F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Transmission not parked warning?
proTUNING Freaks

12-13-2017, 11:44 PM   #1
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Black 330i xDrive

Garage List
Transmission not parked warning?

First of all, this is the first big snow storm we've had since I've got my new BMW and I must say that the xDrive is amazing. I was getting more traction than some trucks on the road.

However, after work I decided to try some donuts since the snow was not plowed yet. *Keep in mind the car was warmed up for a good 20-25 minutes before attempting*. I put it in Sport+ and ripped some donuts and it was fun and then all of a sudden at the end of a donut, the dash error "Transmission not parked". I pressed park and got the shifter in park and then you couldn't put in drive or reverse or do anything. I fixed the issue by shutting the car off and turning it back on and drove home and all is well. Never had this happen in any car and wondering what it is? Is it some type of safety feature, or did the transmission just slip or something?
      12-14-2017, 09:45 PM   #2
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Definitely interesting, never happened to me though.

Did your car come naturally with SAT or did you VO code it? Sounds like something would happen when you open the door when in reverse or drive and start to go.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2017, 09:50 PM   #3
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanKM View Post
Definitely interesting, never happened to me though.

Did your car come naturally with SAT or did you VO code it? Sounds like something would happen when you open the door when in reverse or drive and start to go.
I VO coded in my SAT. It was definitely interesting. Next big snow, I'm gonna try it again and see if it happens again.
      12-16-2017, 02:55 AM   #4
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

I'm sorry, but I read this thread as

"Hi, I decided to play around like an idiot, putting loads of heat into the differential and gearbox, and then got dash warnings about it"
"Next time I get snow, I'm going to try again. Wonder what will happen ?".

Whilst the car is designed to take use and (some) abuse, it is not designed for that sort of thing. Cars that are modified for that have big oil coolers for the gearbox and diff, uprated parts, etc.

Want to break your car and wind up with a huge bill ? You're going the right way about it.
Appreciate 2
      12-16-2017, 09:51 AM   #5
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
I'm sorry, but I read this thread as

"Hi, I decided to play around like an idiot, putting loads of heat into the differential and gearbox, and then got dash warnings about it"
"Next time I get snow, I'm going to try again. Wonder what will happen ?".

Whilst the car is designed to take use and (some) abuse, it is not designed for that sort of thing. Cars that are modified for that have big oil coolers for the gearbox and diff, uprated parts, etc.

Want to break your car and wind up with a huge bill ? You're going the right way about it.
I've done donuts in piece of shit cars and I'm not trying to be a professional drifter or something lmfao. Plus I'm covered under warranty so my transmission would be fully covered, that's not the point though. If you break any transmission from a couple donuts, that tranny is garbage.
      12-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Figueroa View Post
I've done donuts in piece of shit cars and I'm not trying to be a professional drifter or something lmfao. Plus I'm covered under warranty so my transmission would be fully covered, that's not the point though. If you break any transmission from a couple donuts, that tranny is garbage.
Really. You've done doughnuts before in AWD cars ?

You can do it absolutely fine in RWD cars. But do it in AWD ones, and you will be putting huge stresses onto the centre diff. Which may then break. Remember that BMW can interrogate the ECU if that does happen, and it will tell them roughly what was happening when the failure happened.

Customer stupidity / deliberate abuse of the car (another example would be driving the car in a low gear, bouncing off the rev limiter) will almost certainly invalidate your warranty.

But hey. You're an expert, and knew all that stuff about wrecking centre diffs on AWD cars before, didn't you ?
Appreciate 2
      12-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #7
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Really. You've done doughnuts before in AWD cars ?

You can do it absolutely fine in RWD cars. But do it in AWD ones, and you will be putting huge stresses onto the centre diff. Which may then break. Remember that BMW can interrogate the ECU if that does happen, and it will tell them roughly what was happening when the failure happened.

Customer stupidity / deliberate abuse of the car (another example would be driving the car in a low gear, bouncing off the rev limiter) will almost certainly invalidate your warranty.

