F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Why, oh why, BMW are you messing my car's performance?
GetBMWParts

01-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Why, oh why, BMW are you messing my car's performance?

I had my car in for service last week -- the hood wouldn't close completely.

While in the shop, the dealer applied a SIB that re-programmed the car. I don't mind the fact that my customizations (weather band, actual tire temp/pressure display, unlock doors with ignition off, etc.) along with most of my custom settings in iDrive were wiped. They're easy to reapply.

And I guess it's nice to have the "speaker head" with the spoken command appear along the top of the control screen when using voice control that this re-programming added.

But what I really wish BMW would STOP doing is messing with power delivery and accelerator mapping. Others who've had these "mandatory" or "recall" SIBs applied have complained of "less power." Well, all 300 horses are still there. You just have to re-learn where they are in the pedal travel in Comfort, Sport and Sport+ modes. The does of sedative applied to Eco Pro makes it more numb than ever. I wonder if this is some kind of reaction to the EPA mileage numbers, which BMW had to restate for the 328i in MY12.

Whatever it is, I wish BMW would stop messing with the power delivery in my car. If it wants to add features, even stuff as minor as the visual confirmation of spoken commands on the control screen, that's OK. But changing the way the car drives should be off-limits.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

As an opposite viewpoint, I had a 2011 A4 with terrible downshift clunkiness when I first got the car. A ECU reprogram as a part of a service campaign resolved that. I don't think messing with the drive should be off-limits... but it does seem strange that it made your car more sedated.

Maybe the service campaign just reset the adaptations and it'll take a while before the car re-learns your driving habits?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
...Maybe the service campaign just reset the adaptations and it'll take a while before the car re-learns your driving habits?
Interesting idea and a distinct possibility. But it feels like the throttle mapping has been desensitized. I am not sure the adaptive learning learns the throttle positions.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

this is the second post i read about. Sounds really crappy. are they doing similar things to 328s?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
normsbimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

I really think they are doing this detuning prior to the performance package release. I'm going back to the dealer to have them return my car to its original state prior to the patch.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by normsbimmer View Post
I really think they are doing this detuning prior to the performance package release. I'm going back to the dealer to have them return my car to its original state prior to the patch.
That was my conspiracy theory a couple months ago when it was initially released (or said it was to be released). It was supposed to be a joke...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by normsbimmer View Post
Good luck with this. I don't believe I have ever heard of a dealer down-leveling a car.

I doubt your dealer has the ability to do this or even knows how it can be done.

Suppose for example you brought your car in for an update and it crashed and bricked the car. (This happened to my E90 330i.)

What do they do? They call BMW and the two work together to do whatever is necessary, even to replacing ECUs, in order to get the car updated to the CURRENT level. They never even consider downgrading the car.

If you get your car re-programmed, it's a one way street.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
Good luck with this. I don't believe I have ever heard of a dealer down-leveling a car.

I doubt your dealer has the ability to do this or even knows how it can be done.

Suppose for example you brought your car in for an update and it crashed and bricked the car. (This happened to my E90 330i.)

What do they do? They call BMW and the two work together to do whatever is necessary, even to replacing ECUs, in order to get the car updated to the CURRENT level. They never even consider downgrading the car.

If you get your car re-programmed, it's a one way street.
Well, in a way, this is not the vehicle you purchased. If it really is true that they are doing it, and it can be proved, you should be able to ask for your money back. If that is where it ends, they will find a way to make that re-programming a two way street.
I really want to believe they are not doing this. It could totally ruin the brand
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

had mine recently updated, nary an issue with performance.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
...Maybe the service campaign just reset the adaptations and it'll take a while before the car re-learns your driving habits?
Interesting idea and a distinct possibility. But it feels like the throttle mapping has been desensitized. I am not sure the adaptive learning learns the throttle positions.
At least on my previous cars it was a known fact that adaptation for throttle by wire will adapt both throttle map and response speed based on whether you're a sedate or throttle punchy driver. I wouldn't be surprised if BMW does the same at least in comfort mode.
      01-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #11
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

I've seen other reports of this and even started a thread about it but I've been laughed at... Go figure.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785759
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #12
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1337 View Post
I've seen other reports of this and even started a thread about it but I've been laughed at... Go figure.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785759
It's tin foil hat time!!!

It's simple: with a reflash a lot of adaptive throttle settings get reset. Drive your car as you normally do for a couple weeks, and it will re adapt.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post

It's simple: with a reflash a lot of adaptive throttle settings get reset. Drive your car as you normally do for a couple weeks, and it will re adapt.
Ok that makes more sense...because I drive my car a lot, so it must re adapt more rapidly than others. I hardly notice performance differences when I get it back - I also blow through a tank in 3 days.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post

Spoken by a guy who can code...right? I'm inclined to rely on this info.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
1.fresh.f30.335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xdrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot
I had my car in for service last week -- the hood wouldn't close completely.

While in the shop, the dealer applied a SIB that re-programmed the car. I don't mind the fact that my customizations (weather band, actual tire temp/pressure display, unlock doors with ignition off, etc.) along with most of my custom settings in iDrive were wiped. They're easy to reapply.

