F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Avin USA 10.25 android system install DIY
Extreme Powerhouse

07-15-2018, 05:08 AM   #2157
adrien78
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaps View Post
I just tried to do the install and I'm having two issues:

1. I can't seem to configure the unit to reflect the correct factory system which is resulting in the screen been cut off / unusable on the factory mode. I went into the settings menu using the password 1314 but once I get in there aren't any f30 options, just e60.

2. I'm getting a triangle warning light on the dash. I assume that means that the car is throwing a code?
1. Did you have any fiber optic to plug on the main harness? My 2015 F30 didn't have, and can't use original BMW system too.
I haven't F30 choice in cars on the factory settings.

Do you have same harness config ?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #2158
shaps
Registered
Rep
Drives: Shopping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreding View Post
The correct setting isn't for a f30. I don't remember off hand which one mine is set to but I think it was an F10 or the like. Just try a couple of them.

Your "triangle" shouldn't be from the Avin unit. It will throw a code for the missing display but it will be a hidden code.
Thanks. I think I put on the F48 and that seemed to work. And as Supernova said setting the time got rid of the triangle.

Next round of questions:

Do I need the Carplay adapter to get Android Auto to work?

Am I supposed to have a radio app on the dashboard in the Android side? I saw that in one of the reviews but on mine the only way to access the FM radio is to go into the original car menus.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 02:16 PM   #2159
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

Quote:
Thanks. I think I put on the F48 and that seemed to work. And as Supernova said setting the time got rid of the triangle.

Next round of questions:

Am I supposed to have a radio app on the dashboard in the Android side? I saw that in one of the reviews but on mine the only way to access the FM radio is to go into the original car menus.
I honestly don't use the android side that much. Was more interested in the larger screen. However I do use the android side more on my e90 when I am at the track to display the torque monitoring app.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #2160
richard_wpl
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw F11 2013

Hello and sorry if my question is obvious for everyone. Hope it does not make anyone angry...
I have problem for understanding why my unit does not work in the way it shoud.

I use navigation program on android site. Let say it is google maps. I normaly used to listen to the radio (original BMW site). than I start android navi by using voice command button on stearing weel. I found somewere it should work.... Problem is that Google maps or other navi program does not swith audio input to AUX for moment of anoncing message from navi for direction. I can here only original radio.
When I switch to android site - navi voice works.

I noticed - when I mute voice of original BMW radio I can hear working sticks of relay in android box. I expect it should for that moment switch audio input for navi, than go back to original radio input.

Am I wrong, or why it does not work as it should...
Let me know what you know about this. It is really annoing issue.

Thank you all for help.

Richard
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 10:28 PM   #2161
aclearersky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:

Next round of questions:

I made a video showing how to use android auto without their adapter.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #2162
Sushi Eater
Rep
Drives: F30

Question Rear view camera power cable connection

I have a question about installing the backup camera to an F30. The power cable looks like the one in the picture and I think the thin red and black wires need to be connected to the power source but I don't know where. Can anybody advise?

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 04:02 PM   #2163
plikmuny
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d, 330D(2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Eater View Post
I have a question about installing the backup camera to an F30. The power cable looks like the one in the picture and I think the thin red and black wires need to be connected to the power source but I don't know where. Can anybody advise?

Use your accessory cigarette lighter source under the glove box on the passenger side. That's your best bet I hope. It has worked for me till now without problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #2164
Nickhawk
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Eater View Post

I have connected the red cable from the camera to the red cable coming from the Android head unit (it's for the rear view camera) and the black cable to a steel part above the glove box.
The camera then turns only on if you put in the reverse and the PDC is active.

Don't know of the F30 unit is the same as the F20 unit, but I guess they are similar. Here are is Picture from the manual:
Attached Images

Last edited by Nickhawk; 07-16-2018 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 07:40 AM   #2165
moghm
Private
Rep
Drives: F20, 2012 120d

Guys, what is the latest update for the Gen 1 unit, is it April or is there a May/June one also ? Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:08 PM   #2166
Sushi Eater
Rep
Drives: F30

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikmuny View Post
Use your accessory cigarette lighter source under the glove box on the passenger side. That's your best bet I hope. It has worked for me till now without problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickhawk View Post
I have connected the red cable from the camera to the red cable coming from the Android head unit (it's for the rear view camera) and the black cable to a steel part above the glove box.
The camera then turns only on if you put in the reverse and the PDC is active.

