F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > NBT2 No Signal after VO change, can't seem to fix
Studio RSR

11-24-2021, 03:59 PM   #1
scottjjr
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2016 f30

NBT2 No Signal after VO change, can't seem to fix

Hi all, recently purchased a japanese imported 2016 F30 in New Zealand.

Fired up esys to change the VO region as per instructions here, and wrote to VCM as wanted to commit the change to the car.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1530331

After the VO change applied I hit 'code' for the NBT2 unit, which gave me 'outofrange' errors and came up with 'no signal' and had the radio playing. Freaked out as you do and reapplied the previous VO and recoded and put it back. This rollback worked, so figured I had missed something in the VO and went to try again.

Bit of research showed the DVD region might be an issue so I changed the VO code for that as well (from region 2 to region 4) and tried again. Also added in 6NR as I wanted to enable BMW apps at some point, and changed 8TM to 8TN as i want to enable DRL as well.

Wrote the new VO and tried coding again, no luck - still out of range errors and no signal, so rolled it back once more. Think I may have tried one or two more times before finding I couldn't seem to roll back it anymore.

I reverted the VO back to original and tried reverting ncd code back to original but now I can't seem to write the original Japan VO file back as every time I try it appears as if it works, but hitting 'code' gives me an error no longer rolls it back to japan and stays stuck with 'no signal' and playing an NZ band radio station, almost like it's still stuck with the Australian/NZ VO code.

When viewing the ECU under coding i get a VIN yyyyyy. I was able to resolve this by detect caf for swe, reading/coding, and applying original, but it still gave me a 'no signal' issue. Latest attempts have it back at yyyyyy again.

When viewing VCM/Read FA I also get a wierd UNKNOWN ecu under 'vehicle profile', and when comparing SVT it shows me an 'identity check: true (actual state) and (false) target state difference under the NBT2 ECU. See picture here for 'UNKNOWN' and identity check

https://ibb.co/JH55dC6

I suspect my issue is a VO issue, but I can't figure it out. When I load/calculate an FA file, the vehicle profile is fine. I then write it, and read FA back from the car, and the UNKNOWN item comes back. I also looked at writing the SVT to see if that would fix the identity check, but this popped up and didn't seem right, so I didn't apply.

https://ibb.co/MCdZXp0

Does anyone know what's going on here, and what my options are to either roll forward to nz/australian region for NBT, or at least recover back to japanese nbt to remove hte 'no signal' issue? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by scottjjr; 11-24-2021 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: images not showing
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 11:08 PM   #2
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

It seems the there is something you might have done which mixed up the fa when deleting salapa elements. It seems there are conflicting vo codes in your fa. Load original fa and code it. When you are changing region in the vo codes check if there are other vo codes that are incompatible with one another.
For no signal fix try changing these settings according to you HU
CID_APIX_MODE: APIX1
CID_COLOR_DEPTH: 18
CID_COM_MODE: spi
CID_DISPLAY_RES: 1280_480
CID_DISPLAY_SIZE: 8_8
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 11:50 PM   #3
scottjjr
New Zealand
Rep

Hi, thanks for the reply. Have tried to reload the original VO and while it looks like it works, when reading it back again i get the 'unknown' ecu. It's wierd. I'll check to make sure it's actually the original VO, but from what I can see it's got the salapas from before the change (japan country, japan language, japan dvd region).

Will try those settings and see if the screen comes back.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 04:46 AM   #4
scottjjr
New Zealand
Rep

Hmm doesnt look like VO is wrong but car seems to not want to code to it or even code the original ncd file which worked the first couple of times. What i can do though is detect caf, read coding and modify and write that back so something in the original ncd must be causing an issue to the units current state now.

Is this the vo/region lock in action ivr read about?

Also tried those screen settings, they got a display back kinda thanks! Although its only half the screen its better than no signal!

More to go. Any ideas/advice?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 05:14 AM   #5
TheNine90
Banned
Rep

what error do you get when you code the nbt?
Try changing the settings until the screen works fine
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 05:28 AM   #6
scottjjr
New Zealand
Rep

I get the same generic error about someting being out of bounds.

I've grabbed both the file that works from detect CAF and the original one and are comparing in an NCD compare tool. Think I'll have to do the hard slog of copying across any differnces from the original to the one that loads until I can figure out what setting is causing an issue.

Am keen to get the VO coding fixed though if anyone can help with that!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 06:18 AM   #7
TheNine90
Banned
Rep

description: Service WDBI_PLAIN returned a negative response with response code requestOutOfRange; LinkName: HU_NBT2_63_ETHERNET
If you keep getting that error when you code the nbt then it is locked and can be unlocked.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 06:58 AM   #8
tiq80
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 330e f30

https://www.flashxcode.com/product/n...coding-unlock/
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 01:03 PM   #9
scottjjr
New Zealand
Rep

Yep thats the error, thanks will have a look!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 05:04 AM   #10
scottjjr
New Zealand
Rep

Right figured out how to get the nbt evo back to a working state as it was before.

Appears after the VO change to AUS country, english language, and importantly AUS dvd region, VO coding stopped being accepted by the unit. This must be the VO lock as no matter what I did it would no longer apply from VO.

At this point trying to apply the original coding failed also as the unit would no longer accept those either, so i could not code the unit back to how it was when i started.

After comparing the files in an fcd compare tool, and copying coding blocks in a text editor between the base one from detect swe with the screen settings above that brought the screen back to life (but other than that codes completly wrong), i was able to pin point the block of code and then the one setting that caused the coding to be rejected.

It was the dvd region. As the last VO the unit accepted was for Aus country, english language, and aus/nz dvd region, the unit was rejecting the original coding that attempts to set it to the Japanese region.

Once changing that to all regions (effectively no region code) the original code file with that tweak was able to be coded, and the unit has come back to life.

Still has VO lock which can be dealt with later (and navigation region as it rejects anything that isnt japan) but at least its going again!

Many thanks for your help and i hope this info helps someone one day.
Appreciate 0