F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan Shockware
GetBMWParts

07-10-2016, 09:51 PM   #67
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I got just the Dinan Shockware software and kept the stock springs. The software transformed the car. For me, there was no need to change springs too.

I recommend you get Shockware first and see how you like it. You can always go for the springs later if you want.
Can you tell me what you mean by transformed the car? I am considering getting Dinan Shockware for my F30 but am not sure how different the car will feel when driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 09:17 AM   #68
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

IMO, it wasn't dramatic, but it was there and noticeable. It didn't turn the ride into a jackhammer, was a bit more firm. I think Dinan says it's something like a 15% increase in both modes. Paired up with sport lowering springs, it works very well, but without the springs it was ok. Helped reduce the "boat" feeling when in non-sport modes.
      07-15-2016, 03:13 AM   #69
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWApp View Post
Can you tell me what you mean by transformed the car? I am considering getting Dinan Shockware for my F30 but am not sure how different the car will feel when driving.
Yes I can.

Before Dinan Shockware, the car was floaty in eco and comfort modes. To me, it was not drivable in those modes. When I got into the car and left my driveway, I had to select sport mode immediately or I would go nuts with the floating, diving, lunging, old-Buick like feel of the suspension. After Dinan Shockware, my car handles well in comfort mode with none of the floaty suspension feel. Comfort is now so good I rarely think to put it in sport mode for around town driving. Comfort is now like Sport was but somehow more compliant, like the best of both worlds for day-to-day driving. With Dinan Shockware, sport mode is now dialed up a notch in stiffness. It feels great when I'm in that mood, but mostly I shift to sport suspension to get the stiffer steering. Keep in mind that I have decoupled suspension mode changes from throttle mode changes.

I am not a race driver or a technical person so I have a hard time explaining better than that. Bottom line: It's like driving a different car to me. You will have to decide for yourself. If you are happy with comfort mode as is, then maybe Dinan Shockware won't ring your bell the way it did for me. Either try to find one to drive or just blow the $500 and take a chance.

And finally, mine is a MY2014. I don't know if BMW has done anything with the stock suspension modes in the 2015 or 2016 models. If they have, then the Dinan Shockware update may not be as dramatic.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 04:50 AM   #70
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:
Yes I can.

Before Dinan Shockware, the car was floaty in eco and comfort modes. To me, it was not drivable in those modes. When I got into the car and left my driveway, I had to select sport mode immediately or I would go nuts with the floating, diving, lunging, old-Buick like feel of the suspension. After Dinan Shockware, my car handles well in comfort mode with none of the floaty suspension feel. Comfort is now so good I rarely think to put it in sport mode for around town driving. Comfort is now like Sport was but somehow more compliant, like the best of both worlds for day-to-day driving. With Dinan Shockware, sport mode is now dialed up a notch in stiffness. It feels great when I'm in that mood, but mostly I shift to sport suspension to get the stiffer steering. Keep in mind that I have decoupled suspension mode changes from throttle mode changes.

I am not a race driver or a technical person so I have a hard time explaining better than that. Bottom line: It's like driving a different car to me. You will have to decide for yourself. If you are happy with comfort mode as is, then maybe Dinan Shockware won't ring your bell the way it did for me. Either try to find one to drive or just blow the $500 and take a chance.

And finally, mine is a MY2014. I don't know if BMW has done anything with the stock suspension modes in the 2015 or 2016 models. If they have, then the Dinan Shockware update may not be as dramatic.
This describes my experience with my 2014 F34 xDrive perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 09:14 PM   #71
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes I can.

Thanks for explaining. That helps a lot. Sounds like it's well worth the $500 cost.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 09:47 PM   #72
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for explaining. That helps a lot. Sounds like it's well worth the $500 cost.
That's my thinking. It's the best $500 I ever spent on a car. It troubled me that I had to do this for the car to ride like it should, but I got over that emotion and just did it. What a difference. On top of that, I changed out RTFs when they were almost worn and replaced with go flat tires. Together, its amazing.

I think its obvious but I just want to be sure you are aware you have to have DHP on your car to get Dinan Shockware.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 09:38 PM   #73
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That's my thinking. It's the best $500 I ever spent on a car. It troubled me that I had to do this for the car to ride like it should, but I got over that emotion and just did it. What a difference. On top of that, I changed out RTFs when they were almost worn and replaced with go flat tires. Together, its amazing.

