F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Hive
GetBMWParts

12-15-2017, 12:34 PM   #1
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Hive

Awesome, how I’ve lived without this is beyond me, ok so I am a big gadget geek but this is excellent.

To start with I had just the heating and water on it but when we drove past the house the other evening it was obvious nobody was in and after being cleaned out 3 years ago my paranoia got me.

I ordered the bulb for the kitchen and it’s unbelievably easy to use so it’s set to come on at 4pm when it goes dark, you can also dim it from your phone etc or use amazon echo.

Just awesome stuff and I have most gadgets!
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #2
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Agreed. The lights are very helpful!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 01:15 PM   #3
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320D X-Drive

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
i thought this was about band The Hives

Current Ride: 2020 G20 M340i in Metallic Black Sapphire with Individual Full Merino Ivory White and Piano Black Trim Previous Ride1: 2014 F30 M Sport 320D X-Drive Auto, Dakota Beige Leather, M Sport Brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, Paddle Shifters, 19" 403 Alloys, Folding Mirrors, Pro Sat Nav & Harman Kardon Surround Sound. Previous Ride2: 2004 E46 M Sport 320CI Auto, Montana Beige Leather & 18" 135M Alloys.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #4
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
Awesome, how I’ve lived without this is beyond me, ok so I am a big gadget geek but this is excellent.

To start with I had just the heating and water on it but when we drove past the house the other evening it was obvious nobody was in and after being cleaned out 3 years ago my paranoia got me.

I ordered the bulb for the kitchen and it’s unbelievably easy to use so it’s set to come on at 4pm when it goes dark, you can also dim it from your phone etc or use amazon echo.

We need to get it - 2 zone thermostat for heating, hot water and then see what else we can add - especially the lights for security. Any recommendations to getting started, costs etc?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
We need to get it - 2 zone thermostat for heating, hot water and then see what else we can add - especially the lights for security. Any recommendations to getting started, costs etc?
The stuff is dear, £18 for a bulb but I suppose it’s to be expected, my hive was £159 with £90 off on Amazon.

It’s the fact it can be controlled from anywhere that’s a bonus and it’s very easy to set up on a schedule and very easy to add each device.

I bought my stuff from Amazon but screwfix seem a touch cheaper.

It’s impossible to book the engineer on the hive site as it just wants to direct you to buying more stuff, book on live chat or phone them.

The engineers are British Gas, ours was a local bloke and did a great job, loads of advice etc
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #6
ioannisG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d F30

I’ve bought Tado a couple of years back as the Hive was not up to scratch feature wise back then (for example it did not offer automatic turn on and turn off the heating based on my phones location, so I did not need to setup adhoc schedules when coming home early or leaving the house at random times during the weekend).

Over the years they have made the system even better - outfitted all my rad vavles with their smart radiator valves. This was the cheapest way to setting up a multi zone setup in my house as it did not have separate circuits - living room, one for each bedroom and one for each bathroom. Allows for independent scheduling and temperatures for each room. Very helpful to keep the bedroom at a cool temp while bumping up the living room and the bathrooms. Also it gives more heat to the north facing bedroom that gets quite a bit colder than the others!

It’s been the best thing I’ve spend my money on the past couple of years, easily

https://www.tado.com/gb/
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 02:41 PM   #7
RickLS7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435D, Boxster 981S

I've had Hive since it first came out, I think it's great. You can control it anywhere, even when you cant receive mobile data you can still control it by sending a text. Also you dont need to get out of bed to turn the heating on (assuming your mobile is close at hand that is).

I haven't bothered with all the other gadgets that you can get for it though.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #8
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

I've used Hive since February 2014 so one of the very early adopters. Initially it was quite poor but with the new hub & updated app it now works a treat. I have 6 Hive active light bulbs too and they work brilliantly , can be dimmed from the phone & timed to turn on & off at differing times.

I agree it is good to be able to turn the heating/hot water on whilst still in bed.

I paid a one off fee of £160 in 2014 although now I think there is a monthly subscription which makes it expensive.

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2017, 03:43 PM   #9
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M_Sport View Post
I've used Hive since February 2014 so one of the very early adopters. Initially it was quite poor but with the new hub & updated app it now works a treat. I have 6 Hive active light bulbs too and they work brilliantly , can be dimmed from the phone & timed to turn on & off at differing times.

I agree it is good to be able to turn the heating/hot water on whilst still in bed.

I paid a one off fee of £160 in 2014 although now I think there is a monthly subscription which makes it expensive.
I've only got one bulb which arrived today, I wanted to see what it was like, if I get more are they all synced together or can they be activated individually?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #10
Lyndon_X3M
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F97 X3M Competition

Quote:

Very close to getting nest installed which is similar. Love all the home tech.

