F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > EGR Cooler Replacement
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-20-2018, 06:51 AM   #1
Ttrumpet
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 320 Efficient Dynamics
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
EGR Cooler Replacement

Hi.

I'm looking for some advice on replacing my egr cooler. I've got a 2012 f30 320ed with about 75000 miles on it. The engine light came on a few months ago so I had it checked out at a local independent bmw specialist. They found the whole egr system choked up with carbon so they walnut blasted the whole intake. They also found a small internal leak in the egr cooler which explains the loss of coolant I've been having. The cars running great now but I do need to get the cooler replaced.
When I've checked the part number for my car it's giving me this: 7823210

However after looking around I've also found this one: 7810751

As far as I can tell the only difference seems to be that the bypass pipe for my cooler is on the outside and the other cooler seems to have it internally I'm assuming given that it has a bypass flap on it.
When I've checked on realoem.com the 7810751 part says it is compatible with my make and year car so I'm wondering if this is an updated part as a few people I've spoken to have said the bypass pipes can break and start leaking exhaust gas into the engine bay.
I ask all of this because the original part for my car is proving difficult to get hold of whereas the other possible cooler is much easier to find, especially a low mileage used one. I could buy a new one for about £500 but I don't plan on keeping the car too much longer so it doesn't make good sense to me to spend a lot on it.

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this before I try it out.

Many thanks. Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #2
Cualainach
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 320D
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Aberdeen

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttrumpet View Post
Hi.

I'm looking for some advice on replacing my egr cooler. I've got a 2012 f30 320ed with about 75000 miles on it. The engine light came on a few months ago so I had it checked out at a local independent bmw specialist. They found the whole egr system choked up with carbon so they walnut blasted the whole intake. They also found a small internal leak in the egr cooler which explains the loss of coolant I've been having. The cars running great now but I do need to get the cooler replaced.
When I've checked the part number for my car it's giving me this: 7823210

However after looking around I've also found this one: 7810751

As far as I can tell the only difference seems to be that the bypass pipe for my cooler is on the outside and the other cooler seems to have it internally I'm assuming given that it has a bypass flap on it.
When I've checked on realoem.com the 7810751 part says it is compatible with my make and year car so I'm wondering if this is an updated part as a few people I've spoken to have said the bypass pipes can break and start leaking exhaust gas into the engine bay.
I ask all of this because the original part for my car is proving difficult to get hold of whereas the other possible cooler is much easier to find, especially a low mileage used one. I could buy a new one for about £500 but I don't plan on keeping the car too much longer so it doesn't make good sense to me to spend a lot on it.

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this before I try it out.

Many thanks. Tom
My own car is in the garage getting egr cooler and inlet manifold replaced.at great expense!

For me the cooler was so clogged it resulted in the inlet manifold melting.

No warning light whatsoever.

So my advice would be to change the cooler. Esp as its also leaking coolant.
Do the work youself and you an save a bit of money.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 03:32 AM   #3
Ttrumpet
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 320 Efficient Dynamics
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cualainach View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttrumpet View Post
Hi.

I'm looking for some advice on replacing my egr cooler. I've got a 2012 f30 320ed with about 75000 miles on it. The engine light came on a few months ago so I had it checked out at a local independent bmw specialist. They found the whole egr system choked up with carbon so they walnut blasted the whole intake. They also found a small internal leak in the egr cooler which explains the loss of coolant I've been having. The cars running great now but I do need to get the cooler replaced.
When I've checked the part number for my car it's giving me this: 7823210

However after looking around I've also found this one: 7810751

As far as I can tell the only difference seems to be that the bypass pipe for my cooler is on the outside and the other cooler seems to have it internally I'm assuming given that it has a bypass flap on it.
When I've checked on realoem.com the 7810751 part says it is compatible with my make and year car so I'm wondering if this is an updated part as a few people I've spoken to have said the bypass pipes can break and start leaking exhaust gas into the engine bay.
I ask all of this because the original part for my car is proving difficult to get hold of whereas the other possible cooler is much easier to find, especially a low mileage used one. I could buy a new one for about £500 but I don't plan on keeping the car too much longer so it doesn't make good sense to me to spend a lot on it.

