F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Hawk HPS 5.0 Review
GetBMWParts

03-12-2019, 01:17 AM   #1
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335ixdrive M Sport

Hawk HPS 5.0 Review

Hello all, I figured I would write up a review to help others with the tough decision of what brake pad to use. To start, I have the base 335i grey Brembo/Bosch set up. I originally had the OEM pads and rotors, but it was time for new pads, so I figured I would do rotors as well. As the title reveals, I chose Hawk Performances HPS 5.0 pad and paired them with Zimmerman blank rotors. I installed the set today and have done about 25 miles with them. Following Hawks recommended bedding procedure, the pads were properly “broken in”. I will list some features I believe were important to my decision on what pad to use in hopes that someone with the same questions I had will find this useful. I purchased these pads with spirited street/ daily driving use in mind. The car has not seen a track day or HPDE, and I do not have plans to attend either any time soon. If there is anything I am missing or any other questions about install or my opinion on this set up, please do not hesitate to ask.

Dust-
Since the pads have only been on for the day, I could not measure the amount of dust compared to OEM. I will Update in one week on the dust levels. I have black wheels so It will be an easy measure.

Noise-
After install there was a slight “friction” noise that could be heard in the cabin but has since subsided after the rotors zinc coating has worn off. Prior to bedding, the brakes made no noise. After the bedding procedure, the brakes began to squeal at lower speeds under light braking (slowing to a stop light from 10 mph to 0mph). When braking harder or at higher speeds, there is absolutely no noise. This may be due to the break in period. I will update as time goes on.

Pedal Feel-
Comparing the pedal feel to the worn OEM set up, there is a substantially better feel when considering pedal softness. The pedal feels much firmer than before and leaves you feeling more confident when pressing the brakes. Previously, the brake pedal felt borderline “squishy” but that is now gone. This could simply be due to the substantial amount of pad difference on all four corners, but I am pleased with it.

Braking-
As of right now the initial bite compared to OEM has decreased very minorly, but it is not a bad thing in my opinion. The brakes now feel more gradual, rather than jolting you. There feels like plenty of stopping power behind the brakes at the moment. Although I have not beat on them yet, the few miles I have driven have not made me disappointed. When testing the performance out on a “medium” level today, it felt to me as if these pads had better stopping power than OEM on the end of the braking distance. By this, I mean that after a while on a long-distance braking (applying medium pressure to the brakes to gradually slow you down from 65mph to 10mph) the OEM pads seemed to fade a bit, these did not feel that way.

Rotors-
The Zimmerman rotors felt like the same weight as OEM. The only different I noticed were the OEM rotors caps seemed to have rivets on them where as the Zimmerman’s appeared to be a single cast. I am not sure what difference this makes. The Zimmerman Rotors are also Zinc plated, I will monitor the amount of corrosion that forms on the hats as this is a known issue with the OEM rotors.

Other notes-
Driving in traffic was definitely smoother. The sudden bight of the OEM pad is gone making it easier to come to a complete stop or handle stop and go situations. There is still the jerkiness of the transmission, though that can be somewhat controlled through modulating the throttle. The initial bite was a big decision in my mind when I was looking at what pads to decide. Although I liked the initial bite, I have come to realize it has made for a rather unsettling ride. Where the OEM pads would have a great initial grip and fall off at the end, these seem to be the opposite by having less initial bite but following through with braking power all the way through the stop. While it has not even been 24 hours, I cannot give a complete overview of the pads at this point, just my initial thoughts. I will update in one week on any changes, and then in 1000 miles of use after that.

Part Numbers-
Front HPS 5.0 Performance Brake Pad Set: HB765B.664
Rear HPS 5.0 Performance Brake Pad Set: HB825B.649
Front Brake Rotors (340x30) – Pair: 34116792223ZKT
Rear Brake Rotors (330x20) – Pair: 34216864899ZKT

