F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > M2 v M240 vid
ARMA SPEED

09-02-2016, 05:53 PM   #89
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

I will move it on soon anyway and get the vaseline out... not!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #90
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I just found out theirs only 1 interior upholstery option!! Black with blue stitching, that's it! WTF!

And only one interior trim option, and just 4 paint colours! It is lacking in a lot of ways imo.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 06:05 PM   #91
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnbrukid View Post
I will move it on soon anyway and get the vaseline out... not!
Not before you post your pics though.

I assume you crowed about having an M2 while I was away in Exile over the summer?

I was not aware any forum members had an M2 yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 06:13 PM   #92
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

A lot of M2 bashing on here tonight?

Damn that pesky M240i.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #93
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

I'm amazed that so many people without a vested interest in the M2 would spend so much of their time arguing with a stranger on an internet forum as to why they were wrong to buy an M2.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 11:05 PM   #94
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4, Lotus and Lancia

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
The M2 is nice, but if only they made a slightly bigger car with more power, HUD, nicer seats, a carbon fibre roof, plenty of build slots and decent discounts!
And that weighs practically the same, I reckon they must be making the M2 out of lead
Appreciate 1
teaston10994.50
      09-02-2016, 11:07 PM   #95
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
I'm amazed that so many people without a vested interest in the M2 would spend so much of their time arguing with a stranger on an internet forum as to why they were wrong to buy an M2.
Maybe just as amazing as someone squirming around trying to justify their M2 purchase
Appreciate 1
CazuaLLUK2221.00
      09-03-2016, 04:30 AM   #96
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Ah that was a good evenings entertainment.

Thanks to all involved

Especially to bad mo fo mat, who's easier to wind up than a McDonald's happy meal toy
Appreciate 3
CazuaLLUK2221.00
teaston10994.50
      09-03-2016, 06:32 AM   #97
Dyl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4GC

The guy who runs my local post office was telling me one of his customers has a 240i, his order was upgraded from a 235i.

Apparently his neighbours cctv has been tampered with and a car was blocking it in to his drive was broken into and attempted to be moved. Strange things happening over the course of a few nights. Clearly someone is determined to get it. Bastards.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 08:09 AM   #98
Drisser
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d/Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Didn't think this debate would ensue when I posted a simple vid !

Given I have a deposit on an M2 I am genuinely interested in whether the M2 is worth £15k more than an m140 etc..

Agree with comments on both sides, the choice of colours, wheels etc is a bit lame but it keeps cost down. I like the fact it is a "simple" car with no fancy driver aids and adjustable suspension etc. in Boggo spec with manual box the M2 has all the kit I would want.

Residuals.. Nobody knows so a pointless debate right now.

Interesting side discussion about limited run cars, the golf gti club sport was allegedly sold out but my local dealer has told me yesterday their first car is a stock car not sold yet and they will likely run it as a demo. 3 months ago everyone said club sports were spoken for.
He said it's now likely production will run well into next year due to lower demand.

The m2 looks to be currently being made in lower numbers so I am interested if BMW give some clarity on total production. A 45k car that holds its value better is good, but you also tie up lots less cash in a 30k car and let's face it, it depends if you are buying to keep or not ( I am)

Will be interesting to see what 2017 brings in terms of M2 allocations, until then, no denying a heavily discounted m140 at say £28 k that will do 100 mph in under 10 secs is incredible value.
      09-03-2016, 09:04 AM   #99
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drisser View Post

Given I have a deposit on an M2 I am genuinely interested in whether the M2 is worth £15k more than an m140 etc...
Yes, did generate the posting of some strong views.

I thought the two guys actually driving the cars, made some pretty fair comments and judgements on the models.

So easy to lose the point of the M2 and see discounts, residuals, specification, etc., dominating whether it is 'value' or not. I personally think that misses the point on whether the M-car is the one to have, or not. Money itself is not the issue, if the experience and emotion are rewarding. Only we individually can make that judgement. Same as eating out, is a top restaurant worth the extra cost, to get very similar food to a restaurant where it costs half the money? Can well be worth every penny, if it rewards us personally, never mind what the next guy says.

