F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > f30 alternator pulley locked?
proTUNING Freaks

06-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #1
semih5200
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 3.16i F30

f30 alternator pulley locked?

My car is 2013 model BMW 3.16i, 72.570 km. I delivered my car for routine maintenance to authorized service on May 18, 2019 . After checking, they told me they will get basic maintenance but they also found out there is oil leak from brake vacuum pump, and there is a crack on drive belt(serpentine belt). Even i didn’t have any problem with this car parts before, i accepted to change them with new ones for precaution.
After 18 days on June 5,2019 (drove 500 km) i got screen alert says that “ Car battery could not be charged, park to a safe place immediately”. I parked my car after 300-400 meter to a safe place than i called emergency BMW department, talked with service technical stuff on call. By following the instructions when i checked the car i realized drive belt was broken and there was leakage from a hose. I left my car there on that night. Tomorrow they transport my car to Etkili service with tow truck . After control, they told me the problem was alternator failure. Alternator shaft locked up, then when alternator heats drive belt and broke it. And broken drive belt damage the transmission oil cooler hose which cause oil leakage. They offer me to change alternator, water pump pulley, oil cooler hose, drive belt. They told me there is no faulty workmanship. For them it was tragic coincidence that it happened after changing new drive belt.

I was not sure cause of new belt failure and i didn’t accept to change entire alternator and other parts as service was offered. I already argued with service members and never satisfied with their answers. So i decided to transfer my car to another BMW service(not authorized). As you know, to identify overruning OWD, OAD alternator pulley function, we have to hold and immobilize inner parts or inner ring , and rotate the outer ring. If outer ring does not rotate to any direction then it means that pulley is locked and should be replaced. Also if outer ring rotate to both direction it should be replaced. Normal pulley has one way rotation when the inner part immobilized. Suprisingly when we checked my alternator pulley, it was rotating to one way, so it was fine. So we decide not to touch the alternator, and fixed oil hose, driver belt, belt tensioner, and belt itself. And my car works perfectly. There wasn’t any belt or bearing noise, battery, water temperature, air conditioner allert. I never touched or fixed any part of the alternator, to not to confuse further assigned technical expert while sue does not start. I drove my car for two days and everyting is ok. So this is also prove that my alternator pulley was not locked. Then i revisit authorized service with my repaired car, talked again with techincal stuff members and customer service. The techincal members controled pulley again, and they comfirmed that my alternator pulley rotate to one way while inner part immobilized. But this time they claim that “force for rotating was not smooth enough and this also means pulley was locked”. I didn’t accept this information and we checked healty alternator pulley of random same model car to compare. It was almost same force( for better explain; if i tell my car’s pulley needs 4/5 rotation force, random car needs 3/5). Despite all, the service members didn’t accepted alternator was fine. Also they do not accept that alternator pulley should be checked while new driver belt chaging procedure. After all, i decided to sue this company and Turkish BMW group.

I am looking forward for your reply. Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 01:51 AM   #2
semih5200
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 3.16i F30

any idea?
Appreciate 0