F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > DIY backup camera install (1-2 hr install!)
Extreme Powerhouse

02-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #1
jlorenzo125
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sportline

DIY backup camera install (1-2 hr install!)

I recently saw a video by Kies Motorsports (I suggest you follow him on youtube) on how to install a backup camera on any car. My bmw did not come with a back up camera so i decided to do it myself. I purchased AUTO VOX A1 Uber Rotating Front Camera Dual Recording Stream Media Mirror Dash Cam. This model also has front dash cam with sd card recording. All it took was tapping into the reverse light wire, mounting the camera behind plate frame and running wire through the rubber trunk handle, hiding all the cabling in between top trunk liner and feeding in through the inside of plastic covers of trunk arms, hiding it in the top weather stripping of doors and column areas. Power feed to camera comes from the 12v input by cup holder, this cable was also hid above my pedals area up through weather stripping interior around up top headliner area. When car is placed in reverse, it automatically makes the rear view mirror screen light up to the rear view camera. Video quality is excellent, the picture of the rear view imaging doesn't do it justice (pics taken with my phone)
Overall very easy process. 1-2 hr install.
What's also very cool is that you can turn on the rear view camera even while driving for a constant view of rear.
NO ERROR CODES APPEARED WITH THIS INSTALL

Positap is needed to tap into a rear back up light wire. (black/blue wire for passenger side, black/purple wire for driver side)

Last edited by jlorenzo125; 02-18-2019 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 2