F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Steering responsive high beams?
GetBMWParts

12-12-2018, 08:52 PM   #1
harrywashy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2015 BMW 435xi  [0.00]
Steering responsive high beams?

Looking for help to see if I do have steering responsive high beams. My normal lights don't seem to move when I turn, but when I have high beams on they definitely seem to move with the steering wheel a bit. Attached photo to show the headlights I have.

**sorry for my ignorance of not knowing too much about my own car. I bought from Carmax and they didn't know what they had on the lot, let-alone anything about the car:

435 xdrive m sport F33 with basically every package. They thought it wasn't xdrive because previous owner de-badged - (quick VIN check fixed that.) And they also didn't know anything about M sport. (Ended up paying about 5k less than market value, purely based on lack of knowledge)
Attached Images

Current:
2018 BMW X3 M40i
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #2
Gbtr6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

Checking the vin should tell you the lighting you have. Looks like leds or bi-xenon. Probably adaptive. Vin will tell all.

Perry
      12-13-2018, 12:20 AM   #3
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

That design looks to be pre-LCI bi-xenons, which should make them adaptive. Also, high beams and low beams are off the same bulb, afaik.

Park in front of a wall at night with your lights on and turn the wheel side to side. If they're adaptive, you'll be able to tell.
N26Ghost496.50
      12-13-2018, 07:04 AM   #4
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

And make sure your light switch is in "auto" position with the lights on.
      12-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #5
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Those are Xenons. The inner housings are dummies. The light source is the outer housing. They move when in low or high beam position.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #6
Gbtr6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
That design looks to be pre-LCI bi-xenons, which should make them adaptive. Also, high beams and low beams are off the same bulb, afaik.

Park in front of a wall at night with your lights on and turn the wheel side to side. If they're adaptive, you'll be able to tell.
With mine, it seems as though you have to be moving to see them turn. They will turn to the right, away from traffic, but will only turn a little to the left, into oncoming traffic. If you are on a straight road, and move the wheel back and forth, you should see the lights move as well.

Perry
      12-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #7
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbtr6 View Post
Quote:

With mine, it seems as though you have to be moving to see them turn. They will turn to the right, away from traffic, but will only turn a little to the left, into oncoming traffic. If you are on a straight road, and move the wheel back and forth, you should see the lights move as well.

Perry
Correct.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #8
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:

Perry
It's like the ASS and the blind spot monitoring. Only works above a certain speed. For ASS you have to have been moving at a certain speed while having it turned on before it will work when you stop.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #9
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Perry
It's like the ASS and the blind spot monitoring. Only works above a certain speed. For ASS you have to have been moving at a certain speed while having it turned on before it will work when you stop.
Weird. I'm pretty sure mine move even at a standstill.
tex26702411.00
      12-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #10
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Perry
Weird. I'm pretty sure mine move even at a standstill.
The blind spot or the ASS? On my loaner with blind spot it only worked above 30 mph and it said so in the manual.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #11
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
Those are Xenons. The inner housings are dummies. The light source is the outer housing. They move when in low or high beam position.
I'll have to check that on my wife's car when I get home. Mind you, with the arcane US lighting laws, I won't be surprised if the inners are decorative only.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #12
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Blank

I thought we're talking about adaptive headlights? Not sure how blind spot monitoring or auto start-stop came into the mix.
      12-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #13
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
I'll have to check that on my wife's car when I get home. Mind you, with the arcane US lighting laws, I won't be surprised if the inners are decorative only.
Already known and confirmed that inner housings are non-functional.