F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Er catless+awe midpipe+awe exhaust way to loud?
Studio RSR

10-08-2017, 07:46 PM   #1
Derek80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 440i

Er catless+awe midpipe+awe exhaust way to loud?

Hi guys, I just had my friend installed the AWE midpipe and exhaust into my 2017 440ix gc.
Before my friend install the AWEs for me, my car had:
  • JB4
  • BMS Intake
  • Er catless downpipe
With the Er catless and stock exhaust, I can hardly hear any crackle pop sounds, so I was planning to swap the Er catless to CG precision DS-1, but there was a fitment issue on DS-1 (one of the o2 sensors cant be screwed in). So, we just install the AWE midpipe and exhaust on with Er catless.

After the install, the crackle, pop sound is amazing, but the cold start is way too loud. I feel like my neighbors are going to kill me someday lol , and I would like to lower the volume down a bit, but still keep the crackle/pop sound.
Any recommendations to lower the volume?
I don't know if a catted downpipe is going to help lowering it? Or I just change the downpipe to stock (kinda dont want to loss those powers)?
It's a leased car, so I want to keep the OEM exhaust in one piece.
Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 10:00 PM   #2
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Install resonators.

I just got my first noise complaint today, and it was at fucking 1PM in the afternoon. I might have to go this route to quiet it down as well.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 04:36 AM   #3
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i x drive

Install a dynomax bullet resonator from summit I’ve tried many different setups since I installed my catless Downpipe, you deff need a resonator in place unless you want to sound like a Honda
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 06:20 AM   #4
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Our cold starts are very brutal... but doing anything to quiet it down will also have an effect on the back fires.

I used to run AWE axelback/ER catless DP/stock midpipe and it sounded really good. Compared to the setup I have now which is Meisterschaft (essentially straight pipe when open valve) the full-throttle-let-off explosions were quite similar. The main difference is the lower rpms crackles in Sport mode.

I still got the lower rpm gargles with my AWE setup they just werent quite as snappy as my open Meisterschaft if that makes sense. That set up was just over all less brutal, but still sounded amazing imo.

So to quiet it down id either throw the stock midpipe back on, or weld on a resonator to keep that wide diameter throughout. I can get you a video of my AWE set up if youd like.

EDIT... I just realized you said AWE midpipe not catback... lol. hope this still helps

Last edited by jalkster; 10-09-2017 at 06:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #5
Derek80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
Install resonators.

I just got my first noise complaint today, and it was at fucking 1PM in the afternoon. I might have to go this route to quiet it down as well.
That probably is the only way
Appreciate 1
G.Newt808.50
      10-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
Derek80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec800 View Post
Install a dynomax bullet resonator from summit I’ve tried many different setups since I installed my catless Downpipe, you deff need a resonator in place unless you want to sound like a Honda
At the moment, my car does sound like a Honda lol. Is the resonator you installed lower the volume of backfire sound as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
Derek80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalkster View Post
Our cold starts are very brutal... but doing anything to quiet it down will also have an effect on the back fires.

I used to run AWE axelback/ER catless DP/stock midpipe and it sounded really good. Compared to the setup I have now which is Meisterschaft (essentially straight pipe when open valve) the full-throttle-let-off explosions were quite similar. The main difference is the lower rpms crackles in Sport mode.

I still got the lower rpm gargles with my AWE setup they just werent quite as snappy as my open Meisterschaft if that makes sense. That set up was just over all less brutal, but still sounded amazing imo.

So to quiet it down id either throw the stock midpipe back on, or weld on a resonator to keep that wide diameter throughout. I can get you a video of my AWE set up if youd like.