Don't know of the F30 unit is the same as the F20 unit, but I guess they are similar. Here are is Picture from the manual:
Thank you folks!! My kit came in a box with no manual so this is really helpful. The rear view camera was in a plastic bag and the long extension cable for video signal is slightly different from the picture. It has yellow connectors on both ends with a short red wire. In the picture there is only one yellow connector, two red wires and one black. The red wires on my cable are connected, so I bet I can connect one end to the red cable from the unit that says "Camera +12V" and the other end to the camera. Black must be ground.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #2167
Nickhawk
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

@Sushi eater: you have to try it, here are two pictures. The first one is how my camera cables are. Two yellow connectors for the video picture and red and black for the camera power.
On the picture they connect it to the rear light, I tried that but if your PDC is on and you switch from the rear gear to the first or N your display goes black if you connect it to the red power on the head unit the camera and picture stays on even if you are in first gear and PDC is still active.

And there is another picture, but I really don't know what the two read cables are for.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 09:43 PM   #2168
toddyus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickhawk View Post
@Sushi eater: you have to try it, here are two pictures. The first one is how my camera cables are. Two yellow connectors for the video picture and red and black for the camera power.
On the picture they connect it to the rear light, I tried that but if your PDC is on and you switch from the rear gear to the first or N your display goes black if you connect it to the red power on the head unit the camera and picture stays on even if you are in first gear and PDC is still active.

And there is another picture, but I really don't know what the two read cables are for.
Nickhawk, I installed my camera in an E90 without PDC sensors, so I can't guarantee this will work for you, but it may.

The red cable next to the yellow RCA connects to the +12V red wire on the Android harness, the red cable near the camera at the back of the car does not get connected at all. Then, run a separate wire from the brake light harness up to the head unit (see image below) and connect that to the "360 camera det" wire on the Android harness.

Finally, ground the black wire. You can connect it to the chassis or, like I did, connect it to ground in the tail light harness. You'll need to determine which wires are which in the tail light harness. Attached is a photo from my E90. The brown wire is ground, the other is the power for the backup light. This wire provides the signal to the head unit that the car is in reverse and gets wired up to the head unit "360 camera det" wire:

(Note, if there is another source on the F30 to provide a signal when the car is in reverse, you can use that. I just don't know of it.)

I did not need to wire in any type of relay to make this work.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #2169
notsec
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

camera connection

Connect it as shown. There is no need for a cable connection in the reverse lamp.

https://i.hizliresim.com/NOP4Mg.jpg
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 07:07 AM   #2170
plikmuny
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d, 330D(2019)

Can anyone share latest Firmware here pls.
Thanks in Advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 06:48 PM   #2171
J_Tremain
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Sport

Seems like the majority of you guys are using the Android side of things. For those of you who bought it for the CarPlay integration, what's your opinion? I'm debating whether to give this a spin or wait on another reputable company that's here on the boards to release their version of a CarPlay kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 07:40 AM   #2172
nomorebigideas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive20d SE (2011)

@everyone - has anyone figured out a way to disable the auto brightness feature when headlights are on? surely this is a software switch rather than a hardware function?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #2173
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Tremain View Post
Seems like the majority of you guys are using the Android side of things. For those of you who bought it for the CarPlay integration, what's your opinion? I'm debating whether to give this a spin or wait on another reputable company that's here on the boards to release their version of a CarPlay kit.
I use it for car play more so recently. No problems here, for that. If car play is your focus, then there are going to be tweaks that you'll have to do in order to get it to start up faster, load less applications, etc. For example, no need to load up wifi because you're going through your phone. No need to have all the Google crap loading in the background because again, you're going through your phone.

Overall the car play experience has been good, but the problem that you'll have isn't with carplay or how it all works, but the actual unit itself. It's as though each unit various greatly from each other. I had a gen 1 4.4.4 that would shit the bed every drive. They replaced it under warranty after some convincing to the gen 2 4.4.4 and it's been Rock solid.