Also the contention from the vid, re the acceleration runs could be misleading, if it is viewed all 240i's are going to virtually equal the M2. I think we need to see the results of more controlled tests, to see if this is typical, an anomaly, or whether the 240i example was simply a "good 'un".

I know if I was in the M2 market, for me the 240i would be second best, however great a car it happens to be.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #100
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The thing is, I've had an M135i for two years now, and it's a great car for the money, but it's no M car. Period. And nor should it be for the price. It's competing against the likes of the Golf R and Audi S3.

These debates generally are pointless and I don't know why I get dragged into them. It would be nice to discuss it with credible people, but invariably it's just bitter and jealous people who seem to get pleasure from trying to make someone feel bad. As if anything a complete stranger says on a car forum would somehow affect how I feel! What empty lives they must have if that's what they find entertaining.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #101
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:

Given I have a deposit on an M2 I am genuinely interested in whether the M2 is worth £15k more than an m140 etc..

Agree with comments on both sides, the choice of colours, wheels etc is a bit lame but it keeps cost down. I like the fact it is a "simple" car with no fancy driver aids and adjustable suspension etc. in Boggo spec with manual box the M2 has all the kit I would want.

Residuals.. Nobody knows so a pointless debate right now.

Interesting side discussion about limited run cars, the golf gti club sport was allegedly sold out but my local dealer has told me yesterday their first car is a stock car not sold yet and they will likely run it as a demo. 3 months ago everyone said club sports were spoken for.
He said it's now likely production will run well into next year due to lower demand.

The m2 looks to be currently being made in lower numbers so I am interested if BMW give some clarity on total production. A 45k car that holds its value better is good, but you also tie up lots less cash in a 30k car and let's face it, it depends if you are buying to keep or not ( I am)

Will be interesting to see what 2017 brings in terms of M2 allocations, until then, no denying a heavily discounted m140 at say £28 k that will do 100 mph in under 10 secs is incredible value.
Agree with pretty much all that and with most of HighlandPete's subsequent comments as well.

Re-reading EVO's opinion on the M2 at launch it did seem as if the engine was the one thing they were a bit lukewarm about and I do wonder why BMW chose to use the older N55 engine when the B58 was already available and installed in other models? However, that point aside, dynamically they judged the M2 to be comfortably ahead of the M235i in all other areas and, as the M240i hasn't changed apart from the engine, it would be fair to assume that the M-car still offers an improved driving experience (albeit perhaps not a faster one in a straight line!).

Personally I can certainly see the attraction of the M2 as the restricted range of colours and equipment is no issue to me and the lack of things like different damper settings to play with is a positive not a negative in my book! My only misgiving is that it just seems pricey compared to other models in the range (most notably the M4 which with a discount can be had for similar money to a list price M2 with a half decent spec) but, as HighlandPete says, that's really for individual purchasers to judge.

I seem to recall that many of the same debates were had at the time the 1M was launched and, as we now know, that's stood the test of time rather well. My gut feel is that the M2 won't in quite the same way but then 5 years ago I never thought second-hand 1M's would be worth over £40k so what do I know?!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #102
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
My only misgiving is that it just seems pricey compared to other models in the range (most notably the M4 which with a discount can be had for similar money to a list price M2 with a half decent spec) but, as HighlandPete says, that's really for individual purchasers to judge.
Completely agree. The M4 with a big discount makes far more sense than an M2 at list price. However, it depends on the specs, obviously. My M2 has a list price of £48,500 with the options I've taken. If I chose an M4, then in my spec it comes out at £57,500 on Coast to Coast. That's still nearly £10,000 more expensive. And the M4 would depreciate like a brick in the first six months. I'm pretty certain my M2 won't over the same time period.

Granted, some people may be happy with a virtually standard spec on their M4, in which case the price difference would be less.

If I had to choose between picking up a new M3/M4 or an M2 next Tuesday, and I had to live with that decision for the next three years, then I'd be picking up an M4.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #103
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The thing is, I've had an M135i for two years now, and it's a great car for the money, but it's no M car. Period. And nor should it be for the price. It's competing against the likes of the Golf R and Audi S3.