*Disclaimer*
I am no expert on braking, nor am I a professional mechanic. All of this above information is merely opinion, based off feel and not actual data. Please take into consideration that what I may feel is good braking, could feel like terrible braking to others. The same could be said with pedal firmness, noise, and dust. My opinions are solely based on street application and potential spirited driving situations. These pads are not recommended for track use.
Appreciate 8
      03-18-2019, 11:25 PM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK335iMSPT View Post
Hello all, I figured I would write up a review to help others with the tough decision of what brake pad to use. To start, I have the base 335i grey Brembo/Bosch set up. I originally had the OEM pads and rotors, but it was time for new pads, so I figured I would do rotors as well. As the title reveals, I chose Hawk Performances HPS 5.0 pad and paired them with Zimmerman blank rotors. I installed the set today and have done about 25 miles with them. Following Hawks recommended bedding procedure, the pads were properly “broken in”. I will list some features I believe were important to my decision on what pad to use in hopes that someone with the same questions I had will find this useful. I purchased these pads with spirited street/ daily driving use in mind. The car has not seen a track day or HPDE, and I do not have plans to attend either any time soon. If there is anything I am missing or any other questions about install or my opinion on this set up, please do not hesitate to ask.

Dust-
Since the pads have only been on for the day, I could not measure the amount of dust compared to OEM. I will Update in one week on the dust levels. I have black wheels so It will be an easy measure.

Noise-
After install there was a slight “friction” noise that could be heard in the cabin but has since subsided after the rotors zinc coating has worn off. Prior to bedding, the brakes made no noise. After the bedding procedure, the brakes began to squeal at lower speeds under light braking (slowing to a stop light from 10 mph to 0mph). When braking harder or at higher speeds, there is absolutely no noise. This may be due to the break in period. I will update as time goes on.

Pedal Feel-
Comparing the pedal feel to the worn OEM set up, there is a substantially better feel when considering pedal softness. The pedal feels much firmer than before and leaves you feeling more confident when pressing the brakes. Previously, the brake pedal felt borderline “squishy” but that is now gone. This could simply be due to the substantial amount of pad difference on all four corners, but I am pleased with it.

Braking-
As of right now the initial bite compared to OEM has decreased very minorly, but it is not a bad thing in my opinion. The brakes now feel more gradual, rather than jolting you. There feels like plenty of stopping power behind the brakes at the moment. Although I have not beat on them yet, the few miles I have driven have not made me disappointed. When testing the performance out on a “medium” level today, it felt to me as if these pads had better stopping power than OEM on the end of the braking distance. By this, I mean that after a while on a long-distance braking (applying medium pressure to the brakes to gradually slow you down from 65mph to 10mph) the OEM pads seemed to fade a bit, these did not feel that way.

Rotors-
The Zimmerman rotors felt like the same weight as OEM. The only different I noticed were the OEM rotors caps seemed to have rivets on them where as the Zimmerman’s appeared to be a single cast. I am not sure what difference this makes. The Zimmerman Rotors are also Zinc plated, I will monitor the amount of corrosion that forms on the hats as this is a known issue with the OEM rotors.

Other notes-
Driving in traffic was definitely smoother. The sudden bight of the OEM pad is gone making it easier to come to a complete stop or handle stop and go situations. There is still the jerkiness of the transmission, though that can be somewhat controlled through modulating the throttle. The initial bite was a big decision in my mind when I was looking at what pads to decide. Although I liked the initial bite, I have come to realize it has made for a rather unsettling ride. Where the OEM pads would have a great initial grip and fall off at the end, these seem to be the opposite by having less initial bite but following through with braking power all the way through the stop. While it has not even been 24 hours, I cannot give a complete overview of the pads at this point, just my initial thoughts. I will update in one week on any changes, and then in 1000 miles of use after that.

Part Numbers-
Front HPS 5.0 Performance Brake Pad Set: HB765B.664
Rear HPS 5.0 Performance Brake Pad Set: HB825B.649
Front Brake Rotors (340x30) – Pair: 34116792223ZKT
Rear Brake Rotors (330x20) – Pair: 34216864899ZKT

