F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > What else to buy for car?
proTUNING Freaks

02-19-2019, 04:43 PM   #1
Monkeyboxers
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 30i G01 M-Sport

What else to buy for car?

I've had the car for nearly 3 years and it's been a while since I've purchased something for my car. I've been contemplating whether I should buy a rotatory DA, but looking at my car there isn't much swirls (Alpine white) as I've always used the two bucket method and taking care of it well. So, would that $400 (AUD) be worth it, since I've survived without it for 3 years and probably use it every 6 months?

Maybe invest that $400 to get my rims repairs from that gutter scratches, but that'll probably come back within 1 year or so!

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:07 PM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

True - paint defects are more difficult to see on white, but they are probably there. For a novice, a DA/random orbital machine is a safer bet than a rotary one, and cheaper. Leaves you some $$ to get the wheels repaired!
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-polisher.html
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:49 PM   #3
Monkeyboxers
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Sorry, typo. I meant DA orbital machine. Is having a DA orbital a luxury item instead of must have item? Hmmmm...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 07:45 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

For serious paint correction you need a rotary and a DA. DAs aren't aggressive enough for heavy cutting to remove spider webbing, while a rotary leaves swirl marks with light cutting and polishing. If you have a light color spider webbing isn't all that visible, so a DA using only light cut compound and polish will do.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

If you only hand-washed your car and took care of it, there is absolutely no need to rub a layer of clear-coat down just for the sake of it! If you do have specific minor scratches - polish out locally.

I bought my white Audi used and it had some swirls (not too many, but just enough). I spent 14 hours straight polishing it all with a DA orbital polisher achieving let's say 80% success, given that I was a rookie. This was the moment I decided to never ever put the car again through a machine wash.
      02-20-2019, 05:02 PM   #6
Monkeyboxers
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Yeah, that's what I mean. I used the scratch correction by hand and it does a great job. So , not sure if a DA is a good investment.

So anything else I should invest in my garage? or just save so money...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 07:11 PM   #7
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Don't know your garage but I always find where to spend some bucks around the garage
But yes, I would say buying a polisher in your case would be money wasted. Get some power-washer accessories
It took me a while before I ran out of Kärcher ideas
      02-21-2019, 09:10 PM   #8
Monkeyboxers
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

What type of accessories? I've got a Karcher K2 with a foam gun and it's been serving me well, so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. I've read elsewhere you have a K7 but I don't think I'll be investing in that (AUD$960).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:39 PM   #9
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

K7 is an overkill if you are to use it for washing the car only. The balanced choice for that application is typically K4/K5. (K2 is quite underpowered).

But this aside, there are a bunch of useful accessories. My favourite ones related to car-washing are:
- the short, vario power jet nozzle VP 145 S / VP 160 S
- undercarriage washer 2.642-561.0

The latter is I believe discontinued... I was lucky to find it discounted in a shop clearing their stock about an year ago. Fantastic for the winter! Includes a bottle of undercarriage wax and a waxing nozzle as well.

The foam cannon FJ 6 does a decent job, but as others, I have found that aftermarket cannons, such as the MATCC foam cannon, are superior. Have and use both.
      02-21-2019, 10:00 PM   #10
Monkeyboxers
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

So, I've read that pressure of the washer doesn't play that much of importance. As long as there's foam and it sticks it's ok. Hence petrol ones with "shaving cream foams" are for looks. Electric ones still does the same job; loosing the dirt and etc.

As for the MATCC foam cannon, we don't have that available in Australia. I've been using Autobrite premium (https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/a...-k-series.html).
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 01:41 AM   #11
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Pressure is not so important for the foam, but for getting rid of the dirt thereafter. What doesn't come off under pressure will have to be rubbed manually... hence increased risk of scratches.
Too much pressure is not good either (I still think this is how I bent my door, although it sounds unbelievable).
      03-07-2019, 01:14 PM   #12
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

My porter cable random orbital polisher has been a great purchase. 12 years old and still going strong. I use it every 6 months on my cars. The results are great and it really is easy to use. There are new more advanced choices but mine works great. I would highly recommend spending he money on a good polishing set up. Even with a white car you will be really pleased with the look and finish you will get.
Appreciate 0