F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Transfer Case Failures Database
proTUNING Freaks
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-20-2020, 08:35 PM   #221
328iX
David
328iX's Avatar
United_States
601
Rep
1,633
Posts

Drives: 2015 328iX F31
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Temecula, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittcrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittcrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post
Because everyone will eventually be out of warranty by the time it happens a second time.

Mine was replaced 2 months ago, does that mean I got the new guibo? Seems like nobody knows what's going on.

I'm pretty sure both of my failures have been the clutch pack slipping/skipping. I had codes for the tc saying it's at its end of service life.

On the diesels I know there was a water intrusion/rust issue.
Many were already out of warranty the first time around, so it doesn't matter if they'd be out of warranty, "the next time."
It does matter hence why I made my first comment.

I think most people catch it in warranty as well.
A recall covers the parts and labor to fix your car. The warranty status does not matter.
The dealership might try to say it's a different problem the second time it breaks, but that's a totally different argument.
Recalls are generally for safety related issues and they usually revise said parts. The TC is considered safety related due to possible loss of power. Or something as bad as the Takata airbag recall.

A warranty extension on the other hand or "voluntary recall" is where if the part so happens to fail it will be covered, but I don't really see revisions for those.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
At this point I don't even know what your argument is.
At first you seem to imply that BMW only wants to fix it under a recall 1 time and that the second time it fails, the owner will have to pay for it.
Then you try to explain what a recall actually is.
Please clarify your point.
My point is there's a difference between a safety defect recalls which are mandatory, voluntary recalls, and TSBs.

TC is a safety recall but I've yet to see the update in parts.

So as far as I know the TC is on a 40k replacement interval.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 09:52 PM   #222
Slick_FThirty
Private First Class
Slick_FThirty's Avatar
Canada
45
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

I have a 2013 328i Xdrive. Anything I can do to prevent transfer case? Based on previous owners records, the TC was replaced already at 20k km by the dealer.

How can I avoid this? Does the recall include me?
__________________
If you can imagine it, you can achieve it.
If you can dream it, you can become it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 10:12 PM   #223
Tim07e90
Captain
Tim07e90's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
866
Posts

Drives: 2007 E90 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [4.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittcrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittcrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post
Because everyone will eventually be out of warranty by the time it happens a second time.

Mine was replaced 2 months ago, does that mean I got the new guibo? Seems like nobody knows what's going on.

I'm pretty sure both of my failures have been the clutch pack slipping/skipping. I had codes for the tc saying it's at its end of service life.

On the diesels I know there was a water intrusion/rust issue.
Many were already out of warranty the first time around, so it doesn't matter if they'd be out of warranty, "the next time."
It does matter hence why I made my first comment.

I think most people catch it in warranty as well.
A recall covers the parts and labor to fix your car. The warranty status does not matter.
The dealership might try to say it's a different problem the second time it breaks, but that's a totally different argument.
Recalls are generally for safety related issues and they usually revise said parts. The TC is considered safety related due to possible loss of power. Or something as bad as the Takata airbag recall.

A warranty extension on the other hand or "voluntary recall" is where if the part so happens to fail it will be covered, but I don't really see revisions for those.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
At this point I don't even know what your argument is.
At first you seem to imply that BMW only wants to fix it under a recall 1 time and that the second time it fails, the owner will have to pay for it.
Then you try to explain what a recall actually is.
Please clarify your point.
My point is there's a difference between a safety defect recalls which are mandatory, voluntary recalls, and TSBs.

TC is a safety recall but I've yet to see the update in parts.

So as far as I know the TC is on a 40k replacement interval.
If you look on another thread the TC isn't the issue. It's the Guibo/CV joint is. That is the recall. Bmw will only replace the TC if the "older" defective guibo has damaged the TC. So unless the TC you had replaced had the old guibo, then you should go back and get the recall for the updated guibo.

