F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BM3 vs MHD - All Aspects
Extreme Powerhouse

10-14-2021, 08:34 PM   #67
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
I can't seem to reply to your thread there cause its a different forum, but i'll add a few things based on a quick read and look at the stage 2 MHD log vs stage 2 BM3.

First, stage 2+ MHD is supposed to be compared to stage 2 BM3 as those are the "equivalent" tunes. Stage 2 MHD is inbetween stage 1 and 2 BM3; its just a different rating of the "stages".

Second, you talked about the timing corrections in your MHD log vs BM3 log and claimed the car "adapted better" to the BM3 tune. However, the IATs in the MHD log are nearly 30 degrees higher which is a huge factor in timing correction. It also raises the question as to whether or not you logged on the same tank of gas or not. There's also natural variability from log to log so unless you collected 3 of each, and all 6 on the same tank of gas, and under similar IATs/ambient conditions, it's not really a fair comparison. The timing in the MHD log recovered quite a bit by the upper RPM as well even though IATs dropped only a few degrees below 100F. (BM3 is also potentially less sensitive to timing corrections but i wont get into that).

The reason MHD said the log is too aggressive for your ambient pressure is because they dont recommend running the turbo in the upper 90% WGDC. If you compare boost in the two logs, the MHD log is actually targeting higher boost then BM3, which is typically not the case, but because it is load-based it is adjusting for your lower ambient pressure. You revved out the BM3 log further, but the MHD log was making basically exactly the same or slightly more boost than the BM3 one. In the upper RPM the MHD falls off less because its trying to meet load target, but you can see why they dont recommend it due to high WGDC. BM3 of course has not problem with WGDC near 100% because their OTS maps push the stock turbo that hard anyways. If they had the same more conservative approach as MHD they would have also recommended you not run the stage 2 map.

So what evidence do you actually have that the BM3 map adapted better to your engine - "From the beginning, the stage 2 93 octane map adapted much better to the engine...". Aside from the timing corrections, because that is a moot point given the IAT differences and questions about fuel.

The bottom line is that MHD support just recommended not to run a map that is maxing the turbo due to your altitude, whereas BM3 said it was just fine.
I also feel that if he had the upgraded inlets and turbosmart BOV, it would help reduce WGDC, just slapping on the CTS inlet reduced my WGDC by 5%, I used to have about 65% past 5800-6000rpm, and now it never goes past 60% at all. PWG of course already comes with lower WGDC, but with the combination of everything there was a huge difference.
yeah pwg and ewg duty cycles are vastly different
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:43 PM   #68
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
I can't seem to reply to your thread there cause its a different forum, but i'll add a few things based on a quick read and look at the stage 2 MHD log vs stage 2 BM3.

First, stage 2+ MHD is supposed to be compared to stage 2 BM3 as those are the "equivalent" tunes. Stage 2 MHD is inbetween stage 1 and 2 BM3; its just a different rating of the "stages".

Second, you talked about the timing corrections in your MHD log vs BM3 log and claimed the car "adapted better" to the BM3 tune. However, the IATs in the MHD log are nearly 30 degrees higher which is a huge factor in timing correction. It also raises the question as to whether or not you logged on the same tank of gas or not. There's also natural variability from log to log so unless you collected 3 of each, and all 6 on the same tank of gas, and under similar IATs/ambient conditions, it's not really a fair comparison. The timing in the MHD log recovered quite a bit by the upper RPM as well even though IATs dropped only a few degrees below 100F. (BM3 is also potentially less sensitive to timing corrections but i wont get into that).

The reason MHD said the log is too aggressive for your ambient pressure is because they dont recommend running the turbo in the upper 90% WGDC. If you compare boost in the two logs, the MHD log is actually targeting higher boost then BM3, which is typically not the case, but because it is load-based it is adjusting for your lower ambient pressure. You revved out the BM3 log further, but the MHD log was making basically exactly the same or slightly more boost than the BM3 one. In the upper RPM the MHD falls off less because its trying to meet load target, but you can see why they dont recommend it due to high WGDC. BM3 of course has not problem with WGDC near 100% because their OTS maps push the stock turbo that hard anyways. If they had the same more conservative approach as MHD they would have also recommended you not run the stage 2 map.

So what evidence do you actually have that the BM3 map adapted better to your engine - "From the beginning, the stage 2 93 octane map adapted much better to the engine...". Aside from the timing corrections, because that is a moot point given the IAT differences and questions about fuel.