But hey. You're an expert, and knew all that stuff about wrecking centre diffs on AWD cars before, didn't you ?
I've only done it a few awd cars. Also I could say that the car spun out in the show and I was trying to get it out. There would be no way for them to prove anything. If you're not going to give helpful insight, then your comments aren't needed.
      12-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I've only done it a few awd cars. Also I could say that the car spun out in the show and I was trying to get it out. There would be no way for them to prove anything. If you're not going to give helpful insight, then your comments aren't needed.
But you don't need helpful insights. You are an expert. Hell, you've done this loads of times, and according to you, if it breaks something then it's a 'garbage' transmission.
But (as I've already pointed out to you) it's the centre diff that's getting really overheated here, and at risk of breaking.

Of course, you already knew about all that though. Because you're an expert who doesn't need comments unless they agree with you.

Also, correcting a car that had spun out in the snow, compared to ragging the arse off it doing doughnuts is completely different.
If you think that BMW wouldn't be able to tell the difference by interrogating ECU data, then you need to get a bit of reality.
Something breaks, all the data about the incident and leading up to it is stored on the on-board systems. The dealer can send that data to BMW Germany, and they can tell what was happening and re-create it virtually.

You asked what caused the problem.
I told you the answer.

It's the centre diff that is getting loads of abuse that it isn't designed to take.

Do it repeatedly, and you WILL break something. Depending on the dealer and whether they send data to BMW AG, you may then have a big bill to show for it, or it may get fixed under warranty. Remember, your warranty only covers normal use.
BMW USA state that they do not cover damage from "improper operation of the vehicle".

Hell, it's your motor. Go for it. I enjoy a laugh.
Appreciate 2
      12-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #9
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
But you don't need helpful insights. You are an expert. Hell, you've done this loads of times, and according to you, if it breaks something then it's a 'garbage' transmission.
But (as I've already pointed out to you) it's the centre diff that's getting really overheated here, and at risk of breaking.

Of course, you already knew about all that though. Because you're an expert who doesn't need comments unless they agree with you.

Also, correcting a car that had spun out in the snow, compared to ragging the arse off it doing doughnuts is completely different.
If you think that BMW wouldn't be able to tell the difference by interrogating ECU data, then you need to get a bit of reality.
Something breaks, all the data about the incident and leading up to it is stored on the on-board systems. The dealer can send that data to BMW Germany, and they can tell what was happening and re-create it virtually.

You asked what caused the problem.
I told you the answer.

It's the centre diff that is getting loads of abuse that it isn't designed to take.

Do it repeatedly, and you WILL break something. Depending on the dealer and whether they send data to BMW AG, you may then have a big bill to show for it, or it may get fixed under warranty. Remember, your warranty only covers normal use.
BMW USA state that they do not cover damage from "improper operation of the vehicle".

Hell, it's your motor. Go for it. I enjoy a laugh.
I'm not an expert. I just don't appreciate your criticism and i don't why you act like I'm the first person to do it. If BMW couldn't handle the stress of a donut in snow then why would they produce an official instructional video on how to drift on wet concrete (way more friction than snow)?

12-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #10
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm not an expert. I just don't appreciate your criticism and i don't why you act like I'm the first person to do it. If BMW couldn't handle the stress of a donut in snow then why would they produce an official instructional video on how to drift on wet concrete (way more friction than snow)?
[/url]
Ok. The car he is driving is a rear wheel drive M4, and he's got all the driver aids switched off.

Your car is AWD. So your car has a differential that is constantly trying to send power to all 4 wheels. Whilst you can switch off DSC, etc. you can't switch off the AWD.
When you are doughnutting in your car, the centre diff can't get power down to those front wheels, so that differential slips. That causes lots of heat, and eventually the differential internals get above what BMW have defined as a safe working temperature. So you start getting faults.

I've already told you all this.

But you don't seem to want to listen.
Or maybe it's a lack of being able to listen.

I'm not sure which.

Whatever. I've explained why it's a stupid idea to do this in a AWD car. You don't agree. Go for it.
Appreciate 2
      12-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #11
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
[/url]
Ok. The car he is driving is a rear wheel drive M4, and he's got all the driver aids switched off.

Your car is AWD. So your car has a differential that is constantly trying to send power to all 4 wheels. Whilst you can switch off DSC, etc. you can't switch off the AWD.
When you are doughnutting in your car, the centre diff can't get power down to those front wheels, so that differential slips. That causes lots of heat, and eventually the differential internals get above what BMW have defined as a safe working temperature. So you start getting faults.