I had my transfer case (with old guibo) replaced on Oct 2019. Recall came out in Mar 2020. Had my car taken in June 2020 for the new guibo (confirmed with new part number). Fought with BMW that the TC broke because of the old guibo. After some fight they agreed and sent me a check for $4k.

So to answer your question. It shouldn't break again if you have the newer guibo (yeah right?! Lol). Let's hope the new part will keep my TC in check for longer.
__________________
Performance Mods: ST Coilovers | R1 Concepts Premier Rotors w/Hawk HPS Pads | ECS Stainless Steel Brake Lines | OEM 219M Wheels | Bridgestone Potenza RE760 | Precision Euro Spacers | AA Race Headers | AFE Race Midpipes | Remus Powersound Quad Exhaust | AA Offroad Tune | RevMotoring Intake Pipe | Cyba Scoops
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 10:31 PM   #224
328iX
David
328iX's Avatar
United_States
601
Rep
1,633
Posts

Drives: 2015 328iX F31
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Temecula, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim07e90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittcrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittcrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post
Because everyone will eventually be out of warranty by the time it happens a second time.

Mine was replaced 2 months ago, does that mean I got the new guibo? Seems like nobody knows what's going on.

I'm pretty sure both of my failures have been the clutch pack slipping/skipping. I had codes for the tc saying it's at its end of service life.

On the diesels I know there was a water intrusion/rust issue.
Many were already out of warranty the first time around, so it doesn't matter if they'd be out of warranty, "the next time."
It does matter hence why I made my first comment.

I think most people catch it in warranty as well.
A recall covers the parts and labor to fix your car. The warranty status does not matter.
The dealership might try to say it's a different problem the second time it breaks, but that's a totally different argument.
Recalls are generally for safety related issues and they usually revise said parts. The TC is considered safety related due to possible loss of power. Or something as bad as the Takata airbag recall.

A warranty extension on the other hand or "voluntary recall" is where if the part so happens to fail it will be covered, but I don't really see revisions for those.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
At this point I don't even know what your argument is.
At first you seem to imply that BMW only wants to fix it under a recall 1 time and that the second time it fails, the owner will have to pay for it.
Then you try to explain what a recall actually is.
Please clarify your point.
My point is there's a difference between a safety defect recalls which are mandatory, voluntary recalls, and TSBs.

TC is a safety recall but I've yet to see the update in parts.

So as far as I know the TC is on a 40k replacement interval.
If you look on another thread the TC isn't the issue. It's the Guibo/CV joint is. That is the recall. Bmw will only replace the TC if the "older" defective guibo has damaged the TC. So unless the TC you had replaced had the old guibo, then you should go back and get the recall for the updated guibo.

I had my transfer case (with old guibo) replaced on Oct 2019. Recall came out in Mar 2020. Had my car taken in June 2020 for the new guibo (confirmed with new part number). Fought with BMW that the TC broke because of the old guibo. After some fight they agreed and sent me a check for $4k.

So to answer your question. It shouldn't break again if you have the newer guibo (yeah right?! Lol). Let's hope the new part will keep my TC in check for longer.
I got mine replaced 2 months ago so I hope I have it. Haven't looked through the paperwork.

I was told the failure was related to the clutch packs slipping or at end of service life even with 44k miles?

I do have a gas engine as well. I believe my last wagon, a diesel, was probably related to the guibo.

Who really knows I guess I'll find out down the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 08:40 AM   #225
Enabled
Captain
271
Rep
751
Posts

Drives: 328xd Wagon
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_FThirty View Post
I have a 2013 328i Xdrive. Anything I can do to prevent transfer case? Based on previous owners records, the TC was replaced already at 20k km by the dealer.

How can I avoid this? Does the recall include me?
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1579087
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2020, 09:03 AM   #226
Enabled
Captain
271
Rep
751
Posts

Drives: 328xd Wagon
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post
I got mine replaced 2 months ago so I hope I have it. Haven't looked through the paperwork.

I was told the failure was related to the clutch packs slipping or at end of service life even with 44k miles?

I do have a gas engine as well. I believe my last wagon, a diesel, was probably related to the guibo.

