F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > NBT Professional crashing/rebooting
ARMA SPEED

06-11-2021, 05:27 AM   #1
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

NBT Professional crashing/rebooting

The positive with old cars that have less tech is there's a lot less to break, even if you can't stream your music or change the hue of your interior lights...

So after getting my car back from BMW last week I've had a number of occasions where the headunit has gone black, clicked (like something powering down) and then restarted with the BMW screen etc. That's an irritation but after it then seems unable to connect to my phone for media until the car gets switched off and left for an hour or so.

Now I know things happen coincidentally so I'm not blaming the dealer or bodyshop etc, just curious to see if there's anything that they may have done in plugging the car in which could have caused this, or if sitting for a while might do it (my old FFRR hated sitting and would get all manner of electrical gremlins when battery charge dropped even slightly), or if it's down to a recent software update on the iPhone.

Any helpful hints as to what troubleshooting I could do?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 11:26 AM   #2
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
If the car is under warranty take it back and have the dealer look at it.

If it's is not I would check or have the car checked over for any fault codes with something like the Bimmerlink app you can also check the battery power level with this too. Make a note of any codes flagged and clear them.

This might resolve any issues or when you scan again may highlight the fault further.

If it as phone connection/streaming issue that is happening when it reboots, I would also check if it needs a software update by putting your vin in here https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html this has fixed any issue I've ever had with BMW head units and phones
      06-11-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Unfortunately not under the manufacturers warranty but the extended one so a £100 excess to get stuff fixed, hence wondering if it was actually something they'd done or just coincidence given I've not driven it much recently and I'm sure my phone has had software updates in the last 4 weeks. Unfortunately as it's under warranty Bimmercode ain't really an option either.

I'd forgotten about the HU updates so I just checked and there is one available so I'll see if I can find my USB stick to sort it.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 05:33 PM   #4
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
Unfortunately not under the manufacturers warranty but the extended one so a £100 excess to get stuff fixed, hence wondering if it was actually something they'd done or just coincidence given I've not driven it much recently and I'm sure my phone has had software updates in the last 4 weeks. Unfortunately as it's under warranty Bimmercode ain't really an option either.

I'd forgotten about the HU updates so I just checked and there is one available so I'll see if I can find my USB stick to sort it.

Cheers!
Definitly try the update and in that case with having the warranty, I would take it back & have a chat as you've only just got it back and in the very worst case it will be just the £100 excess.
      06-15-2021, 01:58 AM   #5
jbeer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport Shadow Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post

Cheers!
I would try deleting all phones that are saved to the car then update then HU plus on your phones go to your Bluetooth Settings and forget the connection then once the HU has updated start with a clean slate

Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00