F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Differences in charge pipes (not the same topic as before)
proTUNING Freaks

02-21-2019, 11:00 AM   #1
Stopsign32v
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mach 1

Differences in charge pipes (not the same topic as before)

A pipe is a pipe, pick on...I know.

But

After looking at them I'm not so sure that is the correct answer. I actually came across this as an accident as I was looking into which charge pipes have a spot for meth/water port. Anyways...

Look at these two charge pipes. They clearly are not the same and that leads me to wonder if one would possibly give more performance than the other.

https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-charge...0-f30-n55.html

vrsf has a very standard size it's whole length.

https://x-ph.com/evolution-racewerks...rge-pipes-n55/

Evolution has a large step up in size after the intercooler. (if I'm looking at it the right way)

Anyways I just found that interesting.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Those don't function differently. They do the same exact thing, and neither adds any measurable "performance". They only give you peace of mind.

In any case they differ because one set may or may not account for a vacuum port that autos need. This way they produce one pipe for both manual and auto. The other doesn't, and I believe that's ER. They manufacture two separate CPS, one for auto,one for manual.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
Stopsign32v
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Those don't function differently. They do the same exact thing, and neither adds any measurable "performance".
Piping diameter will act differently in both volume and velocity. That is physics

So in that sense they function differently but their overall function of moving air is the same. So I'm not sure which way you were talking.

One thing worth noting is throttle body size and piping size matters much much more with a draw through setup vs push through setup. Not sure how much that would matter here plus the size of the throttle body would also come into play. Would make for an interesting test IMO. It's along the same lines as larger intercooler piping making a positive or negative change.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

The diameter isn't that different than the oe part. Regardless the cp was never a bottleneck so there isn't any lost "performance" to regain. Moreover, the little oe turbo can't push more volume than the cp can handle.

Since the major difference is just material elasticity, you could possibly measure the delta in throttle response. You'd need to be able measure thay with enough fidelity to see a diff, however I believe it's quite insignificant. GL
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
swreefkeeper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
The biggest difference is what intercooler are you going with? If you think you might want an ER than go with the ER charge pipe. If you are going for VRSF intercooler than go with a VRSF charge pipe. I believe people have had issues with the ER pipe and the Wagner intercooler if I remember correctly. I personally went all ER including downpipe and have been happy. Yes it could be done cheaper, but Im happy.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
Stopsign32v
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
The diameter isn't that different than the oe part. Regardless the cp was never a bottleneck so there isn't any lost "performance" to regain. Moreover, the little oe turbo can't push more volume than the cp can handle.

Since the major difference is just material elasticity, you could possibly measure the delta in throttle response. You'd need to be able measure thay with enough fidelity to see a diff, however I believe it's quite insignificant. GL
Yep, you nailed it on the head. Does anyone know the max cfm of the stock turbo at max psi using say, meth or e30? Also ps2 numbers would be interesting as well.

Obviously stock or just bolt ons wouldn’t matter but can anyone say for sure this test hasn’t happened with meth, e85 mix, or ps2 maxed out? Also in a meth setup or e85 mix is it added boost or is it strictly more timing allowance in the tune?

The one good thing I see is the piping appears to be short. Shorter the better for power and response.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #7
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by swreefkeeper View Post
The biggest difference is what intercooler are you going with? If you think you might want an ER than go with the ER charge pipe. If you are going for VRSF intercooler than go with a VRSF charge pipe. I believe people have had issues with the ER pipe and the Wagner intercooler if I remember correctly. I personally went all ER including downpipe and have been happy. Yes it could be done cheaper, but Im happy.
Im running ER charge pipe with Wagner EVO Comp 2 and had no fitment issues.

I believe you are referring to VRSF intercooler not matching with other brand Charge pipes.
      02-21-2019, 01:49 PM   #8
swreefkeeper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
Im running ER charge pipe with Wagner EVO Comp 2 and had no fitment issues.

I believe you are referring to VRSF intercooler not matching with other brand Charge pipes.
That could very well be the case. I just remember there was a fitment issue between two different companies.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #9
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post

But

After looking at them I'm not so sure that is the correct answer. I actually came across this as an accident as I was looking into which charge pipes have a spot for meth/water port. Anyways...

Look at these two charge pipes. They clearly are not the same and that leads me to wonder if one would possibly give more performance than the other.

Evolution has a large step up in size after the intercooler. (if I'm looking at it the right way)

I compared these 2 and the FTP brand kit because they claimed to offer both Charge Pipe and Turbo Pipe for a little more.

I decided to get the VRSP because it was cheaper and highly reviewed on here. The FTP was cheap and looked good, but I figured the fitment probably would not be as precise.

I am going to be running the BMS upgrade intercooler because its cheap and I dont plan on changing out my turbo anytime soon. Maybe someday.

Ill be damned, I just checked again and they have upgraded their website interface to include drop downs for both RWD/AWD and 8A/6MT !!!!! Well maybe they do know what they are doing, I just didn't feel confident back when I ordered based on their website, pictures and lack of reviews. I didn't want to count on these pipes to repair my car and then they not fit.

https://www.ftpmotorsport.com.tw/pro...n-packages-1-1

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #10
Spaceme1117
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post

But

Won't be any difference in performance. Its just a slightly different design between the two.

Both look to be high quality and I would not hesitate to purchase either one.
Appreciate 0