F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > USB/Bluetooth stopped working
ARMA SPEED

12-29-2019, 06:33 PM   #23
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30 N55 ( sold)

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpriest7893 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssea View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Have anyone of you seen an issue where the USB in the middle console stopped working and the BLUETOOTH just sits on the loading screen saying " please wait"?

My 335 has this issue and I have done everything possible to get information or try and fix it. My local bmw was no help either.

If I open Bluetooth it just says please wait. As if it's trying to connect and can not. I checked fuses, battery is new, re set I drive many times. Have not dine update on software but can not because the USB doesn't work.

Any info would be awesome
I just bought a 2011 bmw 328i with i drive & I'm having the same exact problem and can't seem to find the solution anywhere online at all. Have you figured it out? please keep updated if u can
Hey man, no I have not. Today when I get home I am going to check all the " MOST" connectors in the car to see if they're lit up which if you don't know what that is with our car if one connection is bad it cancels the rest. Like a fiber optic signal. If I can't figure it out there's a local shop that specializes in bmw that I am going to try. I know if I go to bmw they will just tell me I need a new unit because there lazy and just want the money. I will fill you in and make a YouTube video because I have seen so many people with the same problem it's crazy
Thankyou man! It would be very much appreciated! & if I happen to somehow figure it out myself I'll let you know asap!
Sounds good. I just checked in the trunk I have a combox and if I pull the black plug on the right side it's lit in red. In the trunk too the left if you pull up the plastic consortmejt there's a plug that goes into the amp and when I pull the combox out that plug isn't lit which tells me it's not working
That's how you intelligently troubleshoot the situation.
Yes I figured this out from watching a YouTube video that I dug up. I'm ordering the loop off amazon it's like $13 for the male and female. I pulled the compartment under the steering wheel and tomorrow pulling the glove box panel out to check under those so I can pull all those plugs and figure out which one is losing connection and see if this loop this works. My last thing before I take it to a local shop to let them mess with it. A lot of people that have had the problem have software updates and it did nothing so I know it's gotta be one of these signals
Stock intake(had open before and was sick of noise)
BMS CP
550i 351m rims with 275/245 set up.
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 06:52 PM   #24
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Have anyone of you seen an issue where the USB in the middle console stopped working and the BLUETOOTH just sits on the loading screen saying " please wait"?

My 335 has this issue and I have done everything possible to get information or try and fix it. My local bmw was no help either.

If I open Bluetooth it just says please wait. As if it's trying to connect and can not. I checked fuses, battery is new, re set I drive many times. Have not dine update on software but can not because the USB doesn't work.

I just bought a 2011 bmw 328i with i drive & I'm having the same exact problem and can't seem to find the solution anywhere online at all. Have you figured it out? please keep updated if u can
Hey man, no I have not. Today when I get home I am going to check all the " MOST" connectors in the car to see if they're lit up which if you don't know what that is with our car if one connection is bad it cancels the rest. Like a fiber optic signal. If I can't figure it out there's a local shop that specializes in bmw that I am going to try. I know if I go to bmw they will just tell me I need a new unit because there lazy and just want the money. I will fill you in and make a YouTube video because I have seen so many people with the same problem it's crazy
Thankyou man! It would be very much appreciated! & if I happen to somehow figure it out myself I'll let you know asap!
Sounds good. I just checked in the trunk I have a combox and if I pull the black plug on the right side it's lit in red. In the trunk too the left if you pull up the plastic consortmejt there's a plug that goes into the amp and when I pull the combox out that plug isn't lit which tells me it's not working
Yes I figured this out from watching a YouTube video that I dug up. I'm ordering the loop off amazon it's like $13 for the male and female. I pulled the compartment under the steering wheel and tomorrow pulling the glove box panel out to check under those so I can pull all those plugs and figure out which one is losing connection and see if this loop this works. My last thing before I take it to a local shop to let them mess with it. A lot of people that have had the problem have software updates and it did nothing so I know it's gotta be one of these signals
As can be seen here, the combox > video module > amp

If you do not have a light in the MOST fiber flowing towards the AMP, the problem is upstream.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-02-2020, 06:20 PM   #25
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you do not have a light in the MOST fiber flowing towards the AMP, the problem is upstream.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

According to my local BMW they said it's my combox internal failure and quoted me like 1100 too fix it. My car has 900 miles left on the warranty so there going to call and set it up to get it all handled.. good thing I bought that 3rd party warranty lol
BMS CP
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 2
IK6SPEED4479.50
Ssea0.00
      01-03-2020, 07:54 AM   #26
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

According to my local BMW they said it's my combox internal failure and quoted me like 1100 too fix it. My car has 900 miles left on the warranty so there going to call and set it up to get it all handled.. good thing I bought that 3rd party warranty lol
Actually that is great timing.