*Disclaimer*
I am no expert on braking, nor am I a professional mechanic. All of this above information is merely opinion, based off feel and not actual data. Please take into consideration that what I may feel is good braking, could feel like terrible braking to others. The same could be said with pedal firmness, noise, and dust. My opinions are solely based on street application and potential spirited driving situations. These pads are not recommended for track use.
Nice review. I've had my Hawk 5.0 pads on for over six months and I agree with what you said. I think that you will find that there is much less dust and also the dust isn't as sticky as with the stock pads so it cleans off much easier.
One of the reasons that I bought the Hawk 5.0's over other pads is that they heat up much quicker than most of the other aftermarket pads. Some of them claim low dust but brake poorly and take a long time to heat up. Usually first thing on a cold morning after stopping just 1-2 times, my Hawk 5.0's are right up to operating temperature and optimum braking.
I'd suggest that you change out your rubber hoses for stainless steel brake lines. I got StopTech for about $100 for the set. I've done this on a few cars. It makes the pedal responsiveness much more solid. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 3
      10-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #3
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

OP, which Zimmermann rotors did/do you have? The ones that are blank or that are slotted/dimpled?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
Jimmert
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i F36

Quote:
paired them with Zimmerman blank rotor
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 02:28 PM   #5
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrichierich View Post
OP, which Zimmermann rotors did/do you have? The ones that are blank or that are slotted/dimpled?
I used the blanks. I do not recommend Zimmerman if you are after a "clean" look. The Zimmermans functioned well and took hard braking like a champ but they formed a layer of brow/yellow ish rust even though they were zinc coated. This happened in the span of 3 months and by the time winter was done, they looked horrible for a "luxury car". I now use stoptech (centric) blank rotors with a black painted hat. I could not recommend them more, even though they are more money.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 06:13 PM   #6
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 11:09 PM   #7
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Hawk HPS 5.0 my second choice after akebono.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2020, 12:59 AM   #8
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Hawk HPS 5.0 my second choice after akebono.
What do you like more about the akebono? I've wanted to try other pads but have been content with these. I've thought about EBC red stuff too.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 05:45 PM   #9
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What do you like more about the akebono? I've wanted to try other pads but have been content with these. I've thought about EBC red stuff too.
it's been a long while that I had Hawk pads.... The best way to describe Akebono is that it is very similar to Hawk pads as reviewed on here minus less brake dust the last time I had them both but different cars. And yeah akebono comes with sensor in the box.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 05:51 PM   #10
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

So I bought Akebono OEM replacements for my base silver brake setup (Front part # EUR 1880 and rear part # EUR 1610) which worked great. Just as good as OEM without the dust. I have not tried them on the track or with any aggressive driving.

This setup is getting placed with M4 calipers, R1 Concepts Carbon Geomet slotted rotors and Hawks 5.0 pads. Looking for to this setup. The car is a daily driver but will see track events through the year. If the Hawks produce more than the Akebono, then I am going to switch back to them and keep the Hawks for track only. But I have seen a few people say they aren't great for track (depending on skill level and driving technique).
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2020, 06:09 PM   #11
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I bought Akebono OEM replacements for my base silver brake setup (Front part # EUR 1880 and rear part # EUR 1610) which worked great. Just as good as OEM without the dust. I have not tried them on the track or with any aggressive driving.

This setup is getting placed with M4 calipers, R1 Concepts Carbon Geomet slotted rotors and Hawks 5.0 pads. Looking for to this setup. The car is a daily driver but will see track events through the year. If the Hawks produce more than the Akebono, then I am going to switch back to them and keep the Hawks for track only. But I have seen a few people say they aren't great for track (depending on skill level and driving technique).
I 2nd them, both akebono and hawk 5.0 are not great on track.... Full track that is... But will satisfy your open track day but looking to push the limit... I would suggest looking for something else
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2020, 12:25 AM   #12
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Nice review. I've had my Hawk 5.0 pads on for over six months and I agree with what you said. I think that you will find that there is much less dust and also the dust isn't as sticky as with the stock pads so it cleans off much easier.
One of the reasons that I bought the Hawk 5.0's over other pads is that they heat up much quicker than most of the other aftermarket pads. Some of them claim low dust but brake poorly and take a long time to heat up. Usually first thing on a cold morning after stopping just 1-2 times, my Hawk 5.0's are right up to operating temperature and optimum braking.
I'd suggest that you change out your rubber hoses for stainless steel brake lines. I got StopTech for about $100 for the set. I've done this on a few cars. It makes the pedal responsiveness much more solid. Hope this helps.
I'm not so sure about that.