These debates generally are pointless and I don't know why I get dragged into them. It would be nice to discuss it with credible people, but invariably it's just bitter and jealous people who seem to get pleasure from trying to make someone feel bad. As if anything a complete stranger says on a car forum would somehow affect how I feel! What empty lives they must have if that's what they find entertaining.
Wow you really are bitter as a bag of lemons!
Appreciate 1
Mark1966801.50
      09-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #104
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Wow you really are bitter as a bag of lemons!
Not bitter at all. Just find it tiresome when intelligent debates are disrupted by people who are just trying to troll. And I'm not even including Nisfan or Brigand in that.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #105
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Not bitter at all. Just find it tiresome when intelligent debates are disrupted by people who are just trying to troll. And I'm not even including Nisfan or Brigand in that.
Their isn't any trolling going on from what I can see, just people with opinions! I don't understand why you are taking everything so seriously/personally?
Appreciate 3
      09-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #106
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If I had to choose between picking up a new M3/M4 or an M2 next Tuesday, and I had to live with that decision for the next three years, then I'd be picking up an M4.
I guess it depends what you want from the car and (possibly) what access you have to other vehicles! Not having driven either my suspicion is that the M4 would be more refined on a long run so, if it was your only car and you wanted something that could do both fun and practical, the M4 would almost certainly win the day. However, I get the impression the M2 perhaps offers a more involving drive and that would appeal to me, especially if I knew I had something like the F31 335d to fall back on for the more practical, boring, stuff!

Going back a few years I had (and loved) an E46 M3 CS and from what I've read the M2 would probably come closer to recreating that driving experience than an M4; however, I could be talking rubbish and hence if I was in a position to make the choice I'd want to drive both before deciding which way to jump!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 10:44 AM   #107
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Their isn't any trolling going on from what I can see, just people with opinions! I don't understand why you are taking everything so seriously/personally?
I think as has been mentioned before he is a 'sensitive soul'
Appreciate 1
teaston10994.50
      09-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #108
Drisser
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d/Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

I do have one serious gripe though. Virtually no BMW UK demo cars around. For a car with such hype I don't think it's good enough to not provide serious ( and loyal BMW) customers who put down deposits months ago without the chance to drive the car first before buying..

At the very least they should have supported dealers with a few cars for these customers and moved them around the country to let serious buyers have the chance to drive one.
      09-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #109
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I do have one serious gripe though. Virtually no BMW UK demo cars around. For a car with such hype I don't think it's good enough to not provide serious ( and loyal BMW) customers who put down deposits months ago without the chance to drive the car first before buying..

At the very least they should have supported dealers with a few cars for these customers and moved them around the country to let serious buyers have the chance to drive one.
Very true! Pretty much all of us are having to base our judgement on what motoring journalists are saying and they're a notoriously fickle bunch for whom the latest is more often than not the greatest. To illustrate the point, the new copy of EVO landed on my door mat today and the Focus RS - the greatest thing since sliced bread only a couple of months ago - is now apparently second best to the Golf GTi Clubsport.....
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 01:28 PM   #110
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Really? So how do the comments quoted below add to the discussion about the M2?

I like a good debate. In fact, I love it. It doesn't bother me in the slightest what a stranger says on an internet forum. I am very self-assured. I wouldn't be doing the job I'm doing if I wasn't. It's just tedious trying to wade through the childish comments when you come here to discuss cars. Some people can even be quite entertaining, and I can visualise the tongue-in-cheek comments when they're made. But Mark1966 doesn't have the wit of Brigand, and he just comes across as the classic keyboard warrior who jumps into a thread and tries to impress the people he most wants to gain the respect of. Not just in this thread, but all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1966 View Post
I say prepare Mr Botty with plenty of Vaseline my Scottish friend
Quote:
I think you probably feel silly ordering the M2 over an M3/4 and you are just a little bit embarrassed by your decision and feel the need to defend it at every opportunity
Quote:
Oh dear BMW must be having a chuckle at guys like you.
Quote:
Maybe just as amazing as someone squirming around trying to justify their M2 purchase
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Ah that was a good evenings entertainment.

Thanks to all involved

Especially to bad mo fo mat, who's easier to wind up than a McDonald's happy meal toy
Appreciate 1
Mark1966801.50