The replacement should work with 4G where your original would have dies next year (unless you have a 2013 with 2G that doesn't operate now).
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 05:48 PM   #27
ge0123
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i

Bluetooth stopped working out of no where

As previous owners have expressed their Bluetooth has stopped working and this is what my idrive shows. Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 04:36 PM   #28
S6K
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVL_F30 View Post
Had this happen to my car today, but it is accompanied by an intermittent clicking sound from behind the dash (radio/nav area.)

I have tried resetting, unplugged the battery, etc. Any other thoughts here?
This is exactly what my car is doing..... did anyone find a solution? Did you have to replace Idrive unit?

| 2020 X3M | 2015 335 | IG & YT: @straight6kris |
335 Build Thread: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4#post27268174
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 02:55 PM   #29
Ramboo
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 & F15

bluetooth failure F30

Just upgraded to a new iPhone with the new ios 14 and both my bluetooth and usb cable stopped working; tried lots of thing i.e. updating the iDrive software, reboot, changing the cable, etc none actually worked.

Lastly, decided to delete the BMW connect app on my phone and everything started working. I would still recommend updating your iDrive software if there is one available at https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html for you VIN.

I have a 2015 328i Lux North America
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 08:34 AM   #30
Black f30
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Had this happen to my car today, but it is accompanied by an intermittent clicking sound from behind the dash (radio/nav area.)

Quote:

Did you end up finding a solution?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 02:53 PM   #31
spencerguenther
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d

So I found a solution that worked for me 100%. Been struggling with it for years and finally it works every single time as it should. It was working fine on my Samsung S7, but when I got a Pixel 4a 5G it would sometimes connect, but if it did, it lasted for about 2 songs before it totally glitched and sometimes even rebooted the iDrive. Made an account just so I could share this as it was driving me crazy and I have to have things perfect...

It would appear that BMW uses some registers in the bluetooth code that were previously unused by the bluetooth AVRCP version that was out when the BMWs were made. As more recent versions of the AVRCP were released, it clashed with some of the coding in the BMW, toggling all kinds of wrong 0's and 1's, and causing havoc with the bluetooth when doing something as simple as connecting to the car. My solution (will vary by phone, may not be possible with iPhone), is to revert the AVRCP version back to at least 1.3 (they are up to 1.6 now). for Pixel:

-Enable developer mode by tapping the 'About phone' 7 times
-Open 'Developer Options'
-Scroll down to 'Bluetooth AVRCP version' and change to 1.3

Simple as that, if you're having issues like I was, stop talking to BMW or the phone manufacturer because they have no idea what they are talking about and will never address the issue because it would mean remapping all the bluetooth coding which would probably brick a lot of other devices out there. Created an account today because I felt I needed to share the info with others that were having these problems, most forums have closed the topics relating to this so I cannot add this. Hope it helps you all.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 04:21 AM   #32
fjk80
Rep
Drives: 2016 Bmw x435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge0123 View Post
As previous owners have expressed their Bluetooth has stopped working and this is what my idrive shows. Any suggestions?
Hi, I have exactly the same issue with my iDrive. The Bluetooth and navigation got stuck in loading but never load and the usp is disabled so I can’t update the software. I know this post is for a while ago. Did you guys find a solution to this issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 04:26 AM   #33
fjk80
Rep

Quote:

Hi, I have exactly the same issue with my iDrive. The Bluetooth and navigation got stuck in loading but never load and the usp is disabled so I can’t update the software. I know this post is for a while ago. Did you find a solution to this issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 04:29 AM   #34
fjk80
Rep

Quote:
I’m having same issue and nothing helps. The local bmw says the head unit has to be replaced but I’m sure it’s a small issue as it was working perfectly earlier this week. Any help is much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 07:45 AM   #35
twisteddiana
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 35i F26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerguenther View Post
So I found a solution that worked for me 100%. Been struggling with it for years and finally it works every single time as it should. It was working fine on my Samsung S7, but when I got a Pixel 4a 5G it would sometimes connect, but if it did, it lasted for about 2 songs before it totally glitched and sometimes even rebooted the iDrive. Made an account just so I could share this as it was driving me crazy and I have to have things perfect...

It would appear that BMW uses some registers in the bluetooth code that were previously unused by the bluetooth AVRCP version that was out when the BMWs were made. As more recent versions of the AVRCP were released, it clashed with some of the coding in the BMW, toggling all kinds of wrong 0's and 1's, and causing havoc with the bluetooth when doing something as simple as connecting to the car. My solution (will vary by phone, may not be possible with iPhone), is to revert the AVRCP version back to at least 1.3 (they are up to 1.6 now). for Pixel:

-Enable developer mode by tapping the 'About phone' 7 times
-Open 'Developer Options'
-Scroll down to 'Bluetooth AVRCP version' and change to 1.3