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this before I try it out.

Many thanks. Tom
My own car is in the garage getting egr cooler and inlet manifold replaced.at great expense!

For me the cooler was so clogged it resulted in the inlet manifold melting.

No warning light whatsoever.

So my advice would be to change the cooler. Esp as its also leaking coolant.
Do the work youself and you an save a bit of money.
Thanks for your reply. I've actually already had the egr cooler cleaned out by a terra clean guy as that's what we thought was the problem. It didn't remove all the rest of the gunk from the rest of engine though which was the problem.
When I had it walnut blasted they said melting intake manifold is the next problem I could have if I didn't replace the cooler due to super heated coolant getting in there.

I've got all the tools to change it and I've had it off before but not sure which part will fit. Any ideas guys?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 01:58 AM   #4
Cualainach
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 320D
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Aberdeen

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttrumpet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cualainach View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttrumpet View Post
Hi.

I'm looking for some advice on replacing my egr cooler. I've got a 2012 f30 320ed with about 75000 miles on it. The engine light came on a few months ago so I had it checked out at a local independent bmw specialist. They found the whole egr system choked up with carbon so they walnut blasted the whole intake. They also found a small internal leak in the egr cooler which explains the loss of coolant I've been having. The cars running great now but I do need to get the cooler replaced.
When I've checked the part number for my car it's giving me this: 7823210

However after looking around I've also found this one: 7810751

As far as I can tell the only difference seems to be that the bypass pipe for my cooler is on the outside and the other cooler seems to have it internally I'm assuming given that it has a bypass flap on it.
When I've checked on realoem.com the 7810751 part says it is compatible with my make and year car so I'm wondering if this is an updated part as a few people I've spoken to have said the bypass pipes can break and start leaking exhaust gas into the engine bay.
I ask all of this because the original part for my car is proving difficult to get hold of whereas the other possible cooler is much easier to find, especially a low mileage used one. I could buy a new one for about £500 but I don't plan on keeping the car too much longer so it doesn't make good sense to me to spend a lot on it.

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this before I try it out.

Many thanks. Tom
My own car is in the garage getting egr cooler and inlet manifold replaced.at great expense!

For me the cooler was so clogged it resulted in the inlet manifold melting.

No warning light whatsoever.

So my advice would be to change the cooler. Esp as its also leaking coolant.
Do the work youself and you an save a bit of money.
Thanks for your reply. I've actually already had the egr cooler cleaned out by a terra clean guy as that's what we thought was the problem. It didn't remove all the rest of the gunk from the rest of engine though which was the problem.
When I had it walnut blasted they said melting intake manifold is the next problem I could have if I didn't replace the cooler due to super heated coolant getting in there.

I've got all the tools to change it and I've had it off before but not sure which part will fit. Any ideas guys?
Not sure about the part, but my mechanic mentioned purchasing the cooler direct from bmw as there are no aftermarket options.

Although you could try eBay for a used one...

So was the terra clean a waste of time? If you are now looking to replace the cooler?

Finally, with a new erg cooler and manifold, is there any other parts that can clog?
Just wondering of the longevity...or should I sell sooner than later...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 09:22 AM   #5
n00bkiller944
Private First Class
37
Rep
113
Posts

Drives: '14 328d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cualainach View Post
My own car is in the garage getting egr cooler and inlet manifold replaced.at great expense!

For me the cooler was so clogged it resulted in the inlet manifold melting.

No warning light whatsoever.

