F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Convertible vs. Coupe—No Contest
Studio RSR

02-20-2019, 11:39 AM   #45
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Hmm...1) They don't have a 4dr convertible 2) Every other reason listed here.
      02-20-2019, 07:32 PM   #46
Rebound
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F33: The 435i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbol13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by speary8 View Post
Visibility in the F33 is better than the F32 especially in the shoulder blind spot due to there being no B Pilar. Can't see how you think forward visibility is any different. In the real world the performance difference is negligible and I believe you would need to be on a track to notice any real difference
I don't know about F3x, but when I had a cobra (svt) the verts were definitely slower period and this was admitted by the owners.

Funny how the two vert owners are vehemently defending them like everything everyone has said about them isn't true lol
I think it's creepy that you feel like you need to "prove" your car is better. Pretty sure I paid more for my convertible because I wanted a convertible... and I love it! I hope you enjoy your car, too.

Why don't you prove that the color of your car is better than all the other colors?
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2019, 07:37 PM   #47
CMAC’s ‘Vert
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
The effective height of the windshield is lower in the convertible under the thicker-section front header. Being 6'2", I immediately noticed this when I dropped off my coupe and picked up the equivalent convertible loaner at the BMW dealership service department. I felt that I had to "duck" my head a bit to see forward comfortably.
I’m 6’1” and I’ve never felt as if I had to “duck” my head to see comfortably...just lower the seat to its lowest position and take it all the way back...however my wife tells me that an extra inch can make all the difference.....so maybe 6’2” is the breaking point for the ‘vert
Appreciate 1
Styx58.00
      02-20-2019, 07:45 PM   #48
CMAC’s ‘Vert
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know about F3x, but when I had a cobra (svt) the verts were definitely slower period and this was admitted by the owners.

Funny how the two vert owners are vehemently defending them like everything everyone has said about them isn't true lol
“I don’t know about F3x”—Enough said!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 08:47 PM   #49
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:

Everything everyone said is true. I’m not that interested in the difference in performance. Yes it costs more. I hope the top doesn’t fail. Especially in a rain storm. But when the weather is right,it’s great.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 09:10 PM   #50
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMAC’s ‘Vert View Post
I’m 6’1” and I’ve never felt as if I had to “duck” my head to see comfortably...just lower the seat to its lowest position and take it all the way back...however my wife tells me that an extra inch can make all the difference.....so maybe 6’2” is the breaking point for the ‘vert
Who am I to disagree with her? She should know!

PS...long torso here
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 08:24 AM   #51
rbol13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
I think it's creepy that you feel like you need to "prove" your car is better. Pretty sure I paid more for my convertible because I wanted a convertible... and I love it! I hope you enjoy your car, too.

Why don't you prove that the color of your car is better than all the other colors?
I didn't prove anything. It's pretty common knowledge that they are heavier and slower. As I said maybe that's not the case with F3x.

Also just like the guy a few posts up said... Verts are fem, just like sandals. Ok, just having fun enjoy yours too!
      02-21-2019, 08:17 PM   #52
BigJack75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Dream Car

Quote:
Just curious why anyone would choose a coupe over a convertible?...They both basically have the same look,performance,handling...only the coupe doesn’t give you the outright access to “heaven”(pardon the pun)...a simple push of a button and you have the wind in your hair and the sun on your face...I may be a little jaded as I have gone from one type of convertible to the next,but I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t want the best of both worlds.
So many reasons why not to buy a 2 door coupe or vert....

Here are the top 3.

No trunk space, no backseat room, no hatchback......