I think its obvious but I just want to be sure you are aware you have to have DHP on your car to get Dinan Shockware.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Thanks! I've got a 2015 320i with the Sport Package so it has the M Sport Suspension. Would that work? According to Dinan's website I can get Shockware on the 320i. Also, have you noticed a difference in mileage since you had it done?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 11:38 PM   #74
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I've got a 2015 320i with the Sport Package so it has the M Sport Suspension. Would that work? According to Dinan's website I can get Shockware on the 320i. Also, have you noticed a difference in mileage since you had it done?
I am not certain, but I think you have M sport suspension with the sport package. M sport suspension is different from Adaptive M Suspension. If I am correct, you cannot get Dinan Shockware since this software only works with the adaptive M suspension.

You would know if you have adaptive M suspension when you changed modes from eco mode to sport mode the suspension tightens up a lot. If changing modes only changes throttle response, then you don't have adaptive m suspension.

Here is a link to the Dinan Shockware page. It will explain how it works and explain the suspension requirements.

Good luck!

http://www.dinancars.com/product/d90...-f30-335i-edc/
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 12:33 AM   #75
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Quote:
Decode your VIN and see if it contains 2VF. If it does then you have adaptive suspension and can get the shockware. Otherwise you just have the passive sport suspension.
      07-18-2016, 02:01 PM   #76
Athens13
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
I am not certain, but I think you have M sport suspension with the sport package. M sport suspension is different from Adaptive M Suspension. If I am correct, you cannot get Dinan Shockware since this software only works with the adaptive M suspension.

You would know if you have adaptive M suspension when you changed modes from eco mode to sport mode the suspension tightens up a lot. If changing modes only changes throttle response, then you don't have adaptive m suspension.

Here is a link to the Dinan Shockware page. It will explain how it works and explain the suspension requirements.

Good luck!

http://www.dinancars.com/product/d90...-f30-335i-edc/
correct I called Budd's BMW who is a Dinan rep you cannot get shockware if you do not have adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #77
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post
Decode your VIN and see if it contains 2VF. If it does then you have adaptive suspension and can get the shockware. Otherwise you just have the passive sport suspension.
I've got the M Sport Suspension (704) and not the adaptive suspension. Looks like not an option for me. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 07:20 AM   #78
1slowm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Jahre

Does anyone have a pic of what you receive with the DINAN Shockware package? What are the physical components?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 08:14 AM   #79
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droz_f36 View Post
Does anyone have a pic of what you receive with the DINAN Shockware package? What are the physical components?
IIRC, there are none.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #80
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Droz its a flash it changes the dampers programmatic settings.. as far as physical .. maybe you get a sticker I dunno
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #81
1slowm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Jahre

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Droz its a flash it changes the dampers programmatic settings.. as far as physical .. maybe you get a sticker I dunno
Not to sound stupid, but how is it programmed? Through a flash drive? OBD?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 02:42 PM   #82
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droz_f36 View Post
Not to sound stupid, but how is it programmed? Through a flash drive? OBD?
OBDII
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 10:54 PM   #83
Lego864
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 x5 35d, 11 335d

I was cruising Dinan website with a friend who's looking at there lowering springs and noticed the shockwave is only $200 now. Just an fyi for anyone who was on the fence.

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d9...r-bmw-f3x-edc/
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 08:52 PM   #84
Climb Mode
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Anyone know how Shockware works on a lease return? Dealer just codes it off and no non-issue? Dinan shop has to 'remove' the coding prior to lease return?

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 07:38 PM   #85
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [8.83]
2023 BMW iX M60  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [8.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb Mode View Post
Anyone know how Shockware works on a lease return? Dealer just codes it off and no non-issue? Dinan shop has to 'remove' the coding prior to lease return?

Thanks guys.
I have this question too. Just leased an F31 with adaptive suspension.

Also what happens if BMW has to re-flash the car if there’s some other issue? Does it require another $205 to re-re program the shockware?

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 11:52 PM   #86
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Bmw dealers don’t bother flashing the car to the latest software after a lease return. And if they did, it may or may not overwrite shockware. But anyways, they don’t have the time to drive the car around to notice it’s stiffer than normal

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #87
pkiledj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 6MT xDrive M-Adaptive

Does anyone know how to decouple the steering from the suspension? I want: stiff suspension, responsive throttle, and light steering. The car has adaptive suspension of course.

I called Dinan but they do not offer a solution.
Appreciate 0