Personally, if I were to do it all again I would if carplay was my end goal. This unit is in the same ball park as others that only do carplay. My $0.02
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 02:38 PM   #2174
J_Tremain
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Sport

Thanks, I appreciate the review. I just ordered a kit today. Other than having a larger screen, CarPlay was my main focus. I'm anxious to see if any of the new CarPlay updates in iOS 12 work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanKM View Post
I use it for car play more so recently. No problems here, for that. If car play is your focus, then there are going to be tweaks that you'll have to do in order to get it to start up faster, load less applications, etc. For example, no need to load up wifi because you're going through your phone. No need to have all the Google crap loading in the background because again, you're going through your phone.

Overall the car play experience has been good, but the problem that you'll have isn't with carplay or how it all works, but the actual unit itself. It's as though each unit various greatly from each other. I had a gen 1 4.4.4 that would shit the bed every drive. They replaced it under warranty after some convincing to the gen 2 4.4.4 and it's been Rock solid.

Personally, if I were to do it all again I would if carplay was my end goal. This unit is in the same ball park as others that only do carplay. My $0.02
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 08:29 PM   #2175
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
I only use it for CarPlay and it's pretty annoying. You can't use the steering wheel for music fwd/back or to invoke siri. Also you can't use the function buttons to change between CarPlay nav and music. The one positive is that they fixed a VERY annoying bug where you had to touch the screen to make CarPlay the default app for USB. Hopefully they will keep improving the usability issues!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:28 AM   #2176
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
Quote:
I only use it for CarPlay and it's pretty annoying. You can't use the steering wheel for music fwd/back or to invoke siri. Also you can't use the function buttons to change between CarPlay nav and music. The one positive is that they fixed a VERY annoying bug where you had to touch the screen to make CarPlay the default app for USB. Hopefully they will keep improving the usability issues!
I hook my through Bluetooth and control via steering wheel and dial in carplay. I can see that being an issue if you're using aux. You can invoke Siri through native BMW, just have to hold down the voice command longer. If not working then you might have to code it in.

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate the review. I just ordered a kit today. Other than having a larger screen, CarPlay was my main focus. I'm anxious to see if any of the new CarPlay updates in iOS 12 work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanKM View Post

I have the iOS 12 Dev beta and no updates on carplay yet. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:41 AM   #2177
aclearersky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post

Hey if you open the bluetooth app and press the home button to exit out then open the CarPlay app your steering wheel buttons for forward and back will work in the CarPlay app. and the function buttons are locked to their stupid crappy apps. Ive extracted the rom but im not very versed android or programming but im just probing different areas of the rom to see what i can find.

Oh btw just a heads up that people with jailbroken iOS devices Carbridge came out a week ago and you can use any app through CarPlay it does cost 5 dollars though. Ive been using it for my jb4 and it works great
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 05:08 AM   #2178
mirak13
Egypt
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i

AVIN 10.25 Gen 2 Issues

I had originally sent this to the BMW DIY Guy however I am unable to reach him therefore I am addressing my problem to the entire community in the hopes that someone, anyone can help me

I just purchased and installed the 2nd generation of this Head Unit/Screen Android 7.x with 2GB of Ram and 32GB of Memory (this is one has already been replaced for several operation problems.)

Issues:

On the first unit I had heating issues, the unit would over heat and I would lose the image and on occasion the screen would simply display "No Signal"

After deciding that it was a faulty unit the dealer decided to replace it with this new one:

Issues:

1) Google Maps keeps crashing frequently (every five minutes). We updated it however it continues to crash.

2) After 10 minutes of usage the physical volume button as well as those on the steering wheel no-longer work and I have to completely turn off the engine and turn it back on in order for everything to function normally. During that time everything goes haywire music app on android won't stop playing when I switch to I-Drive Radio and I hear both playing at the same time.

The dealer says that he has given up on trying to solve the problems and that I must be very unlucky since it has never happened before, they are offering me two options: A) to downgrade this unit to the older one: Android v. 4.4 with 1GB of Ram and 16GB of Memory.
B) to reimburse me the amount and go on my way.

I am living in Egypt and this dealer is the only one I know that sells these units, if I am reimbursed I will be left with my old stock 6.5inch screen and no options left for me to upgrade and if I down-grade I am afraid that 1GB of Ram might cause me problems further down the road.

Please give me advice as to what to do I am truly lost here.

Thanks
Appreciate 0