So my advice would be to change the cooler. Esp as its also leaking coolant.
Do the work youself and you an save a bit of money.
I'm amazed this could happen without a warning light or symptoms. That is scary.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #6
TattooedYorkie
New Member
TattooedYorkie's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2013 330D X Drive (Grey)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Just found this thread. I have a 2013 330D X drive M Sport and also suffered a partially melted inlet manifold in June 2017 - no warning lights, just an incredible amount of black smoke and stench entering the cabin.
I had it diagnosed and repaired at a local BMW indy workshop, it cost me 1238 in total. Two days ago my amber engine lamp came on and had it checked by my indy workshop which revealed EGR errors. Today I read about the latest BMW recall and made some calls. My car has now been transported to my local BMW dealer to have the issues remedied as I was experiencing all the classic signs of an EGR cooler failure - bad fume smells inside the cabin, coolant required topping up every week, amber engine lamp etc.
Once I receive my car back, I'm pursuing a reimbursement from BMW/dealer for last year's manifold failure (I have all the paperwork, invoice and also the manifold) - at the time, an email to BMW was responded to with "we've never heard of that, sorry we cannot help further"
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 01:27 PM   #7
Simon89
Private
Simon89's Avatar
United Kingdom
7
Rep
55
Posts

Drives: F30 330D XDrive
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedYorkie View Post
Just found this thread. I have a 2013 330D X drive M Sport and also suffered a partially melted inlet manifold in June 2017 - no warning lights, just an incredible amount of black smoke and stench entering the cabin.
I had it diagnosed and repaired at a local BMW indy workshop, it cost me 1238 in total. Two days ago my amber engine lamp came on and had it checked by my indy workshop which revealed EGR errors. Today I read about the latest BMW recall and made some calls. My car has now been transported to my local BMW dealer to have the issues remedied as I was experiencing all the classic signs of an EGR cooler failure - bad fume smells inside the cabin, coolant required topping up every week, amber engine lamp etc.
Once I receive my car back, I'm pursuing a reimbursement from BMW/dealer for last year's manifold failure (I have all the paperwork, invoice and also the manifold) - at the time, an email to BMW was responded to with "we've never heard of that, sorry we cannot help further"
Where abouts in North Yorkshire are you? I've just bought a 330D XDrive and was going to nip into the local BMW dealership in York to inquire about this recall as mine is a late 2013 model.
__________________
13' F30 330D XDrive
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 04:31 AM   #8
TattooedYorkie
New Member
TattooedYorkie's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2013 330D X Drive (Grey)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon89 View Post
Where abouts in North Yorkshire are you? I've just bought a 330D XDrive and was going to nip into the local BMW dealership in York to inquire about this recall as mine is a late 2013 model.
Hi mate
I live just between Middlesbrough andf Whitby, my car was picked up and taken to Cooper Teesside BMW (my local stealer)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 12:38 AM   #9
Beemn Milan
New Member
Beemn Milan's Avatar
New Zealand
6
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: F31 MSport/JCW Works Cup Car
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

I have just had a recall from BMW on this in NZ, its due to be replaced free of charge when the parts come in in the next 2 weeks along with some exhaust clamp
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #10
tomfromON
New Member
tomfromON's Avatar
8
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: 2014 328d xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: 1000 Islands, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I'm losing coolant slowly, approx. 1/2 litre total over 90 days and I suspect it's from the EGR cooler and can leak/burn with little to no external evidence without taking everything apart. Going to report it to my dealer next visit.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 11:13 AM   #11
Enabled
Private First Class
15
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: 328xd Wagon
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Do it before your egr cooler problem melts your intake manifold. Extreme case scenario, but it can happen.
__________________
-2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 245hp/400ft-lbs.
Others
-E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg Modded. S52 Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #12
Enabled
Private First Class
15
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: 328xd Wagon
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

For those that changed it, do you have pictures of the common leak spots?
__________________
-2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 245hp/400ft-lbs.
Others
-E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg Modded. S52 Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #13
FaRKle!
Captain
United_States
386
Rep
698
Posts

Drives: '17 328d Sport Wagon
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

EGR cooler recall notice just hit the US too.
Appreciate 3
      11-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #14
n00bkiller944
Private First Class
37
Rep
113
Posts

Drives: '14 328d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
EGR cooler recall notice just hit the US too.
Thanks for that link!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #15
cross90
Private
cross90's Avatar
United Kingdom
12
Rep
59
Posts

Drives: F31, 330d M-Sport
Join Date: May 2017
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I just had this safety recall in the UK, booked my F31 330d into my local BMW stealer for a routine service and they mentioned it was requiring the EGR cooler replacement due to a safety recall.

