F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Automatic Windshield Wipers
GetBMWParts

03-06-2019, 02:03 PM   #23
supermarket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi, 1996 328iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Ahhh.. I get you. That's what our 2018 Audi has as well. With that change, can you still bump the lever down to clear the windshield? Or does it need to click off auto to the "off position", and then you can do the bump down for clean? (That's what the stalk in our Audi does which is a PITA).
Single wipe is a momentary position, one down from “off”. You can’t reach it from Auto without transitioning through Off.

When I have the auto wipers on and decide that I need a quick wipe, what I do is flick the sensitivity wheel one notch and then move it back. Whenever you increase the sensitivity, you get an immediate wipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 04:44 PM   #24
silver.f30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i - Glacier Silver

Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree, it's not that hard to enable the feature when needed but I was hoping for a way to have it remember the setting. Coming from a 2008 C300, I used to leave the wipers in the auto setting and never thought about it. I think that's probably the only reason why it occasionally bothers me now
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 09:11 PM   #25
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermarket View Post
Single wipe is a momentary position, one down from “off”. You can’t reach it from Auto without transitioning through Off.

When I have the auto wipers on and decide that I need a quick wipe, what I do is flick the sensitivity wheel one notch and then move it back. Whenever you increase the sensitivity, you get an immediate wipe.
Gotcha. This is the same stalk design in the B9 Audi platform as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 12:22 AM   #26
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
No. If you have rain sensing, you don't have intermittent wipers on the F30.
My bad, was recalling the speed sensing function (goes intermittent on setting 1 when you are stopped)
Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      11-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #27
SJLenz1340
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post
I wish we had simple intermittent wipers. The automatic wipers never get the speed right especially on the freeway -- way too fast. Sometimes it starts spazing out despite having the sensitivity way down and I have to turn them off and back on again, to get them behaving half-right. It's lame.
Feeling your pain, my wife’s Eos has a better intermittent function than my BMW. I feel the auto feature is useless for the same reason. Wipers go crazy in even light rain, I coded sensitivity to its most insensitive level and the interior control on the slowest. Could the sensor be faulty? Curious minds and aggravated drivers want to know.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #28
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJLenz1340 View Post
Quote:
I wish we had simple intermittent wipers. The automatic wipers never get the speed right especially on the freeway -- way too fast. Sometimes it starts spazing out despite having the sensitivity way down and I have to turn them off and back on again, to get them behaving half-right. It's lame.
Feeling your pain, my wife’s Eos has a better intermittent function than my BMW. I feel the auto feature is useless for the same reason. Wipers go crazy in even light rain, I coded sensitivity to its most insensitive level and the interior control on the slowest. Could the sensor be faulty? Curious minds and aggravated drivers want to know.
I personally like the BMW automatic wipers and how they function. If they were on all the time they would be destroyed if anyone drove it through a car wash.
Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      11-05-2019, 04:10 PM   #29
scottmoyer
In the garage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermarket View Post

Since this is a hardware change, it’s not possible to “upgrade” older cars strictly through coding. You’d need the updated steering stalk switch cluster.
Quick question...Is this just replacing the stalk that will allow this feature to work like every other car on the road, or would I need some "cluster" hardware also. If the electronics support just replacing the stalk, I could seriously be all over this "upgrade".
      11-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #30
SJLenz1340
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I personally like the BMW automatic wipers and how they function. If they were on all the time they would be destroyed if anyone drove it through a car wash.
I personally do not take issue with having to enable auto mode each time the vehicle is started. What I do take exception to is the uncontrollability of wipers when in auto. As time progresses the wipers go crazy when little rain/moisture is present. So when in an auto mode that is not reasonably controllable I in effect do not even have an intermittent system, much like my ‘67 Chevy.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #31
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJLenz1340 View Post
I personally do not take issue with having to enable auto mode each time the vehicle is started. What I do take exception to is the uncontrollability of wipers when in auto. As time progresses the wipers go crazy when little rain/moisture is present.
Agree. It is a little strange to be driving at a steady speed in a steady rain only to have the wipers freak out occasionally and go into their fastest setting for a couple passes and then drop back into a stead state. Misty conditions seem to be the worst. The auto system can never seem to decide on the correct speed.

I've read similar complaints about the systems in Volvo's and Audi's so my expectations were not very high.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #32
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
I agree!!! Mine seem to do their own thing. Too fast or too slow and independent of how much it is raining.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 08:42 AM   #33
Neroht
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F36 430i xdrive LCI 2018

You can be happy that you have to push the button i have the new type that stays on i´ts shit if i forget to shut it of it starts 1 stroke when car start...cold here in sweden an i don´t want it moving...and signal shit too that don´t center at once..old was better i think.
Appreciate 0