F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20/N26 DTC P052B/P13C0 right before first CA SMOG test.
Extreme Powerhouse

05-21-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
AtomChan
'12 BMW 328i, '07 SKY, '06 Ion RL, '73 F250, etc.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Stock

N20/N26 DTC P052B/P13C0 right before first CA SMOG test.

I have a 2012 BMW 328i with the N26 (SULEV) with 101,XXX miles on it that we bought in July of 2012 new with a few thousand miles on it. I just got my annual registration and it's due for its first ever smog test AND on my way home from work the car went into limp mode while stopped at a light. I think it probably went into auto stop/start at the light prior to the limp mode event.
I was only a half-mile from home so I limped the car home and pulled codes.
Two codes appeared pending; P052B / P13C0.

The car has been serviced as scheduled since new and is totally stock, (incidentally the only car I own that is stock) unmodified with new plugs, coils and fluids all just done in March. It's my wife's car so it's babied and taken care of better than any other car we own. Prior to this the car started making a different sound that concerned me, but it was extremely sporadic and sounded nearly the same as it does when the car cold starts. Almost like there was a crack in a charge pipe and the engine sound was just louder than normal.

I'm aware of the infamous timing chain issues, but until last week the engine never made a whining sound and of the videos I have watched my engine sounds nothing like the high pitch whine I heard in those videos. Mine sounds more like an old Ford power steering pump going out than what I have heard in the videos.

One thing led to another so I inspected the oil filter and found the oil was darker than I expected for having it changed in March and there was an obvious shimmer of metal in the oil. doh!

So with a P052B Cold Start "A" Camshaft Position Timing Over-retarded Bank 1 and P13C0
does it signal that my engine is near death because the VANOS sheared off or possibly just a clogged VANOS solenoid?

Anyone ever get BMW to warranty something like this under the California SULEV 8 year 150k mile extended emissions warranty? Otherwise it's out of warranty and not going to a dealer...

suggestions, comments.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 01:34 AM   #2
fazi13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Manual

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
You’re in luck. Kies was able to get a new engine and turbo from BMW dealer using the SULEV warranty. It covers vanos too
Appreciate 1
edm0nd23.00