F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M Sport Package Options
proTUNING Freaks

03-25-2019, 10:40 PM   #1
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
M Sport Package Options

Hey Team,

My car has M Sport suspension which I know upgrades the suspension.

I think it even makes it adjustable when I move the car between econ, comfort, sport and sport track settings? Need to confirm that.

My question is how hard is it to lower the car, or is it all done by the adaptive suspension and computers already?

Thanks

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 11:52 PM   #2
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Its going to be no more difficult to lower your car than a non M Sport. You just need to make sure you purchase parts specifically for your set up.

You may or may not have active dampening with your M Sport. They come both ways. Easiest way to tell is look into the wheel well and see if there is a wire going directly into each shock.
Appreciate 1
VP_5675.50
      03-26-2019, 12:55 AM   #3
bmwchue
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post
Hey Team,

My car has M Sport suspension which I know upgrades the suspension.

I think it even makes it adjustable when I move the car between econ, comfort, sport and sport track settings? Need to confirm that.

My question is how hard is it to lower the car, or is it all done by the adaptive suspension and computers already?

Thanks
google bmw vin decoder. youll type in your last 7 number of your vin and it will list all the stuff that comes equipped with the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwchue View Post
google bmw vin decoder. youll type in your last 7 number of your vin and it will list all the stuff that comes equipped with the car.
I've tried many times- I understand the concept however I cannot find a decoder that gets that particular with the details it provides.

This one seems to be the most descriptive, but it still doesn't mention suspension:
https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/f140235

Thanks

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually I found a little better looking one- but it still doesnt seem to mention suspension options:
https://bimmercat.com/bmw/decode_vin...F140235_EN.pdf

I really meant to buy a car with the computer controlled suspension and will be very upset I got one without it.

I know I have the oil cooler atleast! but got screwed on the PWG/EWG haha

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Its going to be no more difficult to lower your car than a non M Sport. You just need to make sure you purchase parts specifically for your set up.

You may or may not have active dampening with your M Sport. They come both ways. Easiest way to tell is look into the wheel well and see if there is a wire going directly into each shock.
2VF is the option code for M Adaptive suspension. The suggestion to examine the wire going to the shock is the most practical method to verify if your vehicle has M Adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2019, 04:12 PM   #7
bmwchue
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Actually I found a little better looking one- but it still doesnt seem to mention suspension options:

I really meant to buy a car with the computer controlled suspension and will be very upset I got one without it.

good luck its very hard to find one with an adaptive suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 04:16 PM   #8
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good thing I set my budget very tight on my first bmw purchase- so many combinations of options and features. Oh well.

Assuming it doesn't have adaptive, lowering springs will do?

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 07:39 PM   #9
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good thing I set my budget very tight on my first bmw purchase- so many combinations of options and features. Oh well.

Assuming it doesn't have adaptive, lowering springs will do?
Ya. If you dont mind doing the job twice when your stock dampers where out...

My car became ridiculously bouncy on springs alone at about 50k.

Using lowering springs on a shock that is designed for standard springs wears them out quicker. Not rocket science.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 07:46 PM   #10
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Why do you say that? Doesn't seem obvious to me.

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:37 PM   #11
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Sorry, not trying to be a d!ck but sssooo many people put springs only first and then have to change out the dampers shortly thereafter. Myself included!

Dont get me wrong- if your OEM units have low miles, then by all means... wear them out before swapping.

But... around 50k they will be shot. Maybe earlier. The bouncing will be evident, especially on the highway with slight changes in road surface (like going over a bridge at 75mph).

Once you have them out you cant test the rebound manually. It was literally embarrassingly easy to depress by hand and the rebound was slow as molasses.

Just sharing honest opinions/experiences.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:40 PM   #12
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, not trying to be a d!ck but sssooo many people put springs only first and then have to change out the dampers shortly thereafter. Myself included!

Dont get me wrong- if your OEM units have low miles, then by all means... wear them out before swapping.

But... around 50k they will be shot. Maybe earlier. The bouncing will be evident, especially on the highway will slight changes in road surface (like going over a bridge at 75mph).

Once you have them out you cant test the rebound manually. It was literally embarrassingly easy to depress by hand and the rebound was slow as molasses.

I'm not good at suspension.

What other ways can I lower car?

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:41 PM   #13
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But... around 50k they will be shot. Maybe earlier. The bouncing will be evident, especially on the highway will slight changes in road surface (like going over a bridge at 75mph).

How many miles on your original shocks?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:47 PM   #14
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 11:08 PM   #15
bmwchue
Captain
Rep

any cars with stock suspension shocks,struts etc are not able to handle with lowering springs. Its best to get a good brand set of coilovers
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:13 AM   #16
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I personally think throwing springs on their will not be your best plan.

You need new dampers and springs both at that mileage. Or just leave your set up alone for now.

I would look at the classifieds on here for a good deal.

Either coil overs or a set of springs and Bilstein (or similar) will do.
Appreciate 0