F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Exhaust route ? Which option and why ?
Extreme Powerhouse

04-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Exhaust route ? Which option and why ?

Hi all,

My friend had a M135i and he had a JB4, straight through down pipe and a M performance back box - to me the car was the perfect balance between loud, tone and ability to shut it up when needed.

I have a 340i, i know its a different engine and also has an extra resonator in the system.
Im looking for something similar, but unsure how to go about it.

Currently i have straight through down pipe waiting to go on, but i know it wont be loud enough so the next route is what im needing help on.

Do i ether;
A) swap out the resonated mid pipe for a straight through one and keep the stock back box?

B) mod the rear box so when the valve is open it is straight through, but keep the resonators in the mid pipe

Im not after something mega loud but i don't mind loud if i can still utilize the valved back box to shut it up if its annoying me!

Clips of the following would be awesome but i know you struggle to get an idea of volume !

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 01:44 PM   #2
Ahanix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

I would try a mid pipe first to see if it’s loud enough for you. After the mid pipe you could go for something like the m performance exhaust (not to be confused with the mppsk exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #3
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep

i didnt think the m performance exhaust had the valve control on it?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 03:01 PM   #4
F3085258
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I have been debating my exhaust as well. I am putting on a catless VRSF DP shortly. I like it loud but also want quiet for hiway and driving in my neighbourhood.

I have decided to make my own custom set up similar to the AFE Mach Force XP. Going to put a Y with an electric cut out in just before the exhaust goes into the muffler and route to the drivers side tail pipe. Enlarge the tail pipe to 80mm and put larger tips on both sides.

Then I can open valve to basically have a straight pipe and close for quiet. Reason for forgoing the factory valve is that i want to be able to open the exhaust up in comfort and not just in sport.

I have had several valved exhausts, an IPE on my E90 M3 and Varex universal mufflers on my Jeep SRT, Mustang track car and 350Z drift car. Problem with Varex is the valves can't handle winter road salt and the valves seize.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3085258 View Post
I have been debating my exhaust as well. I am putting on a catless VRSF DP shortly. I like it loud but also want quiet for hiway and driving in my neighbourhood.

I have decided to make my own custom set up similar to the AFE Mach Force XP. Going to put a Y with an electric cut out in just before the exhaust goes into the muffler and route to the drivers side tail pipe. Enlarge the tail pipe to 80mm and put larger tips on both sides.

Then I can open valve to basically have a straight pipe and close for quiet. Reason for forgoing the factory valve is that i want to be able to open the exhaust up in comfort and not just in sport.

I have had several valved exhausts, an IPE on my E90 M3 and Varex universal mufflers on my Jeep SRT, Mustang track car and 350Z drift car. Problem with Varex is the valves can't handle winter road salt and the valves seize.
I think some companies make stand-alone valve controllers if that's your main concern.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 04:50 PM   #6
F3085258
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3085258 View Post

I think some companies make stand-alone valve controllers if that's your main concern.
The stock exhaust won't be loud enough for me. I have seen posts that guys cut the exhaust open and weld up the perforations, i think it will be less work to do what I am planning.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 05:34 PM   #7
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
i didnt think the m performance exhaust had the valve control on it?
The M performance exhaust (MPE) does not have a valve. It gets eliminated and it comes with a plug to cap off the oem exhaust valve pigtail.
      04-01-2019, 11:29 PM   #8
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
The M performance exhaust (MPE) does not have a valve. It gets eliminated and it comes with a plug to cap off the oem exhaust valve pigtail.
Yeh I thought that, so that’s no use
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 12:07 PM   #9
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

I have dp, Remus exhaust and CG Precision VSC-1 flap valve control. The car sounds stock when it's running on comfort mode with the valve closed.I bought everything from Mike on X-PH.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 02:48 AM   #10
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep

Shipping from the USA would be a killer! I think if going the mid pipe way id just get the box's removed at an exhaust shop
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:51 PM   #11
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Another good valved exhaust option is aFe Power Mach Force-Xp. Comes in either axle-back or cat-back with a mid-pipe (no resonators)

https://afepower.com/afe-power-49-36...exhaust-system

Was eyeing it but decided to go with MPPSK instead. Glad i did as it's got two valves which essentially make it a straight pipe from both exhaust tips when I want it to and puts a smile on my face everytime
      04-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #12
track.n.trail
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
I just had both resonators deleted with a straight through pipe welded in their place and it sounds fantastic. Still quiet enough in comfort mode and louder than stock with more burbles in sport and sport plus. Cold starts are loud now but I'm planning on disabling the cold start cat heating with BM3 tune.

I only paid $75 to have my resonators deleted so it's definitely worth trying before spending much more on a full exhaust or muffler.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:23 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

REMUS sounds the best for me, it aggressive but not too much, no metallic sound, no drone.

For the complete sound on stock downpipe, get the catback version

If you are using catless downpipe, stick to axle back only

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #14
PiiTViiPER
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
REMUS sounds the best for me, it aggressive but not too much, no metallic sound, no drone.

For the complete sound on stock downpipe, get the catback version

If you are using catless downpipe, stick to axle back only
Hi Mike. I am currently looking at the Remus exhaust. Noob question here. So just to be clear there is no difference between having a catback exhaust vs. a catless DP+Axelback exhaust? Or just not enough to justify the cost of a full cat back system?

What about a high flow/ sport-catted DP? Would it be better to get a full catback system in this case? Or still stick with axelback? Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 02:27 PM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiiTViiPER View Post
Hi Mike. I am currently looking at the Remus exhaust. Noob question here. So just to be clear there is no difference between having a catback exhaust vs. a catless DP+Axelback exhaust? Or just not enough to justify the cost of a full cat back system?

What about a high flow/ sport-catted DP? Would it be better to get a full catback system in this case? Or still stick with axelback? Thanks for your time.
In my opinion the full catbac sounds better than axle back + downpipes.
Adding downpipes will add some rasp to the tone of the exhaust.

To get the best of both worlds, get catted + Full catback

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0