F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Inner tail lights not working
proTUNING Freaks

09-18-2020, 06:44 PM   #1
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
I just noticed the other night that neither of my inner tail lights (LED bar parking lamps) are lighting up.

I looked back at some before and after videos I took when I swapped some bulbs to LEDs several months ago. In the first screen shot below, you can see the passenger side inner LED bars are illuminated but the driver side is not. This is BEFORE me having done anything at all with the lights.

In the second screen shot, both sides are out. That was after me only swapping the outer brake light bulbs and the turn signal bulbs, and I think the inner brake light bulbs.

Any ideas what might have happened? I don't think it has anything to do with coding since I only changed settings for the brake lights, turn signals and reverse lights. I didn't change anything on the actual tail lights. Could it be a fuse or wiring issue?

EDIT: sorry the pictures got flipped. The brighter pic is the "before" and the darker one is "after".
Attached Images

09-18-2020, 09:31 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Coding wouldn't affect the parking lamps because being factory LED there's nothing about them to code. If it was me I'd pull the lamps and bench test the LEDs, but that's easy for me to say, I'm an electrical engineer. You'll probably have to find a shop with a lighting expert.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 10:21 PM   #3
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Coding wouldn't affect the parking lamps because being factory LED there's nothing about them to code. If it was me I'd pull the lamps and bench test the LEDs, but that's easy for me to say, I'm an electrical engineer. You'll probably have to find a shop with a lighting expert.
Damn, so I'm guessing it probably isn't covered by the CPO warranty
      09-19-2020, 08:35 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The dealer isn't going to pull the lamps and do in depth testing of the LEDs to diagnose and potentially fix the problem. He'll more likely say 'they don't work, replace them'. However, when he sees the LEDS you installed he'll probably say that you somehow broke the tail lights when you put them in, so before taking the car to the dealer you need to put the old bulbs back in and restore the original coding.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #5
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

On my 135i the LED running light ring stopped working because the bulb that closes the circuit for it wasn't fully seated. Might try going back to oem bulbs and making sure everything is fully seated.
      09-19-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

That's a possibility, I've never looked at mine to see how the running lights are connected to the wiring. Looking at the diagrams in newtis.info it appears that the wiring connects to the bulb socket piece, which passes the current to the LED running lights, so if that connection isn't good that would explain their not working. The OP says the driver's side was AFU before he swapped in the LED bulbs.

Last edited by Billfitz; 09-19-2020 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0