Verts are fun when you first get them but the novelty wears off quickly.
      02-22-2019, 05:20 AM   #53
speary8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 440i M Sport Convertible

Quote:

Did I say it wasn’t true??? Of course a heavier vehicle with the roof cut off will be slower and less rigid. All I said was in the real world most would not notice a marked difference. Also I am more than happy with my verts performance and stiffness which is more than I can say than my wife about me
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 11:37 AM   #54
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post

When you respond, it's like you're reading a different thread. Everyone's commenting on why they agree or disagree with the OP. Op claims no contest and they can't understand why someone would pick a coupe, and we're all saying exactly why. That's it. Where do you see people arguing? If I say I chose to buy a black car instead of white because I like dark colors, am I trying to prove to you that black is better?
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 06:08 PM   #55
BigJack75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Dream Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
When you respond, it's like you're reading a different thread. Everyone's commenting on why they agree or disagree with the OP. Op claims no contest and they can't understand why someone would pick a coupe, and we're all saying exactly why. That's it. Where do you see people arguing? If I say I chose to buy a black car instead of white because I like dark colors, am I trying to prove to you that black is better?
Yes. Black is better!!!!
      02-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #56
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
I didn't prove anything. It's pretty common knowledge that they are heavier and slower. As I said maybe that's not the case with F3x.

Also just like the guy a few posts up said... Verts are fem, just like sandals. Ok, just having fun enjoy yours too!
Disagree-Corvettes, Ferraris and Aston Martin/Jaguars are killer in 'vert form.
      02-22-2019, 09:11 PM   #57
CMAC’s ‘Vert
Private
United_States
Rep

Best transformer I’ve ever seen
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 10:44 PM   #58
Rebound
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F33: The 435i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by speary8 View Post
Quote:

Did I say it wasn’t true??? Of course a heavier vehicle with the roof cut off will be slower and less rigid. All I said was in the real world most would not notice a marked difference. Also I am more than happy with my verts performance and stiffness which is more than I can say than my wife about me
And they won't let you run a convertible on the track, even a hard-top convertible. I have no doubt that weight goes up and performance goes down, but they're an awful lot of fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 11:20 PM   #59
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack10525 View Post

Here are the top 3.

I’ve had a convertible since 1991. I still enjoy it. Mine has trunk space and a back seat.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 11:41 PM   #60
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

The difference is felt through the steering wheel and goosebumps when cornering at speed on imperfect asphalt. Get what you like, they are very different vehicles with similar characteristics and identical drivetrains.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 08:04 PM   #61
CMAC’s ‘Vert
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Here are the top 3.

Trunk Space is fine with top closed and with the pass-thru open,it gives you lots of potential for storage...top open...not so much...but this car is not for soccer Mom’s lugging around kids and all their crap...that’s why we have our X1
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 08:26 PM   #62
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes. Black is better!!!!
Indeed.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      02-23-2019, 10:12 PM   #63
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Just curious why anyone would choose a coupe over a convertible?...They both basically have the same look,performance,handling...only the coupe doesn’t give you the outright access to “heaven”(pardon the pun)...a simple push of a button and you have the wind in your hair and the sun on your face...I may be a little jaded as I have gone from one type of convertible to the next,but I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t want the best of both worlds.
If you're in a place that rains 9 months out of 12, why get a convertible ? Plus coupes weighs less, handles better, and are much cheaper. Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 01:15 AM   #64
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:

Here are the top 3.

I like the longer doors on my F32 440i. It makes it easier to get in and out if you have long legs and the wider window improves visibility.

The trunk space is only about a cubic foot less than the sedan. The F30 doesn't have a hatchback, either. If it won't fit in my trunk with the rear seats folded down, I should be driving my pickup truck, anyway.

Rear seat room is fine once you climb in... except for headroom, which becomes an issue as you approach six feet tall. My wife recently rode for five hours in the back seat (because our 87 year old friend was riding shotgun) and said it was very comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 12:15 PM   #65
Moupe
Monobloc
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 M Coupe - '19 F31 330ix

Garage List
Did not read thread but some people have more than one car and enjoy the option of driving around top down when the weather or occasion permits. Not everyone drives around at 7/10s or more on the road.

I had a 1988 MR2 SC with t-tops as a first car. Although not a vert, I did enjoy the open top experience on nice Northern California days.

As a side note, a lot of classic/vintage sports cars were all 'verts or simply open top cars. Be open minded schweethearts!
-2002 S54 M Coupé - Steel Gray / Dark Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 01:34 PM   #66
mazdamx594
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i

F33s didn’t come in manual, if they had, I probably would have considered the convertible.
Appreciate 0