I've already told you all this.

But you don't seem to want to listen.
Or maybe it's a lack of being able to listen.

I'm not sure which.

Whatever. I've explained why it's a stupid idea to do this in a AWD car. You don't agree. Go for it.
I do understand your concept but I just have a hard time believing that BMW would put so little efforts into there AWD systems. After all, the main reason AWD was implemented in any car was for better off road use and bad weather conditions. I would think a name so big in the performance industry would build parts that can handle a beating. It would be unrealistic for BMW to make a car assuming that it would never be competitor racing or rough terrain with slippage, especially considering the competitive Audi Quattro System and even a higher performance car such as a Nissan GTR with the same AWD systems are able to handle the stress of these activities.

I'm not trying to be rude and I do appreciate your input. I really hope you're not right though, otherwise I'd be very disappointed in the lack of thought and development that goes into such a well know AWD system. Also, I am talking about 3-4 donuts or even just wide slides, not trying to hold a donut for minutes.

I think it could be a electronic connection or something got triggered by accident. I did more donuts a couple days after and it didn't happen again.
      12-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #12
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
I do understand your concept but I just have a hard time believing that BMW would put so little efforts into there AWD systems.
Haha, have you read threads about the center diff in these cars!?! It's a known weak POS. There's even a thread in this very forum on how to replace the commonly worn parts in it.
      12-17-2017, 10:14 AM   #13
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnecr View Post
Quote:
I do understand your concept but I just have a hard time believing that BMW would put so little efforts into there AWD systems.
Haha, have you read threads about the center diff in these cars!?! It's a known weak POS. There's even a thread in this very forum on how to replace the commonly worn parts in it.
Figures :/ that sucks!
      12-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #14
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

The centre diff isn't a POS. Over here, we get the 335d XDrive - 313 hp, 0-60 in sub-5 seconds. Lots of them run to 100k+ miles, and whilst there have been a few reports of problems, there aren't many at all.

Abuse it, and you shorten the lifespan. Use, not (ab-)use, and there's no reason it'll fail.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #15
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The centre diff isn't a POS. Over here, we get the 335d XDrive - 313 hp, 0-60 in sub-5 seconds. Lots of them run to 100k+ miles, and whilst there have been a few reports of problems, there aren't many at all.

Abuse it, and you shorten the lifespan. Use, not (ab-)use, and there's no reason it'll fail.
You're missing the point. BMW is know high end luxury sports cars. They are priced that way too. Their parts and cars should hold up under extreme circumstances and heavy abuse. If I want a mediocre car with weak parts I would have got another some mediocre Chinese import.
      12-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #16
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You're missing the point. BMW is know high end luxury sports cars. They are priced that way too. Their parts and cars should hold up under extreme circumstances and heavy abuse. If I want a mediocre car with weak parts I would have got another some mediocre Chinese import.

To expect a standard saloon car - even a premium brand - to stand up to heavy abuse without something failing is just nuts.

You want the out-and-out performance variant, you pay the money and buy the M3, with it's trick carbon-fibre limited-slip diff and RWD.

You bought a bog-standard (if nice to be in) moderately quick diesel saloon car, not some racing machine.

Your expectations are completely unrealistic.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2017, 02:24 AM   #17
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

To expect a standard saloon car - even a premium brand - to stand up to heavy abuse without something failing is just nuts.

You want the out-and-out performance variant, you pay the money and buy the M3, with it's trick carbon-fibre limited-slip diff and RWD.

You bought a bog-standard (if nice to be in) moderately quick diesel saloon car, not some racing machine.

Your expectations are completely unrealistic.
Here's another brand new ad by BMW showing off how well the AWD can handle simple donuts. This should shut down the debate on whether AWD can drift or do donuts. If the center diff is flawed in the F30 it should be recalled and fixed. They design xDrive for peak performance M5 or not!

01-01-2018, 11:08 AM   #18
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Again, this is a proper M car. With it's carbon-fibre, racing spec differential, and way more tech than your bog-standard diesel saloon.

The new M5 is AWD, yes. But it also has a process where you can turn off - fully - the AWD, and make it RWD only.

Finally, you are comparing your driving to that of real, proper experts. People who actually know what they are doing.

I suspect there are a number of flaws in your assumptions.
Appreciate 0