Simple as that, if you're having issues like I was, stop talking to BMW or the phone manufacturer because they have no idea what they are talking about and will never address the issue because it would mean remapping all the bluetooth coding which would probably brick a lot of other devices out there. Created an account today because I felt I needed to share the info with others that were having these problems, most forums have closed the topics relating to this so I cannot add this. Hope it helps you all.
OMG TY TY TY
This seemed to work for me! I have had zero disconnects since I made this change!
One thing to note, I had to restart the phone before the change was obvious.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 05:11 PM   #36
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjk80 View Post
Quote:
I'm having same issue and nothing helps. The local bmw says the head unit has to be replaced but I'm sure it's a small issue as it was working perfectly earlier this week. Any help is much appreciated

Hello, I ended up buying a used COM box on eBay for $25 it was completely plug-and-play, no coding, yeah the same part number of the COM box I was in my trunk with the telly unit and all I did was literally plug it in and all of my problems are fixed
BMS CP
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 11:52 AM   #37
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Hi, I have exactly the same issue with my iDrive. The Bluetooth and navigation got stuck in loading but never load and the usp is disabled so I can't update the software. I know this post is for a while ago. Did you find a solution to this issue?

Hello, I ended up buying a used COM box on eBay for $25 it was completely plug-and-play, no coding, yeah the same part number of the COM box I was in my trunk with the telly unit and all I did was literally plug it in and all of my problems are fixed
BMS CP
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 09:01 PM   #38
fjk80
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your response. Did you disconnect the battery before replacing the combox or just unplugged the old one and plugged in the new one?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 09:05 PM   #39
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks a lot for your response. Did you disconnect the battery before replacing the combox or just unplugged the old one and plugged in the new one?
I am pretty sure I just plugged it in lol. Your suppose to typically un plug the battery but I did not.

The combox I had the telematics unit was just fried some how. The telephone wouldn't work, Bluetooth wouldn't work, radio and NAV was fine. Anytime I went to Bluetooth or phone menu it just said please wait and kept spinning. I just bought the same combox made sure the part number was the same and made sure in the picture it had all the same plugs and just threw it in. I went like two years searching too fix that stupid problem and was so relieved when I fixed it. I drive a lot and needed the Bluetooth for calls, hope your able to figure it out. Give it a try!
BMS CP
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 02:21 AM   #40
fjk80
Rep

Quote:
I am pretty sure I just plugged it in lol. Your suppose to typically un plug the battery but I did not.

The combox I had the telematics unit was just fried some how. The telephone wouldn't work, Bluetooth wouldn't work, radio and NAV was fine. Anytime I went to Bluetooth or phone menu it just said please wait and kept spinning. I just bought the same combox made sure the part number was the same and made sure in the picture it had all the same plugs and just threw it in. I went like two years searching too fix that stupid problem and was so relieved when I fixed it. I drive a lot and needed the Bluetooth for calls, hope your able to figure it out. Give it a try!
Yeah, I have exactly same problem. My radio and phone calls are fine but music over Bluetooth, usb and navigation just got stuck on loading… I’ll have to get the part number from the combox and search on ebay. Mine is a 2016 x4 f26. Hopefully I can find a working used one at a reasonable price too. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 04:44 PM   #41
KingslyJose
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 BMW 328i

Quote:
Yeah, I have exactly same problem. My radio and phone calls are fine but music over Bluetooth, usb and navigation just got stuck on loading… I’ll have to get the part number from the combox and search on ebay. Mine is a 2016 x4 f26. Hopefully I can find a working used one at a reasonable price too. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks again
Hey, we’re you able to fix the problem this way? I have the same exact problem at you so I’m tryna just see what remedies are out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 02:34 AM   #42
fjk80
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingslyJose View Post
Hey, we’re you able to fix the problem this way? I have the same exact problem at you so I’m tryna just see what remedies are out there.
I bought a combox with similar part number from ebay and replaced the existing one but it didn’t solve any of the problems so I ended up putting the oem one back. I have scheduled an appointment to take the car to bmw dealership this Wednesday. I’ll keep you posted if the problem is fixed.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 02:39 AM   #43
fjk80
Rep

Quote:

So I tried this solution but it didn’t work and the Bluetooth, usb and navigation are still stuck on loading… do you or other guys on this forum have any suggestions for what to do next? Could it be a blown fuse or broken wire? Any one knows which fuse numbers are related to the combox? I’ll probably take it to dealership.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 06:46 PM   #44
fjk80
Rep

Hello all,
So I took the car to dealership and they are telling me that the Bluetooth and navigation and usb are disabled because of a bmw firmware update and bmw has stopped giving those services to certain 2013 to 2016 bmw F25,F26,F30 etc… models. I know bmw has stopped giving connected drive services to the cars with 3g combox but it doesn’t make any sense for bmw to disable the Bluetooth and usb module inside the car without my authorization! Do you guys have any idea what can be done here? Have you seen anyone else havin similar issue?
Appreciate 0