EDIT... I just realized you said AWE midpipe not catback... lol. hope this still helps
Hmm can I have the link for your awe setup? If I want to use AWE exhaust, I’m gonna have to cut my stock mid pipe :( Btw, is install a catted downpipe gonna help lowering the volume? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #8
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek80 View Post
Hmm can I have the link for your awe setup? If I want to use AWE exhaust, I’m gonna have to cut my stock mid pipe :( Btw, is install a catted downpipe gonna help lowering the volume? Thanks.
A catted DP will lower volume a little but over all the tone will be more refined. I have it on my instagram @f30canon
miked07132.50
      10-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #9
Derek80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
A catted DP will lower volume a little but over all the tone will be more refined. I have it on my instagram @f30canon
Ah, I’ll check it once I got home. Do you think with my setup switch to a catted DP, the volume will be lower into acceptable range? I’m thinking an ER catted. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #10
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ah, I’ll check it once I got home. Do you think with my setup switch to a catted DP, the volume will be lower into acceptable range? I’m thinking an ER catted. Thanks
From the people ive talked to the DS1 catted is the way to go. It sounds great and guarantees no CEL unlike the ER, even though that doesnt seem to be a concern since youre catless now. and I dont want to give you invalid information, Im really not sure how much quieter the high flow cat would make it, all cars and exhaust setups are different. It would be noticeable though, for your neighbors im not too sure haha
      10-09-2017, 12:57 PM   #11
Derek80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
From the people ive talked to the DS1 catted is the way to go. It sounds great and guarantees no CEL unlike the ER, even though that doesnt seem to be a concern since youre catless now. and I dont want to give you invalid information, Im really not sure how much quieter the high flow cat would make it, all cars and exhaust setups are different. It would be noticeable though, for your neighbors im not too sure haha
Haha, thanks, my neighbors probably think me from more annoying to annoying. I had the DS1, but one of my o2 sensor just won’t screw in. Getting bad first impression of them. Anyway, I really like the backfire sounds, and hope to keep it that way, I’m contacting ECS atm, see what they say about my DP.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 06:04 PM   #12
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

I can chime in on the CG DS-1. It's loud AF. My cold starts, as Jalkster mentioned, are really brutal. Once I reach 3k RPM, it gets kinda raspy, but I don't think it sounds like a Honda. Has a slightly deep tone, nice gargles, LOUD/fast pops and bangs. My non-car friend said it sounds like a race car. My car friends all think it sounds good, just too loud.

Side note: I also have AWE full catback. The midpipe made a big difference, and the muffler is so small I think the only thing it does is cancel out drone. It pretty much sounds straight-piped.

Odd that you didn't get proper o2 fitment, I think you're the first person on here that has had that issue. My muffler shop/tech didn't even need the $20 gasket some people have needed.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2

Last edited by G.Newt; 10-09-2017 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 06:08 PM   #13
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep

A aftermarket bullet style resonator will get rid of the higher pitched noises(rasp) while keeping most of the pops and cracks the oem one on the Car gets rid of most of pops I’m guessing there is more sound deadening material then the dynomax resonator I currently have
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 06:17 PM   #14
Derek80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
I can chime in on the CG DS-1. It's loud AF. My cold starts, as Jalkster mentioned, are really brutal. Once I reach 3k RPM, it gets kinda raspy, but I don't think it sounds like a Honda. Has a slightly deep tone, nice gargles, LOUD/fast pops and bangs. My non-car friend said it sounds like a race car. My car friends all think it sounds good, just too loud.

Side note: I also have AWE full catback. The midpipe made a big difference, and the muffler is so small I think the only thing it does is cancel out drone. It pretty much sounds straight-piped.

Odd that you didn't get proper o2 fitment, I think you're the first person on here that has had that issue. My muffler shop/tech didn't even need the $20 gasket some people have needed.
Yep, I never heard anyone with this issue

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 06:19 PM   #15
Derek80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
A aftermarket bullet style resonator will get rid of the higher pitched noises(rasp) while keeping most of the pops and cracks the oem one on the Car gets rid of most of pops I’m guessing there is more sound deadening material then the dynomax resonator I currently have
Sounds nice, do you have video of it?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 10:11 PM   #16
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep

No I do not but any aftermarket resonator/bullet muffler will sound close to the same and make the car sound good and get rid of rasp which is the main problem
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 06:48 AM   #17
Derek80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No I do not but any aftermarket resonator/bullet muffler will sound close to the same and make the car sound good and get rid of rasp which is the main problem
will definitely look into that, also I'm planning to switch to a catted downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #18
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
will definitely look into that, also I'm planning to switch to a catted downpipe.
The catted will definitely help with what you are after

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #19
Derek80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The catted will definitely help with what you are after

Mike
Can't wait to get that
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 12:46 AM   #20
bmw22915
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Quote:
+1 to DS1
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #21
DEmrulai
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw 435i

Quote:

Do you have a video how it sounded
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #22
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEmrulai View Post
Do you have a video how it sounded
yes... just for recap this is ER DP, stock midpipe with resonators, and AWE axelback