F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > TTFS XDI-35 HPFP Upgrade + PS2 Turbo Build/Result Thread! 500+ whp
GetBMWParts

05-12-2020, 06:27 PM   #155
Dynamic_m235
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_SixSpeed View Post
Hi all - I wanted to make a thread to share my feedback, results and experience with the new TTFS XDI HPFP upgrade option we have now available on the market. The HPFP is mated to a PS2 Turbo and being tuned via BootMod3. I am doing my own independent testing on this setup and I'm honored to be supported by and working with some of the best names in the game

Preface:
My f-series N55 PWG 6MT has been in great health and well maintained. I picked up a Pure Stage 2 turbo earlier this year and was running it on the stock fuel system with full supporting modifications. I initially planned to just run that setup for a while (and it was a fun setup!) but I felt as if I wasn't pushing the PS2 to its capability and I was missing out on some serious power for my specific setup. The fueling, specifically the HPFP was now the bottleneck... Anything over 16-17 psi (roughly) of boost on the stock fuel system would cause my fuel pressure to drop. Once I got more information on the newly developed XDI pump, it sounded like a nice fit for me.

Reasons I picked this setup over port injection or meth injection:
1. DME has complete control over fueling
2. I don't need to run an external controller to control fueling - JB4 and PI seems to be hit and miss sometimes as far as smoothness and drivability.
3. This pump is supposedly capable of 500+ whp and is ethanol friendly.

List of Engine Modifications:
  • Pure Stage 2 Turbo Upgrade
  • Pure Turbos High Flow Inlet Pipe
  • Go Fast Bits (GFB) DV+ Diverter Valve
  • TTFS XDI-35 Series N55 High Performance Fuel Pump
  • AFE Open Air Intake with Dryflow Filter
  • ER Catless Downpipe (w/ Ceramic Thermal Coating)
  • AWE Tuning Exhaust with Performance Mid-pipe, 102mm Chrome Silver Tips
  • CTS Front Mount Intercooler
  • Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipes (anodized black)
  • N20 NGK Spark Plugs Gapped at .020
  • BootMod3 Software with Custom Tune
  • 550i Clutch Upgrade
  • Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) Delete

TTFS XDI-35 Fuel Pump

I worked with Frank and Gabe over at Tuning Tech FS to grab the new pump. These guys are professional and were very responsive to any inquiries (this should be an industry standard, though it seems very hard to come by in this industry). They supplied the new parameters for the HPFP to my tuner extremely quickly to ensure I had no hiccups during the install. Thank you guys!

Baseline Dyno
What good is it to brag about power numbers if you don't have a good starting point prior! Remember, every dyno reads a little different from each other so it is important to dyno and get a nice baseline to measure the delta and gains after, preferably on the same dyno! I did 273whp, 298wtrq bone stock and 383whp, 494wtrq on the PWG stock turbo on 93 octane (peak power was only at about 5k rpm then the stocker starts running out of steam - reason why I went PS2, but that's a topic for another day!)

I headed over to my friends over at Maximum PSI/Bimmer Clinic in New Jersey, where I do all my dyno runs and more complex work at! Great people and place. Time to throw the car on the dyno for a baseline

424whp, 455wtrq

Baseline Pure Stage 2 dyno on STOCK FUEL SYSTEM on PUMP GAS 93 octane. Both runs have the same hardware parts on them - Blue line is the stock tune, red is BM3 S2H 93 oct tune (running 16 psi at peak power.) Car is healthy! Top end pulls much harder then the stocker. I was really happy with the numbers on just 16 psi and 93. Please note: this is on the stock fuel system.

We spared no time after the baseline and it was time to throw on the new HPFP! Install was smooth, no hiccups. We loaded in the new tune file and car started right up. Car runs exactly the same as stock HPFP, no drivability issues at all... perfect! Time to turn up the boost!!

Feedback with the new pump thus far:

The TTFS XDI pump is holding 20-21 psi the whole RPM range on PS2 turbo. This is only on 93 octane

Still dialing in the setup, we just started upping boost and damn the car is a missile! This is a nice setup for even pump gas setup. Once we start throwing more octane at it (ethanol mix or race gas) we can bump the timing up more aggressively, but trust me the car is quite fun as is

Here is my setup from this morning - 20+ psi at 6.5k rpm on 93 octane pump gas - fuel pressure is perfect.

And yes.... we are planning an ethanol tune as well

I will continue to update this thread as time goes on.

Big Shout Out to all involved:
  • Protuning Freaks / BootMod3 - Halim + Dzenan
  • Mike and Bill at Maximum PSI/Bimmer Clinic
  • Frank and Gabe Smith at TTFS
  • BM3 FB Crew

Update 12/28/18

Here is a side by side comparison of stocker vs. XDI-35 hpfp. Both logs have same hardware parts (aside from the upgraded pump) and are both in top of 3rd gear @ 6k RPM (same exact speed too - that was actually a coincidence)

You can see the stock HPFP would dip/crash on anything above 16-17 psi (sometimes associated with a rough fuel cut and buck - I'm sure a few of you know what I'm talking about lol). I'm running 20-21 psi on the XDI-35 pump and no fuel pressure dips at all. Car feels real beastly up top at 20+ psi with solid timing too .

Dyno numbers coming

-----------------------------

10/15/19

Finally got a chance to hit the rollers again! 528 whp and 570 wtrq

Again this is with PS2 Turbo, FBO, XDI-35 HPFP, custom tune + supporting mods.

Runs were all consistent with and awesome power curve as well. Car is running FLASH ONLY and 93oct/boostane for these runs. Car is certainly a blast to drive!
Is the ots stage 2 93oct tune enough to support the pump?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #156
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic_m235 View Post
Is the ots stage 2 93oct tune enough to support the pump?
What do you mean "support the pump"? There is an option at flash time if you have upgraded HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 09:08 PM   #157
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

1.5 year since I jumped ship to MHD and my PWG PS2 tuning is still ongoing Seeing the one log in your thread it looks like Halim really nailed it How many revisions did you go through?

6° timing is not a lot. Have you discussed with Halim if that is the best way to make power as opposed to lower boost and more timing?
      05-12-2020, 09:37 PM   #158
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Oh another question. How many inHG has your WG been adjusted to?
      05-12-2020, 11:37 PM   #159
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

13blk335ix
Did you get a PS2 installed and tuned?