Who really knows I guess I'll find out down the road.

Worn clutches will simply throw codes, but will drive exactly the same.. meaning no front wheel actuation. There would be no weird symptoms.

It would drive exactly the same as coding out the front wheels with xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 10:15 AM   #227
328iX
David
328iX's Avatar
United_States
601
Rep
1,633
Posts

Drives: 2015 328iX F31
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Temecula, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post
I got mine replaced 2 months ago so I hope I have it. Haven't looked through the paperwork.

I was told the failure was related to the clutch packs slipping or at end of service life even with 44k miles?

I do have a gas engine as well. I believe my last wagon, a diesel, was probably related to the guibo.

Who really knows I guess I'll find out down the road.

Worn clutches will simply throw codes, but will drive exactly the same.. meaning no front wheel actuation. There would be no weird symptoms.

It would drive exactly the same as coding out the front wheels with xdrive.
And that's exactly what happened..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #228
Slick_FThirty
Private First Class
Slick_FThirty's Avatar
Canada
45
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

I was reviewing the notes on the TC repair. It was done on August 6 2015. Not sure what proximity this is in relation to the TIS that I have been hearing about.

In the notes, it said

"" removed and replaced new transfer case rubber bushing ""

Am I safe? Is this the rubber guibo? Guess I could just climb under the car.
__________________
If you can imagine it, you can achieve it.
If you can dream it, you can become it.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 04:05 PM   #229
Tim07e90
Captain
Tim07e90's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
866
Posts

Drives: 2007 E90 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [4.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_FThirty View Post
I was reviewing the notes on the TC repair. It was done on August 6 2015. Not sure what proximity this is in relation to the TIS that I have been hearing about.

In the notes, it said

"" removed and replaced new transfer case rubber bushing ""

Am I safe? Is this the rubber guibo? Guess I could just climb under the car.
I'm quite sure you have the old guibo. My TC was replaced in Oct 2019 and the guibo was the older part number. Only way to make sure is to check the guibo part number.
__________________
Performance Mods: ST Coilovers | R1 Concepts Premier Rotors w/Hawk HPS Pads | ECS Stainless Steel Brake Lines | OEM 219M Wheels | Bridgestone Potenza RE760 | Precision Euro Spacers | AA Race Headers | AFE Race Midpipes | Remus Powersound Quad Exhaust | AA Offroad Tune | RevMotoring Intake Pipe | Cyba Scoops
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 04:14 PM   #230
Slick_FThirty
Private First Class
Slick_FThirty's Avatar
Canada
45
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim07e90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_FThirty View Post
I was reviewing the notes on the TC repair. It was done on August 6 2015. Not sure what proximity this is in relation to the TIS that I have been hearing about.

In the notes, it said

"" removed and replaced new transfer case rubber bushing ""

Am I safe? Is this the rubber guibo? Guess I could just climb under the car.
I'm quite sure you have the old guibo. My TC was replaced in Oct 2019 and the guibo was the older part number. Only way to make sure is to check the guibo part number.
How visible is it? Do I just take off the panels and it should be obvious e.g. I should see a black component near the TC/drive shaft? Do I need to remove anything?

I just did my transmission pan, and while I was there, I do recall seeing what I saw as a dark hockey puck somewhere near the TC and attached to the drive shaft. But that was just a glance, and I could be wrong.

Also, how confident can we be that the rubber + loctite solves the problem?

Called the dealer and they said they don't have a parts list on the work order.
__________________
If you can imagine it, you can achieve it.
If you can dream it, you can become it.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 11:08 AM   #231
kdog_x
Second Lieutenant
129
Rep
293
Posts

Drives: 14 328d
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

If I remember right you should be able to see it after you remove the plastic splashguard under the trans. To replace it you need to drop the exhaust heat shields, because the driveshaft goes above them. But I think if you shine a flashlight over the top of the heat shield you should be able to see the guibo. It's right on the tail of the transmission.

