is this is normal ? Thank you

Answer from MHD: Hi Alex,

That is normal behaviour when there are many WIFI networks around, they interfere the signal, unfortunately

Thanks

---------------

So I guess that's the way it is 🤷🏽*♂️ please guys be careful when doing flashes in outdoors.
Well I'm glad you received an answer although not the one you may have wanted. Simple solution would be to flash in areas that do not interfere with the signal and perhaps carry a wired cable adapter just in case. But this issue is related to the orange adapter for the e-series models. This being the f-series section, I have not heard any issues with the black adapter.

Do you have a e-series car?? I know the orange adapter is compatible with f-series but not recommended.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 04:38 PM   #20
alexpereap
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
Well I'm glad you received an answer although not the one you may have wanted. Simple solution would be to flash in areas that do not interfere with the signal and perhaps carry a wired cable adapter just in case. But this issue is related to the orange adapter for the e-series models. This being the f-series section, I have not heard any issues with the black adapter.

Do you have a e-series car?? I know the orange adapter is compatible with f-series but not recommended.
I do have a n55e BMW 135i coupe 2013, maybe not the right place for the forum topic! I know this is f series related, but this info may help anyone owning the orange wifi adapter.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 03:27 PM   #21
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: f32 n55

had to travel this weekend and didnt have access to e85 so I had to remap back to the stg2+ 93 map, came back to the office today and filled up on e85 (e20 mix) and went to flash back to the stage 2+ e20 map.....nothing it says its connected to the phone with through wifi and everything. I have the black adapter and this is really frustrating, I really want those extra ponies back , I think I will try the wiggle technique as soon as I leave the office if not then I will buy a cable.

Its connecting to the phone fine but when I login to MHD it wont connect to the DME, car runs fine and everything. sooo annoying
      04-14-2021, 03:59 PM   #22
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinniciF32 View Post
had to travel this weekend and didnt have access to e85 so I had to remap back to the stg2+ 93 map, came back to the office today and filled up on e85 (e20 mix) and went to flash back to the stage 2+ e20 map.....nothing it says its connected to the phone with through wifi and everything. I have the black adapter and this is really frustrating, I really want those extra ponies back , I think I will try the wiggle technique as soon as I leave the office if not then I will buy a cable.

Its connecting to the phone fine but when I login to MHD it wont connect to the DME, car runs fine and everything. sooo annoying
1. Are you around a lot of other Wifi networks? People have reported issues with that.

2. Did you get signed out of MHD in the app? That happens to me when i dont use it for a while, then i have to go through several steps to get logged back in before i can connect to the car.

I considered the WiFi adapter but i bought the bimmergeeks wired cable years ago and its been very reliable so i feel no need to switch.
Appreciate 0