And I guess it's nice to have the "speaker head" with the spoken command appear along the top of the control screen when using voice control that this re-programming added.
Who can code for individual tire pressures, hp and torque instead of kw and nm and default to auto on/off being off? Im in the New England are.

'14 535i xdrive M-Sport Carbon Black w/Mocha Nappa
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

The adaptations are 100% what you are feeling/noticing.

If I let my wife drive my car for a few days, it feels EXTREMELY slow when I get it back. All because she is a more tame driver than me and the car has adapted. All you need is a few days of driving and it will be back to what you feel is normal.
      01-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #17
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.fresh.f30.335 View Post
Who can code for individual tire pressures, hp and torque instead of kw and nm and default to auto on/off being off? Im in the New England are.
i'd be interested too...annoying that the dealer can't get that done.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #18
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park2670 View Post
The adaptations are 100% what you are feeling/noticing.

If I let my wife drive my car for a few days, it feels EXTREMELY slow when I get it back. All because she is a more tame driver than me and the car has adapted. All you need is a few days of driving and it will be back to what you feel is normal.
Maybe. Or maybe, I will adapt to the car. That's always the way: you stop noticing things after you get used to them.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #19
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
i'd be interested too...annoying that the dealer can't get that done.
Code:
<own.thread.hijack>
I code my own car, but am not willing to take the responsibility of coding anyone else's.

I have suggested, however, to people in the Boston BMWCCA that we should have a coding group, which I'd be happy to participate in.

That has met with deafening silence. I love the BMWCCA -- and believe everyone here should belong. But the club is focused on older cars and neo-Luddites hold sway.

So, if you are in New England and you want to learn how to code your F30, go to the club website (http://boston-bmwcca.org/) or Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/BMWCCA.Boston) and make a comment to that effect. Maybe that'll make a difference. The club is always talking about ways to attract new members. Seems to me a coding SIG would bring in a few F10/F30 newbies.

Some of the features I've enabled in my F30 are just awesome and useful, especially actual tire pressure/temperature and weather band. I would love my car a little less if I didn't have these things now. And I'll bet a bunch more people would like these things, too.

Coding has been proven to be "safe and effective" for F30 owners. I think the best way to spread the news is via the BMW CCA.

Code:
</own.thread.hijack>
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #20
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Relax... Give it several days to adapt to you again. It will, don't you worry.

Quote:
Maybe. Or maybe, I will adapt to the car. That's always the way: you stop noticing things after you get used to them.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #21
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Code:
<own.thread.hijack>
I code my own car, but am not willing to take the responsibility of coding anyone else's.

I have suggested, however, to people in the Boston BMWCCA that we should have a coding group, which I'd be happy to participate in.

That has met with deafening silence. I love the BMWCCA -- and believe everyone here should belong. But the club is focused on older cars and neo-Luddites hold sway.

So, if you are in New England and you want to learn how to code your F30, go to the club website (http://boston-bmwcca.org/) or Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/BMWCCA.Boston) and make a comment to that effect. Maybe that'll make a difference. The club is always talking about ways to attract new members. Seems to me a coding SIG would bring in a few F10/F30 newbies.

Some of the features I've enabled in my F30 are just awesome and useful, especially actual tire pressure/temperature and weather band. I would love my car a little less if I didn't have these things now. And I'll bet a bunch more people would like these things, too.

Coding has been proven to be "safe and effective" for F30 owners. I think the best way to spread the news is via the BMW CCA.

Code:
</own.thread.hijack>
RE: Hijack:
I agree with you regarding not taking any responsibility when coding other peoples cars. I always tell people that are interested that I will not touch their car and I take no responsibility if something goes wrong. What I do is let them use my cable and laptop. They plug it in, and they do the coding themselves while I show them what to do, step-by-step. If they are not willing to do that, I suggest that they go to a shop to have it done. I've done about 12 F30's cars so far that way and never had a problem.

I also agree that the little extra things that coding provides are the cherry on top of the ice cream; TPMS, mirrors, phone ringtone, etc make the whole experience better.

[off soapbox]
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #22
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
RE: Hijack:
I agree with you regarding not taking any responsibility when coding other peoples cars. I always tell people that are interested that I will not touch their car and I take no responsibility if something goes wrong. What I do is let them use my cable and laptop. They plug it in, and they do the coding themselves while I show them what to do, step-by-step. If they are not willing to do that, I suggest that they go to a shop to have it done. I've done about 12 F30's cars so far that way and never had a problem.

I also agree that the little extra things that coding provides are the cherry on top of the ice cream; TPMS, mirrors, phone ringtone, etc make the whole experience better.

[off soapbox]
Frogman, you're a good guy, letting people use your equipment. I guess I wouldn't mind lending folks the cable -- but actually using my PC seems a bridge too far for my tastes.

It seems to me that folks who want to code their cars need to be able to do it themselves. What just happened to me -- a dealer re-program -- wipes the customizations (a good thing, actually). That means that once you code someone's car and they get addicted to having all this cool stuff, they'll be back again and again to "borrow" your stuff. The more you do it for folks, the more likely something will happen to piss off the recipient of your largess.

It's nice to help your fellow brother out, of course. But this isn't a one-time thing. It's a long-term relationship. And like the relative who comes to "visit" for a year, it could be hard to reset expectations.
Appreciate 0