It is either black rubber or gray aluminum, so the difference should be readily apparent.

I'm at almost 80k on TC #3 with the loctite. Still going strong for now! TC #1 was 55k, TC #2 only made it about 30k (this was a rebuild with flange only replacement though). If there's ever a fourth transfer case, I would definitely apply the loctite again.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #232
bringit
New Member
11
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 328d
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

I just got my car back from the dealer and they replaced:

1 26-11-7-610-061 UNIVERSAL JOINT WARRANTY
3 26-12-7-536-563 SELF-LOCKING HEX NU WARRANTY
3 26-11-7-635-643 HEX BOLT WARRANTY
1 33-12-7-607-158 REPAIR KIT INSERT N WARRANTY
1 18-30-8-632-361 MUFFLER CLAMP WARRANTY
1 27-10-7-546-667 SHAFT SEAL WARRANTY
1 27-10-7-599-326 O-RING WARRANTY
1 27-10-7-539-525 LOCK RING WARRANTY

J# 2 27BMZZ8020RC Replace flexible dis UNITS: TECH(S):554 WARRANTY
COMPLAINT: Replace flexible disc and check and if required replace tran
CAUSE: BULLETIN 0027100100 - 27 80 20RC
CORRECTION: Replace flexible disc and check and if required replace
tran. TRANSFER CASE OK. CONFIRMED WITH SHOP FOREMAN
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 12:57 PM   #233
CTMike
Private First Class
43
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 2011 E93 M3 // 2015 F31 328dX
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringit View Post
I just got my car back from the dealer and they replaced:

1 26-11-7-610-061 UNIVERSAL JOINT WARRANTY
3 26-12-7-536-563 SELF-LOCKING HEX NU WARRANTY
3 26-11-7-635-643 HEX BOLT WARRANTY
1 33-12-7-607-158 REPAIR KIT INSERT N WARRANTY
1 18-30-8-632-361 MUFFLER CLAMP WARRANTY
1 27-10-7-546-667 SHAFT SEAL WARRANTY
1 27-10-7-599-326 O-RING WARRANTY
1 27-10-7-539-525 LOCK RING WARRANTY

J# 2 27BMZZ8020RC Replace flexible dis UNITS: TECH(S):554 WARRANTY
COMPLAINT: Replace flexible disc and check and if required replace tran
CAUSE: BULLETIN 0027100100 - 27 80 20RC
CORRECTION: Replace flexible disc and check and if required replace
tran. TRANSFER CASE OK. CONFIRMED WITH SHOP FOREMAN
After all that, I'm not sure if I'd feel better or worse at not getting a new TC... good that yours didn't have signs of wear I guess?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #234
bringit
New Member
11
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 328d
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

My car has been driving great, I was actually hesitant to have them touch anything. If it ain't broke don't touch it. But, safety wise, after reading all the people with issues, I thought I should take it in just in case.

Same with that other recall I did recently with the EGR cooler one. They basically just inspected and replaced the O-Ring gasket. My car only has 88k Kms (56k miles), it's still in it's pre-teen stage.
Appreciate 1
CTMike43.00

      10-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #235
CTMike
Private First Class
43
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 2011 E93 M3 // 2015 F31 328dX
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Just got it back from the dealer... took 2 weeks since TC was on backorder. Everything seems to be in order and driving well.

-Inspect driveshaft guibo; has metal guibo
-Inspect flange, some play in flange and slight rust

1 26-11-7-610-061 Universal Joint
3 26-12-7-536-563 Self-Locking Hex Nut
3 26-11-7-635-643 Hex Bolt
3 26-11-7-527-475 Hex Bolt
1 18-30-8-632-361 Muffler Clamp
2 07-11-9-904-024 Hex Nut
4 26-11-7-529-387 Torx Screw With Ribs
1 27-10-7-649-725 RP Reman Transfer Box
1 22-31-6-861-324 Transmission Bearing Set


And for good measure since Check Engine light was on:
1 13-62-8-582-023 Diesel Particulate Sensor
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST