F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Road bike advice
Studio RSR

06-23-2020, 08:50 AM   #551
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
I will just say that between family and work it's really difficult to find the time, ideally I'd like to be doing three rides a week short/medium/long (20/40/60 miles).
Thats why am loving commuting to work on the eBike. Distances aren't long, a few miles, but a few miles twice a day quickly gets you fit. Plus on sunny days like today if I can get away early ill take the scenic route home .

Also it was an excuse to put the n+1 bike theroy into practice, with the blessing from my wife.
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2020, 09:44 AM   #552
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
I will just say that between family and work it's really difficult to find the time, ideally I'd like to be doing three rides a week short/medium/long (20/40/60 miles).
Thats why am loving commuting to work on the eBike. Distances aren't long, a few miles, but a few miles twice a day quickly gets you fit. Plus on sunny days like today if I can get away early ill take the scenic route home .

Also it was an excuse to put the n+1 bike theroy into practice, with the blessing from my wife.
Absolutely, the commute by bike is a brilliant way to build fitness/performance.

The funny thing is, I've saved the best part of three hours per day in commuting by car now that I am wfh, but with an early start to do stuff before meetings, then meetings stretching from 8 to 6 with very few gaps, I actually seem to be exactly as time poor as when I was commuting.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 09:52 AM   #553
Ridg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Also ... tyres.

Anyone actually gone tubeless? I feel it's big jump to make. What do you carry for spare, silly question but do you actually carry a tyre or does it make it almost possible to limp home if you keep deflating a bit?
2 of my 3 road bikes are tubless, if not had any punctures yet so can't comment; I've been on rides where people have punctured and they sealed so your mileage may vary. The main benefit is rolling resistance, should be more puncture resistant and you've the option to not carry spare tubes (gamble).

I'm using Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Season on my winter / training bike and GP5000 on my summer bike, in all honesty there's not really a noticeable difference in the 2, the contis are lighter but a complete pain to fit, so I'd probably go Hutchinson when they wear out.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17503.50
      06-23-2020, 10:13 AM   #554
Ridg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Quote:

Was checking out the low end Edge Garmin and didn't realise they could show you gear selection too on an electronic set. Not essential but pretty handy. Think it's hot to be Di2.

Question on that, I think it's a yes. On configuring shifters could you set up right hand to drop down a gear and left to drop up a gear? This moving away from right rear and left front mech?

If you do this are there a few cross over gears where int be middle ranges it changes up down the front derailleur a few times as the ratios are close? I think I described that badly. Also assume Di2 does a little auto trimming of the front as you move through the rear cassette, don't need Dura Ace for this.
you need the di2 wireless transmitter, but you can assign the "hidden" buttons (top of the hoods) to do stuff on the garmin e.g. turn your lights on and off, change screens (handy with winter gloves) or whatever. In terms of changing gears you can have it sequential e.g. it changes the front and rear mech as required to move up or down the ratios or traditional in that you control the front and rear with different shifters, trimming is handled automatically.

Personally I stuck with R8000 ultegra mechanical as the new dura ace is meant to be 12 speed bringing it inline with SRAM, but given any trickle-down wouldn't be for at least another year Di2 ultegra should be a sound investment
Appreciate 3
JustChris17503.50
      06-23-2020, 10:28 AM   #555
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridg View Post
Quote:

Was checking out the low end Edge Garmin and didn't realise they could show you gear selection too on an electronic set. Not essential but pretty handy. Think it's hot to be Di2.

Question on that, I think it's a yes. On configuring shifters could you set up right hand to drop down a gear and left to drop up a gear? This moving away from right rear and left front mech?

If you do this are there a few cross over gears where int be middle ranges it changes up down the front derailleur a few times as the ratios are close? I think I described that badly. Also assume Di2 does a little auto trimming of the front as you move through the rear cassette, don't need Dura Ace for this.
you need the di2 wireless transmitter, but you can assign the "hidden" buttons (top of the hoods) to do stuff on the garmin e.g. turn your lights on and off, change screens (handy with winter gloves) or whatever. In terms of changing gears you can have it sequential e.g. it changes the front and rear mech as required to move up or down the ratios or traditional in that you control the front and rear with different shifters, trimming is handled automatically.

Personally I stuck with R8000 ultegra mechanical as the new dura ace is meant to be 12 speed bringing it inline with SRAM, but given any trickle-down wouldn't be for at least another year Di2 ultegra should be a sound investment
Thanks again for the time to reply.
      06-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #556
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridg View Post
2 of my 3 road bikes are tubless, if not had any punctures yet so can't comment; I've been on rides where people have punctured and they sealed so your mileage may vary. The main benefit is rolling resistance, should be more puncture resistant and you've the option to not carry spare tubes (gamble).

I'm using Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Season on my winter / training bike and GP5000 on my summer bike, in all honesty there's not really a noticeable difference in the 2, the contis are lighter but a complete pain to fit, so I'd probably go Hutchinson when they wear out.
I have tubeless on my Cervelo R3 in the form of Mavic Cosmic Carbon pros and think they are very good as above I have not had a puncture yet but should hopefully seal themselves with the goo that's inside. But you can get the worm kits and co2 pump if you need..

Last edited by mikeoz; 06-23-2020 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 2
JustChris17503.50
      06-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #557
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks again for the time to reply.
Agree with this +1 Latest Ultegra is very good...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 11:16 AM   #558
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

New bike day, took delivery of my new commuter steed. A BMC Alpenchallenge 01 Four. Been out for a few miles shakedown and it feels nice and quick. Single 40T chainring up front and 11-42T cassette (SRAM Apex1). Should be plenty for my needs. Bike weighs 10.06kg.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
JustChris17503.50
Rbrown2765.50
mikeoz2856.00
Ridg205.00
      06-23-2020, 11:55 AM   #559
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post
New bike day, took delivery of my new commuter steed. A BMC Alpenchallenge 01 Four. Been out for a few miles shakedown and it feels nice and quick. Single 40T chainring up front and 11-42T cassette (SRAM Apex1). Should be plenty for my needs. Bike weighs 10.06kg.
Looks lovely. It's an option I'm looking at once stock comes back!

Keen to hear how you like it!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #560
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Quote:

Not sure how tall you are but Tredz have mediums in stock now. I'm 6 foot and large is perfect. Just need to play around with the stem to get my ideal riding position but happy with the bike so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #561
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Quote:

Not sure how tall you are but Tredz have mediums in stock now. I'm 6 foot and large is perfect. Just need to play around with the stem to get my ideal riding position but happy with the bike so far.
Great. I'm 6 foot too. So need a large.

It looks a great bike!

Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 05:44 AM   #562
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

What a day for it today. Decided to head out early to avoid wind and crowds and well...I'm on holiday!

Tried being semi scientific with a negative split ride. Warm air, no wind. Top day for decent speed on the flats. (Bear in mind I'm as aero as a brick sitting near upright on this)
Attached Images

06-24-2020, 08:05 AM   #563
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Did a nice easy 55km this morning before it got too hot.

Got my nutrition and drinking sorted now. Had something to eat at 90 minutes and was sipping one bottle of water and one bottle with electrolytes all the way round even when I didn't feel thirsty.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Rbrown2765.50
mikeoz2856.00
      06-25-2020, 04:43 AM   #564
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Interesting comments about how the Emonda rides (6:25 mark), maybe explains why am so pleasantly surprised how my 2011 Madone rides. Having not ridden any of current 'modern' carbon framed machines but I would say 'fun' is absolutely how I describe climbing up a hill on the Madone even though the Strava will say my electric hybrid bike actually isn't that much slower. The 'feel' is totally different.

Found this comparison between the original Trek 5500 frameset with their current topspec range, quite amazingly that the original frameset was within 200grams of the current. I think with road bikes its pretty clear paying top ££££ for a good frameset from a big brand is money well spent.

Sadly it means my justification for swapping my 10 year old Trek is even less than before, but I might treat my self to a new Ultegra crankset at somepoint .

Appreciate 2
mikeoz2856.00
JustChris17503.50
      06-25-2020, 05:17 AM   #565
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Really interesting video thanks.
As you say spending big money keeps it up to date really. The Retro was such a top end spec for it's day it Def helped...

That new Madone however ...mmmmhhhhh
Muchos ££££

Last edited by mikeoz; 06-25-2020 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 06:02 AM   #566
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

In case anyone was in doubt, I can confirm that it's chuffing hot today!

Just got back, just 37km today but drank 2 litres of water over it, now drinking an ice cold can of Coke and I haven't needed a wee!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 07:44 AM   #567
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
In case anyone was in doubt, I can confirm that it's chuffing hot today!

Just got back, just 37km today but drank 2 litres of water over it, now drinking an ice cold can of Coke and I haven't needed a wee!
Iv been out every day this week and last weekend so thought I would have today off...ish....went on X Trainer about 8.20am then some weights. I was sweating before I even got into X Trainer...
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2020, 03:21 PM   #568
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 2017 335d black

yes hot today. I took the longer way home.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
JR16641146.50
      06-26-2020, 08:04 AM   #569
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Can anyone recommend a roof bike carrier? I have Thule Wingbars so was looking at Thule. I have been told that as the bike is Carbon I should use the versions that lock the front forks by removing the front wheel such as this one....https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rac...tride-_-561000

Advice welcome ?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 08:12 AM   #570
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 2017 335d black

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
Can anyone recommend a roof bike carrier? I have Thule Wingbars so was looking at Thule. I have been told that as the bike is Carbon I should use the versions that lock the front forks by removing the front wheel such as this one....https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rac...tride-_-561000

Advice welcome ?
I've have two carbon bikes. Road and a mountain bike. Not sure why they advise the forks mounted variety. I doubt you can crush the carbon tubes. Ive never marked the paint either.

I have these. No complaints. I've driven to Italy with them on these and all good.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rac...oride-_-598001

Once they are on the roof loading bikes is easy. Its a bit of a faff putting the roof rack and bike racks on but they are bomber when on. I don't think there is a better option?
Appreciate 1
mikeoz2856.00
      06-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #571
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashollie View Post
I've have two carbon bikes. Road and a mountain bike. Not sure why they advise the forks mounted variety. I doubt you can crush the carbon tubes. Ive never marked the paint either.

I have these. No complaints. I've driven to Italy with them on these and all good.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rac...oride-_-598001

Once they are on the roof loading bikes is easy. Its a bit of a faff putting the roof rack and bike racks on but they are bomber when on. I don't think there is a better option?
Thanks for that yeah I was looking at those ones also. I think they mainly meant the wheel holding type ones to avoid...?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 12:37 PM   #572
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post

Advice welcome ?
I'm all down recommending products, it's a mi Enfield in here

One thing I will say is yes it might be marginally better to transport a bike like that but the Thule 591 type bike carriers that hold the downtime. I've had all sorts of carbon bikes in there.

Don't fret about any horror stories around those type of carriers.