F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Xenon Projector Retrofit
proTUNING Freaks

09-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #1
ram.matthew
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Xenon Projector Retrofit

Hi all! I've done some digging and can't really seem to find a good answer to my question.

I'm sure you've all come across used OEM xenon headlamp assemblies for sale. These seem to mostly include just the housing. My question is, can these be easily retrofitted to a car without the lighting package? More specifically, I'm not considering spending the thousands to buy the original components, code, etc. But, what's the problem with buying an aftermarket xenon kit (the assumption being that the factor projectors accept D2R bulbs) and use the aftermarket ballasts and wiring by drilling through the dust cap?

Of course the halos are important too but is it not possible to easily (or somewhat) wire the LEDs using the existing DRL power source?

Naturally, the headlamp leveling won't function but I don't believe the aftermarket projectors have this feature.

Has this been done or attempted? Is this just not possible?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 12:55 PM   #2
jlorenzo125
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.matthew View Post
Hi all! I've done some digging and can't really seem to find a good answer to my question.

I'm sure you've all come across used OEM xenon headlamp assemblies for sale. These seem to mostly include just the housing. My question is, can these be easily retrofitted to a car without the lighting package? More specifically, I'm not considering spending the thousands to buy the original components, code, etc. But, what's the problem with buying an aftermarket xenon kit (the assumption being that the factor projectors accept D2R bulbs) and use the aftermarket ballasts and wiring by drilling through the dust cap?

Of course the halos are important too but is it not possible to easily (or somewhat) wire the LEDs using the existing DRL power source?

Naturally, the headlamp leveling won't function but I don't believe the aftermarket projectors have this feature.

Has this been done or attempted? Is this just not possible?
Probably way to much work for what u wanna do. Just buy aftermarket plug and play depo headlights.

Appreciate 0