The bottom line is that MHD support just recommended not to run a map that is maxing the turbo due to your altitude, whereas BM3 said it was just fine.
I tag you on the M2 side all the time, and you never respond. Now I know why - you can post, you just have to sign in as normal.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:10 PM   #69
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I tag you on the M2 side all the time, and you never respond. Now I know why - you can post, you just have to sign in as normal.
I've literally never seen a single one of these tags you speak of lol... been missing them the entire time. I dont think i get notifications for them.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:11 PM   #70
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
I also feel that if he had the upgraded inlets and turbosmart BOV, it would help reduce WGDC, just slapping on the CTS inlet reduced my WGDC by 5%, I used to have about 65% past 5800-6000rpm, and now it never goes past 60% at all. PWG of course already comes with lower WGDC, but with the combination of everything there was a huge difference.
I saw only like 2% from inlet on EWG, so yeah it's very different. And i tested pretty carefully/extensively controlling for other variables. The biggest difference from the inlet was the tangible change in driveability, WGDC differences aside.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 07:13 AM   #71
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
I saw only like 2% from inlet on EWG, so yeah it's very different. And i tested pretty carefully/extensively controlling for other variables. The biggest difference from the inlet was the tangible change in driveability, WGDC differences aside.
I wonder if the advantages VS EWG for PWG is more boost at lower WGDC
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 11:56 PM   #72
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthlessf30 View Post
Hi everyone - I’m very new to the bmw community and i just recently picked up a 2014 f30. The car currently has a catless downpipe and muffler delete and is tuned (MHD stage 2). The previous owner did these mods I bought the car like this. The problem is I cannot stand the horrible exhaust fumes the car gives off. I have to ride with the windows up because with the windows down it’s completely unbearable. I believe the smell is so bad because the car is catless. So ideally I would like the buy a catted downpipe to eliminate the exhaust smell. However, right now the car is tuned with a very aggressive burble setting and I know that can eat threw a catted downpipe. Is there any catted downpipe options where it will eliminate the exhaust fumes and also be fine with an aggressive burble tune? I know one option is to buy the catted downpipe and lower the aggressiveness of the burble tune but that would require me to buy the MHD software and and try and adjust the tune myself which I would like to avoid if possible. Any help would be great, thank you!!!
The previous owner cant resell the MHD tune so there's no reason he shouldnt have just given you his login info for it?
Appreciate 1
johnung4525.00
      12-21-2021, 03:12 PM   #73
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

I've been running MHD Stage 1 93 octane since about September in my F15 X5 n55. I haven't had a single issue, I recently switched to stage 2 and I don't feel too much of a difference but thats probably because I don't have the supporting mods (dp & intercooler).

I will be switching back to Stage 1 soon for safety reasons until I get my catless downpipes, also getting ngk 1 step colder plugs and upgrading the boost pipe since I still have the factory plastic one. Overall I love the feel of the tune as my suv feels just like stock, just alot faster. I've embarrassed a few Charger R/Ts and a new other cars in my big ol SUV.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 04:26 PM   #74
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar22 View Post
I've been running MHD Stage 1 93 octane since about September in my F15 X5 n55. I haven't had a single issue, I recently switched to stage 2 and I don't feel too much of a difference but thats probably because I don't have the supporting mods (dp & intercooler).

I will be switching back to Stage 1 soon for safety reasons until I get my catless downpipes, also getting ngk 1 step colder plugs and upgrading the boost pipe since I still have the factory plastic one. Overall I love the feel of the tune as my suv feels just like stock, just alot faster. I've embarrassed a few Charger R/Ts and a new other cars in my big ol SUV.
Keep OEM plugs. Chargepipe is a must, and i also recommend IC even for stage 1. IC+CP will also allow stage 2. IC+CP+DP will allow 2+
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 03:21 PM   #75
Velocifero23
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i GT

Quote:
Keep OEM plugs. Chargepipe is a must, and i also recommend IC even for stage 1. IC+CP will also allow stage 2. IC+CP+DP will allow 2+
Sorry to bring up old posts.
I'm in a '15 F34, I've done IC, CP, intake, and have the downpipe on the schedule in the next month or so. I was looking at the MHD 2, you think I should get 2+ and you say it's alright to stay with the OEM plugs. The car is regularly maintained so plugs are in good shape.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 08:40 PM   #76
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocifero23 View Post
Sorry to bring up old posts.
I'm in a '15 F34, I've done IC, CP, intake, and have the downpipe on the schedule in the next month or so. I was looking at the MHD 2, you think I should get 2+ and you say it's alright to stay with the OEM plugs. The car is regularly maintained so plugs are in good shape.
Yes, ive ran stock plugs, stock gap on stage 2+ for years... both 91 map and E20 map. I even ran that on my original plugs (from 2015 with ~45k miles or so) before i changed them without issues.
Appreciate 0