F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > DEF consumption and regens
ARMA SPEED

12-07-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

DEF consumption and regens

I have a 2015 US spec 328d that I got CPO last year and I have a couple of questions.

First, how often do these cars regen? Is there a light that comes on when the regen takes place? My commute involves about 10 miles of freeway each way and sometimes we have longer runs across the Vegas valley.

Second, how much DEF should it use? I ask because it hasn't needed filling in over 12k miles. I don't have any of the clever apps to check the DEF level as I run a stoneage phone.

I'm wondering if the desert climate affects the above features. Humidity is typically under 20% and in the summer getting heat into the motor, cat and DPF are not a problem.

Longest run ever in the car was a 600 mile thrash to Long Beach and back. On the way back I ran at a cruise control indicated 80 all the way from Victorville to Vegas into a stiff headwind and over a 4700' pass. If that didn't clean out the cobwebs, nothing will. 45.7 mpg for the trip.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
I have a 2015 US spec 328d that I got CPO last year and I have a couple of questions.

First, how often do these cars regen? Is there a light that comes on when the regen takes place? My commute involves about 10 miles of freeway each way and sometimes we have longer runs across the Vegas valley.

Second, how much DEF should it use? I ask because it hasn't needed filling in over 12k miles. I don't have any of the clever apps to check the DEF level as I run a stoneage phone.
Climate doesn't affect it.

Not sure on 328d, but typically on the bigger motors it does a regen about every 500-600 miles. Probably similar on the 2L engine. Some people notice it if the coolant fan is still running when the engine is stopped, or by a drop in the instantaneous mileage gauge.

The tank capacity is set for refill every oil change, but your experience is not out of line - you can often go twice as long as that.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Climate doesn't affect it.

Not sure on 328d, but typically on the bigger motors it does a regen about every 500-600 miles. Probably similar on the 2L engine. Some people notice it if the coolant fan is still running when the engine is stopped, or by a drop in the instantaneous mileage gauge.

The tank capacity is set for refill every oil change, but your experience is not out of line - you can often go twice as long as that.
AHA!!! I've had the "fan running when i got home" thing twice. I thought it was a fault. Apparently not.

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 10:58 PM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post

I'm pretty certain a stock 328d won't go 500mi without a regen. Maybe 400mi. The fan doesn't always stay on when the car is shut off in the middle of a regen unless it's pretty hot out.

Aside from using a 3rd party monitoring app, there's no way to check for regens while driving.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 07:19 AM   #5
project_x
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328D F30

What are the best 3rd party monitoring apps for checking Def level and regens?

I've had my 2014 328d for 22k miles and just got my first call for Def refill
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #6
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

my 335d does around 250/350 miles on per regen, and I only do motorway miles.
As above theres no way to tell when the car is doing a regen as it doesn't affect the performance in any way.

I would say the mostly likely event with the fan running when you stop its probably the interrupted regen and the fan is cooling, but even at the that only the exhaust gets hot and not the engine itself.
A/C would be the primary reason why the fan sometimes runs after the engine is shut down as its cooling the condenser. ( heat exchanger)
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 11:53 AM   #7
Chukker
Mini Cooper, Present F15 Owner
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
AHA!!! I've had the "fan running when i got home" thing twice. I thought it was a fault. Apparently not.

Many thanks.
Ditto. The number of things I learn from going through these posts is incredible. Thanks to all for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 06:56 AM   #8
Manivxr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
my 335d does around 250/350 miles on per regen, and I only do motorway miles.
As above theres no way to tell when the car is doing a regen as it doesn't affect the performance in any way.

I would say the mostly likely event with the fan running when you stop its probably the interrupted regen and the fan is cooling, but even at the that only the exhaust gets hot and not the engine itself.
A/C would be the primary reason why the fan sometimes runs after the engine is shut down as its cooling the condenser. ( heat exchanger)
I find that the car exhaust sounds slightly deeper as the regen uses more fuel.
If you have an app which reads OBD, you ca check the catalyst temp, usually above 500c as it burns the soot.
Appreciate 0