Had Philips Hue lights for a year or so now... not cheap but brilliant for day-to-day convenience. Sensor in Nursery which turns light on as a 'night light' when you walk in is brilliant for those middle of the night feeds.

Program whilst away on holiday which randomly fades lights on and off again brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #11
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Honest question - what’s the point? Is this just technology for technology’s sake?

Our heating comes on it the morning and evening and for the few times we are late from say work, I’m sure the extra hour of gas usage is next to nothing and timers on lamps keep the house looking occupied.

I don’t see the point of Alexa either. If we run out of bog roll, I’ll write a note on the fridge.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 03:59 PM   #12
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
Honest question - what’s the point? Is this just technology for technology’s sake?

Our heating comes on it the morning and evening and for the few times we are late from say work, I’m sure the extra hour of gas usage is next to nothing and timers on lamps keep the house looking occupied.

I don’t see the point of Alexa either. If we run out of bog roll, I’ll write a note on the fridge.
Jesus Christ.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 04:42 PM   #13
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:

You could get rid of the car and get a horse too. Who needs all that speed and comfort anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #14
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex440 View Post
You could get rid of the car and get a horse too. Who needs all that speed and comfort anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 04:53 PM   #15
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Jesus Christ.
Quote:
Rather than try to be smart why not just answer the question?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #16
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Rather than try to be smart why not just answer the question?
Are you writing your posts on your phone, maybe an I pad? What's the point, you could be sat doing it on a keyboard, with a monitor and tower under the desk. Still get the same results.

I've answered your question twice now, if you can't see the advantages of technology I can't say much more.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 05:13 PM   #17
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Are you writing your posts on your phone, maybe an I pad? What's the point, you could be sat doing it on a keyboard, with a monitor and tower under the desk. Still get the same results.

I've answered your question twice now, if you can't see the advantages of technology I can't say much more.
You’ve not answered anything and you know it.

Broncho is creaming his pants about this “can’t live without” gadget. I’ve simply asked what it brings to the party. So far, it appears to be nothing.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 07:08 PM   #18
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

Had Hive for years. It's great albeit slow to release updates. Also got HUE smart bulbs and motion sensors, Ikea Tradfi bulbs (much cheaper) all tied together using Home Assistant. Works fab
      12-15-2017, 07:18 PM   #19
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I think you're missing a big slice of valuable functionality.

Hive, Nest, or similar learning thermostats turn on the heating (and possibly the hot water) for the entire house. All or nothing, unless you split the heating system and they do not provide heating control on a room-by-room basis. To do that you need an electronic TRV system such as Evohome, Tado or Wiser.

We opted for Wiser. The product only launched a few weeks ago and there were some teething problems with the firmware, but now if works very well. Being able to set a heating schedule for each individual room, boost them when needed, and control all of this from in the home or away, all from an App is very useful.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #20
planemad
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 Audi SQ7 & 2019 AM DB11
Location: The Democratic Peoples Republic Of South East England

I have a system in my house made by Priva.
It connects straight into the network switch and use get full functionality from any device.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 10:20 PM   #21
ioannisG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d F30

Quote:

Not sure about Hive as I haven’t used it but with tado you can:
1. When you leave the house the heating turns down automatically and the further you go the lower it sets the house temperature saving you money. When you are on your way home it automatically preheats the house so it’s nice and warm before you arrive. It uses your phone’s gps and an app to automatically do that. So you always come back to a warm house without wasting any energy
2. Individual room temperatures and schedules without having a multi zone heating setup
3. Much more accurate temperature control. It reads the weather and adjusts for how long it heats your house so it doesn’t overshoot or undershoot the target temperature. It can keep the temperature to within .1-.2 degrees C which is simply astonishingly consistent. No more too hot/ too cold.
4. Automatic open window detection. If you open your windows it recognises it by he sudden drop in temperature and humidity. So it turns the heating off for a preset amount of time
5. Convenience- being able to remotely turn on and off the thermostat, change schedules etc
6. You can graph out how long and how much your heating was on for each day
7. It has a semi published api which you can use to pull / push data and commands from it. For example I’ve created a workflow running of my NAS that detects when the wife sets the thermostat to 25. And after 30 mins turns the heating back down so she doesn’t overheat the house, as she forgets to turn it down when I’m not there
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2017, 02:42 AM   #22
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Keep considering this & love the idea but most of our lights are led now, different shapes & styles of bulb. Can you get different styles as I've only seen the standard 'old fashioned' bulb for hive?

Heating / hot water wise it looks ace but I'd like to use more of the functions. Oh & do they now charge a monthly fee to do so?
Appreciate 0