F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > DIY: Adding more Ambient lighting, the OEM way
Extreme Powerhouse

11-25-2020, 02:40 PM   #1
Beau2795
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 F20 LCI 118d M Sport

DIY: Adding more Ambient lighting, the OEM way

Hi everyone!

I'm currently in the process of retrofitting more ambient lighting to my F20 LCI with lighting package from factory. I am underwhelmed with the amount of ambient lighting that came standard, so I'm adding more using all OEM BMW parts.
I'm making a full write-up over on the 2er forums, but since this retrofit can be done to nearly all F-series I'm posting a link here as well.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1776040
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 03:16 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

With respect to what you posted in the other forum, the reason why all the wiring is present is because it's much less expensive to have the same wiring harness installed in cars with different accessory packages than to use a different harness for each package. The reason why the lamps associated with the wiring aren't present is so they can charge for them in said accessory packages.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
Beau2795
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
With respect to what you posted in the other forum, the reason why all the wiring is present is because it's much less expensive to have the same wiring harness installed in cars with different accessory packages than to use a different harness for each package. The reason why the lamps associated with the wiring aren't present is so they can charge for them in said accessory packages.
I know all that, but my car is optioned with the Lighting package, so I should have all the lighting, that can be offered, pre installed. No F20 ever built has rear ambient lighting in the doors. It's not even present on newTIS when you look at the wiring diagram for the interior lighting. So when you think about it, it makes no sense for the wires to be there if they are not going to be used, ever. That's what surprised me when I found out it's all pre wired.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 03:00 AM   #4
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Additionally we have an extra DIY section and this is wrong placed here.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #5
Beau2795
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Additionally we have an extra DIY section and this is wrong placed here.
Okay, has everyone been stepped on their toes or what? This section is Cosmetic and LIGHTING MODIFICATIONS. I think it's pretty clear that what I'm doing is considered a LIGHTING MODIFICATION. So, the only thing wrong placed here is your comment.
If you don't have anything constructive to say, then please don't. Move on, thank you!

Last edited by Beau2795; 11-26-2020 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8217.50