F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Returning Car To Trader
proTUNING Freaks

10-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #23
Bmwguy82
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335d

UPDATE:

Trader told me to take it to another BMW Independent for a second opinion. Booked in for early next week.

Also was offered money to get my front end of the car painted.. Just need to get quotes!

I've been really nice to the trader. We had a little dispute at the beginning but he is trying to help

Anyone had the vibrating issue before? The whirling/vibrating noise goes away when i turn the steering but comes back when i let go. The noise seems to be coming from the left side of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #24
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwguy82 View Post
UPDATE:

Trader told me to take it to another BMW Independent for a second opinion. Booked in for early next week.

Also was offered money to get my front end of the car painted.. Just need to get quotes!

I've been really nice to the trader. We had a little dispute at the beginning but he is trying to help

Anyone had the vibrating issue before? The whirling/vibrating noise goes away when i turn the steering but comes back when i let go. The noise seems to be coming from the left side of the engine.
Good news that you managed to engage on a friendly level. Let's hope you get the resolution you want.

No idea on the vibrating. That doesn't sound good. Can you get a video of it?
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #25
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Sounds like a decent dealer. Hopefully you'll come to a compromise on any work that needs doing.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 11:19 AM   #26
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
UPDATE:

Verbally or by email?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #27
vxtyrant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Quote:
UPDATE:

Best to keep him onside as much as possible as it’s in your interest to do so. Hope it gets sorted mate
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:32 PM   #28
Bmwguy82
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Good news that you managed to engage on a friendly level. Let's hope you get the resolution you want.

Il try get a video tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barsj111 View Post
Verbally or by email?
Verbally

I will keep you guys updated. Hope all this gets resolved!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 05:47 PM   #29
Bmwguy82
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post

I've uploaded it on OneDrive. The volume is a little low but you should be able to tell.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ai87B0mAORrKxy0K...-dWOy?e=caCIV5
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 03:29 AM   #30
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

It's difficult to be sure from that video but it sounds like it's just a bit more load on the engine when the steering wheel is turned which would be normal.

I'm assuming it's an electric rack so more load on the steering would pull more current from the alternator. If the alternator drive belt and / or tensioners were worn then that might explain it

You'd really need to have your head under the bonnet listening whilst someone turns the steering wheel to be sure though

It doesn't sound particularly bad (at least from that video) - you've bought a high mileage car so it's never going to be quite like new.

Sounds like the dealer is at least going to be reasonable getting the bodywork sorted

Lesson really is to never buy a car without having it properly inspected. However it's too late this time so concentrate on getting what you can from the dealer to reach an acceptable compromise.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 04:43 AM   #31
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

Also looks like its had either the Alpina or Xhp gearbox flash as well, not that that's a bad thing !
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 05:07 AM   #32
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Result.

RE: having thigns in writing - it's not a bad point, but you also need to keep him on side.

A way around this would be to ask for whatever quotes you get to be emailed to you. YOu can then forward them on to the trader with words along the lines of:

"Hi

As discussed the other day, please find attached the additional quotes you requested for the points raised on the car"
      10-22-2020, 05:09 AM   #33
Bmwguy82
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
Also looks like its had either the Alpina or Xhp gearbox flash as well, not that that's a bad thing !
I was going to ask this question in a separate thread.

My 435i used to drop a gear every time I put it in sport mode. In this car even if i put it in sport at 1100rpm it stays.. Doesn't drop any gears. Also I have to press the gas 3/4 before it decides to drop a gear which is different to my 435i gearbox.

Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 05:29 AM   #34
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
I was going to ask this question in a separate thread.

My 435i used to drop a gear every time I put it in sport mode. In this car even if i put it in sport at 1100rpm it stays.. Doesn't drop any gears. Also I have to press the gas 3/4 before it decides to drop a gear which is different to my 435i gearbox.

Is this normal?
In short, no.

Sport mode (console button) and D/S mode (gearshift to the left) should always put the auto transmission into a sport shift map - this typically ensures that the engine is in its power band. Even for the 30d/35d this is typically ~2000rpm.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 05:52 AM   #35
Bmwguy82
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
In short, no.

Sport mode (console button) and D/S mode (gearshift to the left) should always put the auto transmission into a sport shift map - this typically ensures that the engine is in its power band. Even for the 30d/35d this is typically ~2000rpm.
If I move the shifter to the left, it drops a gear. When i put it in sport mode (console button), It doesn't do anything but change the steering weight and pedal sensitivity.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 05:58 AM   #36
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
In short, no.

If I move the shifter to the left, it drops a gear. When i put it in sport mode (console button), It doesn't do anything but change the steering weight and pedal sensitivity.
Your sport mode setting in the iDrive will be configured to chassis only.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 06:26 AM   #37
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
That's normal, you need the stick to the left for the sport map.
The sport rocker button just changes the steering and pedal feel (and the suspension if you have adaptive and have it enabled in iDrive).
      10-22-2020, 07:09 AM   #38
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Sorry, my bad.

As per the following replies the Mode button on the centre console can be set to chassis only, or chassis and drivetrain.

Sounds like yours is set to the former.

If 'stick left' is shifting the AT to a lower ratio then at least that aspect appears to be working.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 07:10 AM   #39
Bmwguy82
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP77 View Post
Your sport mode setting in the iDrive will be configured to chassis only.
The settings are configured right. Just double checked.

I've got the mrs to take a picture so you can see what revs its sitting at.

My 435i used to drop a gear so it's in the right powerband just from the sport button. My friends f10 535d did the same. Can anyone with a 335d/330d comment on how theirs works?

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:16 AM   #40
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
whenever I used to switch to sports mode in my previous f series 335d it would drop a gear and you could see the rpm going up for a second before coming down.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:55 AM   #41
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

435d here. Drops a gear when rocker is switched to Sport mode.
Your picture shows ‘D5’ in the instrument cluster a sure sign of being non-standard (perhaps Alpina or xhp flash to the TCU).
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 09:01 AM   #42
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

It does seem likely that a gearbox map and even an engine map could be the problem here.

Did you drive any other 335d prior to buying this one? I suspect that the car you've bought has been altered a fair bit, definitely things coded as well since you have the digital speedo.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 09:38 AM   #43
Bmwguy82
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP77 View Post
It does seem likely that a gearbox map and even an engine map could be the problem here.

Did you drive any other 335d prior to buying this one? I suspect that the car you've bought has been altered a fair bit, definitely things coded as well since you have the digital speedo.
I test drove another 335d but I didn't play around with the sport button. Just pushed the shifter to left and used paddles.

Regarding remap, It doesn't feel any faster than the other 335d I drove. Must be the gearbox map.

Is it easy enough to flash gearbox back to factory?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 09:52 AM   #44
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

I generally start car and select sport straight away but from what I can remember if driving along and not got the throttle input or revs need to drop its stays where it is. This is with an Alpina gearbox flash. Not done much driving lately though so can't say for sure!
Appreciate 0