F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 Pad Replacement
proTUNING Freaks

10-26-2018, 05:57 AM   #1
Aliman64
Rep
Drives: 330d m sport 16

F30 Pad Replacement

I have recently bought a 330d m sport 2016. However it does not have the M sport brake upgrade. I have toyed with the idea of buying the new set up and upgrading but the cost is too much at the moment after only just buying the car.

I knocked a little off due to the front pads being worn and now its time to change. I have only done this with older cars which were nice and simple however this time I'm looking at sensors ect.

Its the front pads.

Few questions to get myself going. And any advice for a freshman to working on BMWs would be amazing.

Firstly which brand of pad is the best? plenty come up and different sites offer different brands as the go to option.

Secondly do I buy new sensors or can I reuse the ones currently on the car?

Finally is there any computer work id need to do to reset the sensors etc ?

Also.. is it possible to do the M sport brake upgrade myself or is it a complex move to do.

cheers !!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 06:15 PM   #2
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi

1. depends on what you want to achieve. I opted for ceramic type brake pads for its low dusting properties. I personally went with r1concept brake pads (first time) so I'll see how it goes in a week when I get them installed. I have had Akebono Euro Ceramic on a previous car and found that they were great.

2. I believe if your sensor tripped and its now on your idrive and dash saying you need a break change, I think you might need new sensors.

3. yes you can reset it from the dash. there are tutorials on youtube. the one I use is kies motosports. Just search 'f30 kies motorsports brakes'. the reset process is towards the end of the video.

2019 440i xDrive | Muffler Delete |
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 06:23 PM   #3
Aliman64
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheng89 View Post
1. depends on what you want to achieve. I opted for ceramic type brake pads for its low dusting properties. I personally went with r1concept brake pads (first time) so I'll see how it goes in a week when I get them installed. I have had Akebono Euro Ceramic on a previous car and found that they were great.

2. I believe if your sensor tripped and its now on your idrive and dash saying you need a break change, I think you might need new sensors.

3. yes you can reset it from the dash. there are tutorials on youtube. the one I use is kies motosports. Just search 'f30 kies motorsports brakes'. the reset process is towards the end of the video.
Thanks man, I'll order the sensors as well. I read into how the sensors work and yes they will need to be replaced.

I ordered Brembo 10111098A can I order pagid sensors as they're the only ones I see on the same site. Hoping they'll all be okay to fit together ?

It also only seems to have a sensor for the front left axle - is it so that only the sensor is for the left or would there be a sensor for both sides ?

Thanks for getting back
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 07:15 PM   #4
Aliman64
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliman64 View Post
Quote:

Thanks man, I'll order the sensors as well. I read into how the sensors work and yes they will need to be replaced.

I ordered Brembo 10111098A can I order pagid sensors as they're the only ones I see on the same site. Hoping they'll all be okay to fit together ?

It also only seems to have a sensor for the front left axle - is it so that only the sensor is for the left or would there be a sensor for both sides ?

Thanks for getting back
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for getting back

Update for newbies.

Front sensors are on the left axle and back sensor is on the right axle.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for getting back
Not sure on the sensor brand. lol first time changing the brakes on the f30 will be next Monday for me. I went with a decent rated aftermarket one on amazon. A sensor should just be pretty simple after all; if it doesnt play nice I'll just go for a refund and order the BMW ones.

Looks like you found the location of the sensors but just 1 per axle

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 05:55 PM   #6
Aliman64
Rep

Not sure on the sensor brand. lol first time changing the brakes on the f30 will be next Monday for me. I went with a decent rated aftermarket one on amazon. A sensor should just be pretty simple after all; if it doesnt play nice I'll just go for a refund and order the BMW ones.

Looks like you found the location of the sensors but just 1 per axle[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm guessing they're just plug and play. I used a company called Eurocarparts they have 50% sale on at the moment so good time to buy up. I bought front Brembo pads and a fuel filter for £70 total.

Good luck with the change I should have mine done next week too.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #7
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just changed my front brakes last night. The generic sensors from Amazon worked; although it had different varying sections compared to the stock sensor at the connection sites

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #8
Aliman64
Rep

Quote:
Just changed my front brakes last night. The generic sensors from Amazon worked; although it had different varying sections compared to the stock sensor at the connection sites
Cheers mate. I did also. Was a fairly easy change I was surprised
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Can you explain further?

Mind sharing the exact part numbers of everything required for the front brake swap?

Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #10
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Can you explain further?

Mind sharing the exact part numbers of everything required for the front brake swap?

Much appreciated!
Sure thing! Just to avoid confusion, I replaced my brake pads. It was a straight forward process. I have the base brake calipers that come with the 328. I havent gotten around to swapping calipers yet.

Sensor for front brakes:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

brake pads (just follow the drop down menu):
https://www.r1concepts.com/ceramic

I did also buy the accompanying brake hardware which is the metal spring clip on the brake caliper.

Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      11-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #11
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Can you explain further?

Much appreciated!
Sure thing! Just to avoid confusion, I replaced my brake pads. It was a straight forward process. I have the base brake calipers that come with the 328. I havent gotten around to swapping calipers yet.

Sensor for front brakes:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1

brake pads (just follow the drop down menu):
https://www.r1concepts.com/ceramic

I did also buy the accompanying brake hardware which is the metal spring clip on the brake caliper.
Thanks. I think Ill do the same first time around.

I think me rears will go first. Have you done yours yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 05:12 PM   #12
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I think Ill do the same first time around.

I think me rears will go first. Have you done yours yet?
I have not. Those are due in 1400mi according to my idrive. So soonish.

Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50