I installed stainless steel lines but when I cut open the older stock lines to inspect the lining, there's steel lining in there already.

Pedal feel is about the same to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 12:27 AM   #13
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:

Quote:
I 2nd them, both akebono and hawk 5.0 are not great on track.... Full track that is... But will satisfy your open track day but looking to push the limit... I would suggest looking for something else
Hawk 5.0 will not be enough for the track outside of the novice group.

You can get by with M3/M4 pads and stock powertrain. If you want to run back to back sessions or in the advanced group, you'll probably want more track oriented pads than even the M3/M4 pads.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 10:19 AM   #14
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post

You can get by with M3/M4 pads and stock powertrain. If you want to run back to back sessions or in the advanced group, you'll probably want more track oriented pads than even the M3/M4 pads.
I figured so but I wanted to try them first hand.

I will run whatever pads that produce less dust for daily (between Akebono and Hawk) and will most likely run Pagid pads for track days.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #15
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

Thank you for the detailed review, I am going to do mine this weekend. I am pairing them with Brembo's 2-piece rotors.

I also picked up some stainless steel lines from ECS this morning, they are having a 10% off on StopTech products, came out to be less than $100 before tax. Will change them if the pedal feels soft after the replacement.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #16
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK415 View Post
Thank you for the detailed review, I am going to do mine this weekend. I am pairing them with Brembo's 2-piece rotors.

I also picked up some stainless steel lines from ECS this morning, they are having a 10% off on StopTech products, came out to be less than $100 before tax. Will change them if the pedal feels soft after the replacement.
FYI- Stainless Steel Brake Lines are the type of mod that you don't realize that you had brake pedal mush until you install the new SS Lines and then it's gone.
Appreciate 1
AK415196.50
      10-16-2020, 02:13 PM   #17
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not so sure about that.

I installed stainless steel lines but when I cut open the older stock lines to inspect the lining, there's steel lining in there already.

Pedal feel is about the same to be honest.
FYI- that's just internal reinforcement. It's not the same as a heavy duty exterior that prevents the rubber hose from expanding first before the energy gets transferred to braking
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2020, 02:15 PM   #18
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Hawk 5.0 are street pads. Okay for a lap or two but definitely not designed for tracking
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2020, 02:20 PM   #19
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I figured so but I wanted to try them first hand.

I will run whatever pads that produce less dust for daily (between Akebono and Hawk) and will most likely run Pagid pads for track days.
A ceramic is always going to have less dust but that's it's only plus on the street. Otherwise no better than average while Hawk 5.0 bite is superior. I personally could never go back to an average street pad. Hawk dust is light and light in color. Nothing like the gobs of sticky black dust from stock pads.

Race pads are a whole different animal. Talk to Dave Zeckhausen at Zeckhausen Racing. He's a pad guru.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #20
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

Quote:
FYI- Stainless Steel Brake Lines are the type of mod that you don't realize that you had brake pedal mush until you install the new SS Lines and then it's gone.
Thank you for the head's up!

I will swap them once I order the fluids and pressure bleeder.
Appreciate 1
johnung4526.50
      10-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #21
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Quote:
A ceramic is always going to have less dust but that's it's only plus on the street. Otherwise no better than average while Hawk 5.0 bite is superior. I personally could never go back to an average street pad. Hawk dust is light and light in color. Nothing like the gobs of sticky black dust from stock pads.

Race pads are a whole different animal. Talk to Dave Zeckhausen at Zeckhausen Racing. He's a pad guru.
Not too familiar with race pads for cars but very familiar with them when I did club racing on motorcycles. And you're right, completely different type of feeling. Feels even better on racing slicks after getting into race pace

Amazon just delivered my Hawk pads. Just gotta wait for my rotors from R1 concepts to come in and I'll be set on my braking system!
Appreciate 1
johnung4526.50
      10-23-2020, 11:15 PM   #22
SlowF30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey 335i

I recently replaced my stock pads with Hawk 5.0s and I'm very happy with the out come. As the OP said, the pedal feels more linear then it did with stock pads and would recommend to anyone looking for a sportier street pad.
Appreciate 0