Had I opted for a service at an indy garage then I may not have heard about this being required for sometime!

I had a new EGR about 6 months ago under extended warranty, and the potential for this being a cause was never mentioned...

Is there possible underlying damage else where in my engine caused by this ?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #16
Beemn Milan
New Member
Beemn Milan's Avatar
New Zealand
6
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: F31 MSport/JCW Works Cup Car
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross90 View Post
I just had this safety recall in the UK, booked my F31 330d into my local BMW stealer for a routine service and they mentioned it was requiring the EGR cooler replacement due to a safety recall.

Had I opted for a service at an indy garage then I may not have heard about this being required for sometime!

I had a new EGR about 6 months ago under extended warranty, and the potential for this being a cause was never mentioned...

Is there possible underlying damage else where in my engine caused by this ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross90 View Post
I just had this safety recall in the UK, booked my F31 330d into my local BMW stealer for a routine service and they mentioned it was requiring the EGR cooler replacement due to a safety recall.

Had I opted for a service at an indy garage then I may not have heard about this being required for sometime!

I had a new EGR about 6 months ago under extended warranty, and the potential for this being a cause was never mentioned...

Is there possible underlying damage else where in my engine caused by this ?
Since its a recall on all diesels they are probably doing a sneaky fix for emissions at the same time before they get into trouble like vw!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #17
paulwtech
New Member
2
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: F31 320D N47 2014 EffDyn Auto
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I recently insisted my BMW dealership check for EGR Cooler failure after coolant loss with no apparent escape! Pressure test was ok; technician diagnosed egr Cooler failure & the dealership are raising a claim case with BMW even though my build doesn't currently appear on the UK BMW EGR Cooler recall technical campaign! More info here https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/10/23/b...lion-vehicles/
My build is a 2014 F31 320D N47 efficientDynamics auto
My advice; if you're coolant goes low for no apparent reason; take it to a dealership & demand a test regardless of whether your build is on a recall list or not, & fight your corner before anything catastrophic & costly occurs!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #18
paulwtech
New Member
2
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: F31 320D N47 2014 EffDyn Auto
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedYorkie View Post
Just found this thread. I have a 2013 330D X drive M Sport and also suffered a partially melted inlet manifold in June 2017 - no warning lights, just an incredible amount of black smoke and stench entering the cabin.
I had it diagnosed and repaired at a local BMW indy workshop, it cost me 1238 in total. Two days ago my amber engine lamp came on and had it checked by my indy workshop which revealed EGR errors. Today I read about the latest BMW recall and made some calls. My car has now been transported to my local BMW dealer to have the issues remedied as I was experiencing all the classic signs of an EGR cooler failure - bad fume smells inside the cabin, coolant required topping up every week, amber engine lamp etc.
Once I receive my car back, I'm pursuing a reimbursement from BMW/dealer for last year's manifold failure (I have all the paperwork, invoice and also the manifold) - at the time, an email to BMW was responded to with "we've never heard of that, sorry we cannot help further"
I recently insisted my BMW dealership check for EGR Cooler failure whilst my car was in for service after coolant went low twice with no warning and with no apparent escape! Coolant pressure test was ok; technician diagnosed egr Cooler failure & the dealership are raising a claim case with BMW even though my build doesn't currently appear on the UK BMW EGR Cooler recall technical campaign!
More info here: https://www.bmw.co.uk/landingpages/b...e-recalls#gref
And here: https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/10/23/b...lion-vehicles/
My build is a 2014 F31 320D N47 efficientDynamics auto
My advice; if you're coolant goes low for no apparent reason; take it to a dealership & demand a test regardless of whether your build is on a recall list or not, & fight your corner before anything catastrophic & costly occurs! BMW press release: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...86151EN/417072
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST