F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bimmercode/link Beware
GetBMWParts

08-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #89
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryD View Post
I don’t understand why the dealers don’t offer coding services. Easy money for them surely?

Cheers
Rory
Never say never this tightening up could be the start before the BMW charge monthly/yearly for anything/everything comes into force.
      08-28-2020, 11:16 AM   #90
g9icy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryD View Post
I don’t understand why the dealers don’t offer coding services. Easy money for them surely?

Cheers
Rory
I've heard of people having some small retrofits done at the dealer, but don't know much more than that?

I'll be returning mine back to stock (at least, reverting the coding, not sure I cba putting the original mirrors back on).

I've just had my extended warranty letter asking if I want it... Given I'm still in two minds whether to keep the car I'd at a bare minimum like to remain in a position to give the car back before sept 21...or VT...

Damn them!!! I like my folding mirrors!!!

Thankfully I've not remapped it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 03:46 AM   #91
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

I've just recently purchased a 2018 G30 540i and have been looking into getting SLI fitted/coded.

Thinking, do I just wait till March 2021 when the 3 year warranty finishes.

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 06:37 AM   #92
SW6Steve
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

I haven't read through the entire post yet, so apologise if this has been covered.
Can I reset all the BimmerCode coding back to standard and be fine with extended warranty?
Or will they be able to detect coding has occurred anyway?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 07:33 AM   #93
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

You will be found.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #94
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW6Steve View Post
I haven't read through the entire post yet, so apologise if this has been covered.
Can I reset all the BimmerCode coding back to standard and be fine with extended warranty?
Aside from speculation, nobody has confirmed that yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 12:39 PM   #95
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW6Steve View Post
Aside from speculation, nobody has confirmed that yet.
Was told there's an increasing number of owners/leasers coming up against this so until someone who has removed their coding and still been informed we cannot be certain but from what the service manager said it's pretty clear they now have something in place now that can see what non dealership setups & apps/dongles cannot.

Who knows why this approach has changed is it because of an incoming approach like connected drive subscriptions to pay to have features enabled approach? Or is it following that youtube idiot with the M4 who has upset them enough to make it a priority to clamp down knowing there will be a lot out there modding/damaging their assets whilst in financial agreements signed in agreement not to make any changes?
      08-30-2020, 05:24 PM   #96
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

I wonder if having a BMW approved fix/upgrade that wipes out preexisting coding would put the car back on BMWs good list?

For example, when I took mine in for its MPPSK. When I picked it up I noticed that all (actually, I only had the current speed in dash) had gone. So I assume the MPPSK software wipes all non standard codes and resets it all. ? July this year.

They never mentioned anything about coding and if the car had been flagged or not.

I guess I'll only know when the time comes to either claim on the warranty or renew it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 08:52 PM   #97
damack
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medslow View Post
I wonder if having a BMW approved fix/upgrade that wipes out preexisting coding would put the car back on BMWs good list?

For example, when I took mine in for its MPPSK. When I picked it up I noticed that all (actually, I only had the current speed in dash) had gone. So I assume the MPPSK software wipes all non standard codes and resets it all. ? July this year.

They never mentioned anything about coding and if the car had been flagged or not.

I guess I'll only know when the time comes to either claim on the warranty or renew it.
Same thing happened to me earlier this year after a service. Everything done by Bimmercode was restored to factory. Not a word said to me, nothing written on the service sheet.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 05:37 AM   #98
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Hi guys I have made some bimmercode changes on x3m such as led light colours and triviality like that.

I got a few recalls to do it seems. Should I revert back to backup original config?

I also have CarPlay full screen. I had my RIS in feb I think and it's due a service next July 2021. Not sure what to do.

Thanks

"As part of ongoing quality analysis at BMW, it has been established that you have an outstanding safety campaign that requires completion:

Program control units (DME
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 09:28 AM   #99
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
Hi guys I have made some bimmercode changes on x3m such as led light colours and triviality like that.

I got a few recalls to do it seems. Should I revert back to backup original config?

I also have CarPlay full screen. I had my RIS in feb I think and it's due a service next July 2021. Not sure what to do.

Thanks

"As part of ongoing quality analysis at BMW, it has been established that you have an outstanding safety campaign that requires completion:

Program control units (DME
Your CarPlay full screen is a hack, not coding.
If you have a software update done at the dealer, REMOVE YOUR FULL SCREEN FIRST!
If you don't, you're in for a world of pain & I believe it could even mean a new HU.
RustyBitz1573.50
      08-31-2020, 10:28 AM   #100
M2Andy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01

So going forward, any of us looking to buy an AUC but who want bimmercode tweaks should do them during an extended unaccompanied test drive and then leave it a few days before doing the deal. The coding was there when I bought the car init guv
Appreciate 3
Junebug851613.50
RustyBitz1573.50
      08-31-2020, 12:33 PM   #101
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
Your CarPlay full screen is a hack, not coding.
If you have a software update done at the dealer, REMOVE YOUR FULL SCREEN FIRST!
If you don't, you're in for a world of pain & I believe it could even mean a new HU.
Thanks I did ask Kubax86 here and he thinks I should be ok as I had CarPlay from factory, it was the full screen hack (as you noted).
On the coding front prior to service I will reset to default.

I did have the run in service ok, also just a few months ago the car was on diagnostics with no fault codes found due to a head on with a hub cap! knocked out a wheel speed sensor.

Will defo make me think again the future re: coding or any changes for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 05:54 PM   #102
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

It's just the full screen that's the actual hack, not the CarPlay itself.
It puts in certain fake codes, some of which are dummy FSC codes.
If BMW do a software update on it, it will almost certainly render the HU useless, as the original factory FSC's have been replaced. And once the update process is initialised, they're non-recoverable.
There are previous threads on this.
Bottom line is make sure you return to stock display prior to any chance of an official software update.
      08-31-2020, 11:59 PM   #103
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
If BMW do a software update on it, it will almost certainly render the HU useless, as the original factory FSC's have been replaced. And once the update process is initialised, they're non-recoverable.
Bottom line is make sure you return to stock display prior to any chance of an official software update.
Headunits are recoverable with the right tools but if you have the ability to restore to factory before a dealer visit then you should do so or request no software updates.

The full screen "hack" will just be wiped during a software update, other HU functions won't be affected.
Appreciate 1
dazzapb1050.00
      09-01-2020, 02:54 PM   #104
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

I had my car in today at the dealership to check the HU for any fault codes etc. I have folding mirrors, B&O sound, Auto start-stop coded off. I did used to have ASD off, which I returned to stock as that throws a code on the ASD ecu.
I was with the tech when he connected the car to ista to read codes and troubleshoot some stuff. Nothing flagged out on his end at all about the coding. He did mention that if your car is remapped, that flag up straight away and the vehicle black flagged with BMW with no warranty for drive train etc.
Another thing he mentioned was car play being activated 'without proper BMW channels' and the iDrive system can then get bricked, used to require replacements, but now they're recoverable, albeit it costing around £500 or so, as opposed to £2k for a replacement.
Appreciate 2
muniz_ri447.50
M2Andy225.00
      09-01-2020, 04:25 PM   #105
badgerbrock72
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i M-Sport

Interesting, which dealer was this?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 04:09 AM   #106
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryPuff View Post
I had my car in today at the dealership to check the HU for any fault codes etc. I have folding mirrors, B&O sound, Auto start-stop coded off. I did used to have ASD off, which I returned to stock as that throws a code on the ASD ecu.
I was with the tech when he connected the car to ista to read codes and troubleshoot some stuff. Nothing flagged out on his end at all about the coding. He did mention that if your car is remapped, that flag up straight away and the vehicle black flagged with BMW with no warranty for drive train etc.
Another thing he mentioned was car play being activated 'without proper BMW channels' and the iDrive system can then get bricked, used to require replacements, but now they're recoverable, albeit it costing around £500 or so, as opposed to £2k for a replacement.
The headunits are not bricked, they just have an FSC code mismatch. Again, with the right tools this can be sorted for a lot less than £500.

The BMW Tech is referring to FASTA Data - when ISTA is plugged into the car, it logs everything and in a verbose manner, meaning that it will check the software signatures and checksums against BMW's servers, if there is a mismatch then it will get flagged for tampering.
Appreciate 3
RustyBitz1573.50
dazzapb1050.00
      09-02-2020, 02:19 PM   #107
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbles View Post
Quote:
Headunits are recoverable with the right tools but if you have the ability to restore to factory before a dealer visit then you should do so or request no software updates.

The full screen "hack" will just be wiped during a software update, other HU functions won't be affected.
Hi wibbles you see very knowledgeable here I am about to book in DME recall update tomorrow on x3m with idrive6 . I intend to revert minor coding changes.
They may do an update to the software not sure in that case should I try and revert car play full screen hack? Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 03:09 AM   #108
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Quote:
Hi wibbles you see very knowledgeable here I am about to book in DME recall update tomorrow on x3m with idrive6 . I intend to revert minor coding changes.
They may do an update to the software not sure in that case should I try and revert car play full screen hack? Cheers
Depending on which full screen hack was installed, you can just code Carplay_fullscreen = Nicht Aktiv.

They should not pick the change up when they flash the car if you have Carplay from factory/via connected drive store - if it was from a 3rd party then they will pick it up if you don't revert.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 05:32 AM   #109
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Depending on which full screen hack was installed, you can just code Carplay_fullscreen = Nicht Aktiv.

They should not pick the change up when they flash the car if you have Carplay from factory/via connected drive store - if it was from a 3rd party then they will pick it up if you don't revert.
Thanks I had to run a bmw app on windows IIRC using enet cable. And enter a 10 Digit Code. Not sure if that's changes things.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 07:03 AM   #110
Sullym6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not got it yet

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks I had to run a bmw app on windows IIRC using enet cable. And enter a 10 Digit Code. Not sure if that's changes things.
That is carplay via 3rd party, if you run the app again it will revert to how it was before.
It is very important you do this as you will be using patched fsc codes
Appreciate 1
dazzapb1050.00