F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > F32 Door unlocks and locks repeatedly while driving
Studio RSR

12-13-2019, 12:58 AM   #1
blackhawkf32
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xdrive

F32 Door unlocks and locks repeatedly while driving

2016 435i coupe

Hey everyone, i came across this issue of door getting unlocked and window rolling down a bit (as it should in a coupe when you open the door) and turning on the interior lights and showing the door open warning on the dashboard and locks itself in sometime and unlocks again and this process of lock and unlock continues while driving which is extremely annoying.

I had this issue when the weather dropped below -5. I tried pushing the beading on the door which works sometimes but it's only temporary and it's only on the driver side door.

I read this is a common issue with the frame less windows in cold weather due to the beading expansion.

Is there a fix for it? Or is this some kind of an issue with the door lock sensors?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 01:13 AM   #2
Ishan99
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkf32 View Post
2016 435i coupe

Hey everyone, i came across this issue of door getting unlocked and window rolling down a bit (as it should in a coupe when you open the door) and turning on the interior lights and showing the door open warning on the dashboard and locks itself in sometime and unlocks again and this process of lock and unlock continues while driving which is extremely annoying.

I had this issue when the weather dropped below -5. I tried pushing the beading on the door which works sometimes but it's only temporary and it's only on the driver side door.

I read this is a common issue with the frame less windows in cold weather due to the beading expansion.

Is there a fix for it? Or is this some kind of an issue with the door lock sensors?
You should take it to the dealer and get them to fix it. They most likely will since it seems like a manufacturer defect. It would most likely be under factory warranty! Doesn't hurt to try
Follow @Black_Lux_Cars on IG
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 08:01 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I doubt that the frame less window has anything to do with it. Stiffening of the overall door weatherstrip could be preventing the door from latching as tight as it should. Have you ever treated your weatherstripping? I do mine yearly to keep them flexible.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #4
blackhawkf32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I doubt that the frame less window has anything to do with it. Stiffening of the overall door weatherstrip could be preventing the door from latching as tight as it should. Have you ever treated your weatherstripping? I do mine yearly to keep them flexible.
I haven't treated the weatherstrip but it's perfectly fine on the passenger side door. The driver side door closes tight enough with the thump, im worried if it's something because of the sensor malfunctioning.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 06:40 PM   #5
blackhawkf32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishan99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkf32 View Post
2016 435i coupe

You should take it to the dealer and get them to fix it. They most likely will since it seems like a manufacturer defect. It would most likely be under factory warranty! Doesn't hurt to try
My warranty got expired last month.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 01:12 PM   #6
motch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440iX Vert, Ind. / MPPSK

Same thing just happened to my 2017 440ix MSport Vert!
Guess she's going to the dealership this week

bummed

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone~

Motch

PS..
Need to add, car was in the garage and everything was fine.
Drove about 5-7 mins (cold outside) and it started to unlock/lock.
Have tried it with the top down (no window/weatherstrip connection) and still doing it.

Last edited by motch; 12-22-2019 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:50 AM   #7
ikehigh05
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xdrive

Update on this issue?

Hey guys, I'm having this exact issue. What was the fix?
Appreciate 0